Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a raptor 700 that I bought in none running condition. The neutral switch sensor was bad so I started their and replaced both the neutral and reverse sensor and I got the bike to turnover but it was slow cranking so I pulled the starter and did a bench test and it sounded like it was at the end of its life so I replaced the starter and solenoid. After I replaced that the bike slowly cranked over a couple times and then cranked as should and ran for 10 seconds and died. It sounded healthy when it ran for the 10 seconds. But we are back to a slow crank and it sounds like it has a bind somewhere. But when I pull the plug and crank the bike turns over much quicker as it should. Do you guys have any ideas on what if could be?

·
Administrator
9,367 Posts
How is the battery and spark plug condition? Is this a completely stock bike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What year is it? Check connections on positive and negative battery cables (where they connect to main fuse block) pop in a new fuse while you're there. They are cheap. I would also check valves for sure! Thumpers are notorious for not wanting to run if the valve lash is tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a 2006 a had already checked the cables put in a new fuse I will check out the valves and see if they need adjusting I feel like it’s possibly the valves at this point but just wanted to check and see if anyone else has ran into this similar issue

·
Registered
36 Posts
It’s a 2006 a had already checked the cables put in a new fuse I will check out the valves and see if they need adjusting I feel like it’s possibly the valves at this point but just wanted to check and see if anyone else has ran into this similar issue
Mine is an 06 as well. I had a "similar" issue. Mine would start fine but once it warmed up it would stumble and sometimes die. But totally intermittently. It would do it more if I was riding on rough terrain. After testing every sensor and component I figured it had to be a harness issue. I put in a new year 13-14 harness and now it runs like a new bike. I'm hoping your issue is something simple. Valve adjustment is a good place to start...then maybe tps position. These 06 had a few issues being the first year with a complete new system. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as I know it’s the stock cam I haven’t done a compression test on it yet it seems to have good compression. I was also curious if that was a possibility I know the 660 raptor had issues with decompression pin but I wasn’t sure if the 700 had a similar set up that could fail or what

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do I did a compression test and adjusted valves the intake valves were a little loose so I adjusted those to the manual suggestion the compression test came back high it was putting out about 79 and the manual says it should be around 64 would that be high enough that the auto decomp isn’t working?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just watched a video by 2 vintage. He was working on a yfz450 that was slow cranking. He found rust in the kill switch/headlight switch block. Cleaned out the rust with wd40, worked the switches back a fourth a few times, and slow cranking went away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it doesn’t always slow crank it will crank over 3 times with the spark plug in then have a slow crank. It also cranks fine with spark plug out. Since the decomp assembly and pin are so cheap I’m going to replace it anyways and see what happens. If it doesn’t work I will definitely be checking out other options

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know you said you checked the battery cable, however battery cables look good but fail a load test with flying colors. Have you noticed any change in starting rotation power with jumper cables connected?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts