Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping someone can help
Me out here, I have a 2006 raptor 700. It has a rebuilt engine. Everything is in top notch shape mechanically. I added a big gun evo r full exhaust system, a power commander 5, and stage 1 hot cams. After the hotcam install it was lean and at low rpm was falling on its face so I took it to the dyno for some tuning.. here’s where my issue is. I have a slightly modded raptor. That I would hope has at least 40WHP but the final numbers were 34WHP 44crank. Is this normal? Is something wrong with my setup or my bike?

·
Super Moderator
9,084 Posts
Those cams are not helping at all. Stage 3 would be more beneficial. Bet you have good torque though. I started with same exhaust set up but started with HC2, then was more happy with the 3

·
Registered
755 Posts
I’m hoping someone can help
Me out here, I have a 2006 raptor 700. It has a rebuilt engine. Everything is in top notch shape mechanically. I added a big gun evo r full exhaust system, a power commander 5, and stage 1 hot cams. After the hotcam install it was lean and at low rpm was falling on its face so I took it to the dyno for some tuning.. here’s where my issue is. I have a slightly modded raptor. That I would hope has at least 40WHP but the final numbers were 34WHP 44crank. Is this normal? Is something wrong with my setup or my bike?
Does it seem slow?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
You need a free flow intake system.
What's the piston compression?
If stock, you need a Stage 2 cam.
If 11:1 or better, a Stage 3 cam.
Are you willing to spend some money??

Reactions: Brodielewis

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those cams are not helping at all. Stage 3 would be more beneficial. Bet you have good torque though. I started with same exhaust set up but started with HC2, then was more happy with the 3
Do you know what your HP is now? And you’re right. My torque line is very linear. It’s great. I’m just disappointed with the HP. I thought it would be more.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it seem slow?
I’ll be honest, I haven’t had a chance to really test it yet, the dyno has an MX track out back and I tried it there but it was hard to tell, I’m not an mx rider so I couldn’t really make use of the track. I’m hoping to get out for a run this week and I’ll know more

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a free flow intake system.
What's the piston compression?
If stock, you need a Stage 2 cam.
If 11:1 or better, a Stage 3 cam.
Are you willing to spend some money??
Stock compression, I’ve thought about an instake system but I run in a lot of mud and water and fear that change. Maybe that’s a foolish fear. If it would help I would try. I’m also worried I’m over oiling my filter. I have IPONE spray oil and it’s hard to tell so I feel like maybe I over oil. Which would starve it for air as well

·
Super Moderator
9,084 Posts
Do you know what your HP is now? And you’re right. My torque line is very linear. It’s great. I’m just disappointed with the HP. I thought it would be more.
Currently I run on the cusp of 70hp, but a lot more done than just the Big 3, read the sig below. So it sounds like you are running stock air filter? Man, get rid of that to complete your initial start of the Big 3. Is that exhaust a true dual set up, from the head back or just a slip on? I have always ran without the air lid with my first aftermarket air filter and with the current FCI, it is the box version, no lid. When I run through water it’s slow anyway, I don’t intentionally seek water puddles.

·
Super Moderator
9,084 Posts
FCI intake if you can swing it, then no matter what mods you do in the future it covers it. Honestly a pro design foam filter set up works for a majority of riders. I run that in one of our Raptors and have been happy with it. KBmotorsports.com has them for $112.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently I run on the cusp of 70hp, but a lot more done than just the Big 3, read the sig below. So it sounds like you are running stock air filter? Man, get rid of that to complete your initial start of the Big 3. Is that exhaust a true dual set up, from the head back or just a slip on? I have always ran without the air lid with my first aftermarket air filter and with the current FCI, it is the box version, no lid. When I run through water it’s slow anyway, I don’t intentionally seek water puddles.
I am running a stock filter, I’ll have to upgrade I guess. The exhaust is a full exhaust but a single not a dual.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FCI intake if you can swing it, then no matter what mods you do in the future it covers it. Honestly a pro design foam filter set up works for a majority of riders. I run that in one of our Raptors and have been happy with it. KBmotorsports.com has them for $112.
I’m really nervous about the fci because of how open it is. I often end up in deep water and there are a lot of water holes on our trails. It’s not avoidable where I live. We don’t have quad parks with maintained trails unfortunately. We have a trail system that the snowmobile club has set up and when the snow melts we can use it. Haha but it’a muddy. But the pro design option seems good. And I can put a frog skin on it and take the lid off

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
My suggestions;

"Pro Design Pro Flow" filter kit and a Outerwear's filter cover. Fits factory air box.

Find a Outerwear to fit the air cleaner snorkel. IIRC, a Honda 90 fits.

A kit (6 I think) of 1 inch, "uni filters", air cleaner vents. Drill the air cleaner lid and install all of them in between the bracing, There's room for at least 10 if you want more. Add 1 drop of oil to each.

Stage 2 cam for your existing piston compression.

Rebuild with a CP 11:1 compression piston, maybe 11.5:1 depending on elevation, and Stage 3 cam. Pump gas safe.

+3 bored throttle body.

Head porting by a qualified builder, not your uncle in his garage.

True dual exhaust. Watch your local Craig's list or offer-up.

Add a few drops of red food color or trans fluid to your air cleaner oil so you know how much you apply. After applying, let sit for a few hours, then squeeze out as much as you can. It's then ready to use.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My suggestions;

"Pro Design Pro Flow" filter kit and a Outerwear's filter cover. Fits factory air box.

Find a Outerwear to fit the air cleaner snorkel. IIRC, a Honda 90 fits.

A kit (6 I think) of 1 inch, "uni filters", air cleaner vents. Drill the air cleaner lid and install all of them in between the bracing, There's room for at least 10 if you want more. Add 1 drop of oil to each.

Stage 2 cam for your existing piston compression.

Rebuild with a CP 11:1 compression piston, maybe 11.5:1 depending on elevation, and Stage 3 cam. Pump gas safe.

+3 bored throttle body.

Head porting by a qualified builder, not your uncle in his garage.

True dual exhaust. Watch your local Craig's list or offer-up.

Add a few drops of red food color or trans fluid to your air cleaner oil so you know how much you apply. After applying, let sit for a few hours, then squeeze out as much as you can. It's then ready to use.
So I’m working on this list, I’m looking for a stage 2 cam to replace my stage 1 that I’m not happy with now. But I’ll be leaving the piston the way it is, then doing the +3 throttle body I think! Any help on finding a good source for parts in Canada would be appreciated! I have trouble with ebay.. I don’t trust stuff. Haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts