Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When switch is on, key turned, in neutral (glowing green), clicking starter button lights up the temp light, no click, no start. I can short the starter solenoid and start just fine.

New battery
New starter relay
Starts by shorting the starter relay
No click when pressing the starter button
On/off switch = on
Key turned = on
In neutral = green light glowing

Here are my voltage readings:
1) 12V voltage on yellow/black wire at the start relay with NO start button pushed
2) 0V voltage on yellow/black wire at the start relay WITH start button pushed

3) 12V voltage on blue/black wire at the start relay with NO start button pushed
4) 0V voltage on blue/black wire at the start relay WITH start button pushed

Help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned out the switch. It was pretty clean in there already. Also, because the temperature light lights up when I push the button every time, I believe that the issue must be something other than the starter switch.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Check for 12V at yellow/black on solenoid... does it stay 12V when you press start button?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Okay, you have a CDI problem. You can fix it temporarily by jumpering 12V to yellow/black from the battery plus terminal...

If that works then you can cut yellow/black and connect the solenoid end of it to red/black.

This provides 12V to the solenoid (instead of from the damaged CDI transistor) when the key switch is on and run/stop switch is in run - but there's no neutral safety. If you're interested I can tell you how to rewire to get some safety back.

The goal is to prevent you from having to buy a new CDI!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, you have a CDI problem. You can fix it temporarily by jumpering 12V to yellow/black from the battery plus terminal...

If that works then you can cut yellow/black and connect the solenoid end of it to red/black. This provides 12V to the solenoid when the key switch is on and run/stop switch is in run - but there's no neutral safety.

If you're interested I can tell you how to rewire to get some safety back.

The goal is to prevent you from having to buy a new CDI!

Good luck!
I might be ok with buying a new cdi. I can’t seem to locate where it is on the quad.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Under the seat by the solenoid.

I go overboard about making it work without replacing parts because it seem that most people here are somewhat allergic to spending money...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts