Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for everyone. I recently got a new Raptor 700SE and am right around 20 hours of riding time on it now. Im looking into when i should first service it and what i should have done in the first service. I read the yamaha manual and it says first service at 20 hours. Do i have to hold true to this?

The reason i ask is because i have it scheduled for a tune-up (oil change air filter, etc. They said valves shouldnt need checked if i have no problems starting or anything, which i dont) this friday, but my buddies just got their quads all fixed up now and want to go riding all weekend. My problem is that they will need my quad for friday and saturday cause they only have one guy in service that day.

Would it be ok if i rode all weekend and had it done a couple weeks later when i come back home? (quad is stored at home. i come home to visit every so often) My guess would be like at the most 10 hours of riding time or so this weekend i will put on it.

It seems to be running just fine. no problems that i can see or tell. Just dont want to miss a good riding weekend cause i may not be back home in a while. Will it hurt to wait until next time i come home to have it serviced?

thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
It should be fine for that weekend but dont exagerate on the throttle. Your still on the break-in process. Once your ride is done change the oil and oil filter then i would adjust my valves also. You can do it all yourself its way easy. I would trust myself before a freakin dealer ever touches my rappy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, ive been stayin clear of wide open, especially since im in the break in period. I do ride to have fun and do get up on it, but never crazy or wide open. Ive been told to not be afraid to put the throttle in, just never for long periods of time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sometimes i wonder whats "too" much when i ride while im in the breakin period.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, i dont know anything nor do i have time to learn right now. Full time job and going back to school and the quad is 4 hours from me. So a dealer is what i will have to do. I just need to know what to ask for. After this weekend, i should be around 30 hours or so. Ill take it easy this weekend and get er done next time i come home.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Its all good then...But id still take the time to do it myself...Dealers bah! If you want him to adjust them for you...Your looking at 150$ to 250$. Doing it yourself takes about an hour 30 minutes...Yup its that easy and a great way to learn...Id rather keep my money than give it away. I know as you stated your real busy... not busy to ride but busy enough not to wrench on it. Come on try it and you will be so glad you did just follow MPLEAVER's thread on this subject. Im doing mine again come august LOL. Its fun...

Take care bro and be carefull this weekend for your next ride...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i will get into doing that stuff myself sooner or later. It will save me money. Im just happy now that it will be ok if i ride this weekend and wait till next time i come home to get it serviced.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Ya but dont F around! If you say your going to do it next time around DO IT! No sense in breaking it in further than it needs to be LOL. Also light blips on the throttle wont hurt from time to time. Im saying this because your engine is taking its place and getting rid of some little metal shavings left inside the motor and these roll around with the oil so its not always good to go overboard on the time frame stated in your manual. 10 hours shouldent be that bad...I know your going to take good care of it...So how do you like it so far?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AMAZING! I thought about MODS, but after witnessing the power firsthand, i dont need any additional HP or power. Its awesome. Couldn't be happier.

Yeah, i just called service and they can get it done friday as long as i bring it in early friday morning. They are gonna do oil change, oil filer, air filer, chain, and grease fittings and check fluids. Said it was 45$ for an hours labor plus parts, like oil. so i figure around 70-80, which is ok with me for right now. I asked him about valves, and he told me everything i need to look out for while riding to hint about needing valve adjustments. Everything he told me seems fine with my machine, but im gonna keep a close eye on it till next service at 50 hours or so, which i will do the adjustments then.

Thanks frenchie.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Anytime bro my pleasure!!! We are all here to help each other. Ya i like the power also i just need the big 3 to let it breath like it should...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hope you have dropped the oil before you hit the 20 hour mark.
I've done mine at 2 hours and then again at five.
I would keep a check on the level because they can use a bit during break in.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Bizarre mine dident seem to take a drop! Break-ins are a pain but the better the break-in the better the ring seal and the longer you will have it and also helps with gas guzzling. Mine sure was a pig on gas until the break-in was properly done. Now it guzzles the gas but sheesh man i can go more than 100 km now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts