Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have not been riding much, stored in garage and will randomly start it up and let it idle and sometimes take it up and down the street just to keep all the juices flowing so to speak. It stalled on me and is showing a code 12. It will not turn over and when I hit the start button the check engine light will flash continuously, otherwise it will just flash a code 12. No clicking or any sound at all. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Battery. Charge, or replace if its bad. Check with a multimeter or at your local auto parts store

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery will hold a charge, it would normally start it right up no problem, this is something else. It's flashing a code 12, I've watched a few videos saying different things. Not sure what to start with, magneto? Starter relay? I'm not the best with checking things with a multi meter although I do have one. I'm guessing it's a failed part, everything on the bike is original. Any ideas?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
Code 12 covers a lot of functions. But, TEST YOUR BATTERY. 12.5 volts is considered 50% discharged. Full charge is 13.6 - 14.2 volts. Trickle/float charge for a few days. Also, test your fuses with a test light or meter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As others have said check your battery. Then check that none of the wires either side of the starter relay are corroded. I had the same problem with my 700 about a week ago. i started stressing thinking i was going to have to pay up but after cleaning up all my connections i solved the problem. Just clean up all your connections with some sand paper and WD-40, then use a small amount to dialectical grease. Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is fine, has plenty of voltage to start the bike. I checked the wires on either side of the starter relay and they are not corroded at all. Any idea on what else to try? Could the starter relay itself be bad?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
It's possible the relay is bad. But before you start changing parts, what is your battery voltage?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I once knew a guy that had a quad with the same problem. He thought his battery was good because it would turn the motor over. He replaced a bunch of stuff to no avail. As a last ditch he REPLACED his battery and it started right up. Just sayin'. If you don't know how to test the voltage with your multimeter then just ask. (you did say you weren't proficient with it) These forum peeps have always been pretty helpful. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, battery was just under 13 volts I believe. For the hell of it I bought a relay off ebay, it was too cheap of a part to pass up. Under $20, came in mail super fast. Connected to bike, fired right up. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow just to make sure all is good but for now it seems the relay was bad. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just saw the post. I hade same error code 12, it was a loose wire from the starter relay, BUT, when I hit the start button it make a "TIC" noise, the relay was working fine. So if your relay dont make that "TIC" noise its highly probable the relay its bad. Hope it helps and you can fix it fast and cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts