Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Santa" just delivered this to my son recently. Started fine and ran fine for a few weeks. Ran it in the snow one night and parked it no problem.
Next time trying to start it would not. New plug,Gas level fine,Run switch at handle bar is on.
It is getting spark but not a heavy blue spark,It looks more orange,red.
Is that normal? Choke plate screws are in place.
any suggestions on where to start?
Also,Not sure how to try and "bump" start since there is no clutch?
Put in netrual and have someone pull and throw into first?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Assuming it's an 80, to jump it, just put it in neutral, roll it and pop it into first. The quad does have a clutch, it's just not engaged/disengaged by your hand, it's used by your foot. When you shift, the first about 1/4 of the way up or down the shifter is going is used to disengage the clutch otherwise the small transmissions in these quads would break quite frequently from just getting jammed into gear so often.

If you hold the shift lever all the way up, or all the way down, the clutch will be disengaged and you will see that the quad will roll like it is in neutral. And then when you let go, the wheels will lock up, or if you are rolling fast enough the engine will start (jump start)...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is an 80 and yes I have tried the starter fluid both in the cyl head and in the carb multiple times.
(FYI-The carb is brand new installed by the local Yamaha dealer by the previous owner)

I have read about the valves may need to be adjusted on other threads?

ALso when I pull the plug and put my finger on the spark plug hole and start the puff of air feels very light.I dont have a compression tester.
I cant imagine the compression would fall off so sudden as it was running fine
the last time we used it with adequate power.

Anywhere to start would be appreciated.
Should the spark I am getting be Solid blue and large?
Could the weak spark be the reason it is not firing?
Bad or weak Coil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.During Valve clearance.Lined up at TDC. Line on the cam is correct.
However,Instead of intake valve being tight(as every thread says it should be) It has about 1/4 inch of play and WAY loose. Should I go ahead and tighten to correct specs? Cant believe it is that far out of spec.
Exhaust valve on the bottom is correct spec.
If I rotate 360 and not on compression stroke it is much tighter but manual states not to adjust on that stroke.
Will I cause any harm to go ahead and tighten her down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help!

Ok went ahead and tighten down Intake valve to spec.Exhaust was in spec.
Turns over fine just no start.. Battery has fresh charge.New plug.starter fluid.
I once again look at the spark and it looks weak(more orange/red) not heavy blue.
Is this normal ? Maybe weak coil?
Any suggestions before I take it to a stealership?
Im ready to wave the white flag....
Thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts