Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to loosen the swing arm nut but the bolt head is just spinning. See the picture. There is no room to get a socket on here. I tried a tool that removes stripped bolts but it snapped. Is this normal for raptors or is it just this year?
Wheel Tire Crankset Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Looks to me like someone replaced the bolt. The oem bolt has flat sides, they line up with the flat sides in the hole so it cant spin. Have you tried an impact on the nut from the other side? Sometimes that "tap tap tap" from an impact can break it free even when they want to spin

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m using an electric impact, 7 1/2 amp. It’s pretty powerful, gets big jobs done but it doesn’t have enough power for this bolt and nut. When I use it, the bolt head just spins continuously.

I used a tap to try to stop that side from spinning but it sheared off. I was able to pop the broken tap out by pushing some all thread thru the bolt. Looks like the previous owner drilled a hole and used a piece of rounded steel to jam the bolt head to stop it from spinning. I cut off the tip of a #2 Phillips and stuck it in the hole. It’s not ideal. I soaked the nut with pb blaster and going to let it sit overnight.

I just ordered a swingarm pivot bolt from partzilla, the image shows a oblong bolt head. I’m praying it’s the right one. eBay is full of swingarm bolts that don’t have the oblong head, why the hell are they selling these for a raptor?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to check, does every year of raptor 660 have this style swingarm bolt? Where it’s recessed in the frame?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My 04 did, and my 06 and 07 raptors do also

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying your 03 and 01 have a hex style pivot bolt head?
I looked everywhere online for a swing arm pivot bolt that has an oval bolt head, no luck. Partzilla has a picture of a “rear arm bolt” with an oval head but it’s for the carrier.

·
Registered
Purple 2003 Raptor 660, .05 over bore, FMF slip on, Fullflight +2 A Arms
92 Posts
I looked everywhere online for a swing arm pivot bolt that has an oval bolt head, no luck. Partzilla has a picture of a “rear arm bolt” with an oval head but it’s for the carrier.
They are both oval-style bolts. When I took it off my 03, I just loosened the nut on the other side and used the end of my rachet to tap it out the other side.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
#24 in the link

Here is a link directly to the part

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I’m going to take a leap of faith and purchase the oem bolt hoping that it has the oval head described in this post. None of the eBay postings for a swingarm pivot bolt show an oval head. That’s so odd to me, even the ones that say oem.

Thanks for the confirmation that the stock bolt has this type of head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts