Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the carb on my raptor 660 and it seems like I can't get full throttle. It will idle fine. I did remove the pilot mixture screw and I counted what I thought was 15 full turns but I'm not having much luck.

Got any ideas? There was lots of fuel in the float chamber, so its not lacking any fuel.

Any help would be great! (This is the wife quad so.... I would like to get it running to make her happy!!)

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
127 Posts
did you check the vacume lines on top of the carb leading to the intake side of the carb? 15 turns on pilot screw? pilot should be tighted like the main jet... have you removed the rev limiters? parking brake and reverse sometimes short out without warning.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Counting turns to REMOVE is not what's important - counting turns clockwise until it barely seats IS what you needed to know. Since you now do not have that info, start at around 2.5 turns out from gently seated.

That said, fuel screw position has little to do with operation when on throttle.

What led you to rebuild the CARBS (not carb) and how was the bike running before?

What are your mods and what jet sizes (mains and pilots) are in them?

The pilot jets and fuel screws affect idle to 1/4 throttle, needles affect 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, and mains from 3/4 to wide open... where is your problem?

Describe, in detail, what exactly you did to 'clean the carbs' - what did you dismantle, how did you clean each component, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Does the quad have any mods. Pipe, airbox mods and other stuff will require you to need a bigger pilot jet and main. If you had no airbox lid and the stock main jet, it would seem to run better at 1/4 throttle and then start to fall on its face.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rebuilt the carb's because they were over fueling and putting gas in the oil. I bought a rebuild kit on eBay like this one.

Everything is stock on it.

My problem is pretty much everything over idle...

??

Brandon

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Have you considered that it could be one of the RPM limiters as outlined in "Most Common Raptor 660 Problems", a sticky in the general 660 discussion section?

You didn't describe how you 'cleaned' the carbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you considered that it could be one of the RPM limiters as outlined in "Most Common Raptor 660 Problems", a sticky in the general 660 discussion section?

You didn't describe how you 'cleaned' the carbs.
I pulled the carbs again last night. When I was tearing it apart the first time I read the Clymer Manual incorrectly about counting the pilot mixture screw(clockwise, not counterclockwise). I set the left one for 3 turns and the right one for 2.5 turns.

After that I inspected the main jets. Turns out, I was using the wrong ones. It looks like the kit that I ordered on eBay came with both 140's and I believe I was also using the other jet, whatever size it was. I just replaced them both with 140/145 L/R, (the way it says in the Clymer Manual).

I didn't do much cleaning just inspecting the parts. It looks pretty clean to me already specially the new parts that I was installing from the kit. I'm guessing the original problem with over fueling was the needle valve kit being all gummed up. It didn't look so good.

Hopefully I used all the correct terms above, I'm doing this from memory. Thanks for everyone's help. If I wouldn't of had this forum, I would have removed the carbs probably 2-3 more times. It run great now. I will be sure to turn the gas off and let it run out of fuel this time and every time I let it sit more then 2 days.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
i used that same shindy kit to rebuild mine and i had no probs with it at all thanks to QM advise. pretty good kit for the money too

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I to used the Shindy rebuild kit for my carb's. Great kit if you ask me. MIJ to NOT china..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts