Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has probably been over killed but listen to my variables. I am going to Pismo this coming weekend with my brother and he just bought a 2010 YFZ450X. It's 3 weeks old and he has been modding the heck out of it for this trip probably trying to beat me in a drag. I am 6'3 and weigh about 240. All my Raptor work is in my signature. It dyno'd at 62.61 HP and about 48.50 TQ. I run 8 paddle haulers on 20X10X10.

His setup: He weighs about 180 and he is going to run 6 paddle extremes 21X12X8. He has Monsters Big Core Single Exhaust, MSD, 2006 YFZ450 OEM Cam, Stock Air Box with Lid Off (he has the FCI Intake with box coming). He had it tuned and dyno'd yesterday and he is getting a little over 46 HP and about 30 TQ.

Giving all the variables, who do you think will win in a sand drag?

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
You will win. I raced a R version and he and I both had the big three and I would win by half a length, and every one I had a terrible start (wheelies lol).

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
You should easily beat him with 62 hp and him with 46, i know you weigh more by 60 lbs but thats minimal, his bike only weighs 17lbs less than yours, my buddy has a big 3 yfz 450R and i have a big 3 rappy and i weighed 100 lbs more than him @ that time (160 to 260) and most times i would beat him depending of course how good my launch was and that drag racing in a sandy wash. So what im sayings is if the hp was closer it would be close but since its not close it shouldn't be close, thats if you know how to launch and short shift.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your Raptor should pull his 450 no prob but as stated, the race will decide! Side question.. Why'd he get a 450x instead of 450r?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He got the 450X Bill Balance Edition because they had it majorly on sale compared to the 450R. He figures to change the suspension, a-arms and rear axle, so he went for the cheaper sale item.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You'll be able to take him no prob.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you will crush him.. I have the big three and have raced a 2009 yfz450r that has big three and crushed him. Then he got it bored to 480 and I still beat him. So you are good.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
700R's are monsters for hill climbs and straight a ways. If I lived by dunes, I'd still have mine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I know my paddles aren't the best size for sand dragging. However, I love the look of them. Dragging is such a small part of what I do, so I really don't want the bulbis balloons on my quad.....lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Take him in the race and post it so we can say...."i told you" lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will let you all know.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I know my paddles aren't the best size for sand dragging. However, I love the look of them. Dragging is such a small part of what I do, so I really don't want the bulbis balloons on my quad.....lol

I would actually like to try a tire like what you are talking about. We have lots of trails in ours dunes and I would like to have a tire that slides a little better than the ballons that I use, but after running the ballons its hard to back to something that dosn't hook up well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think mine hook up very very well. I remember back when i got mine, everyone was using them and said the only advantage of the balloon tires is a more floaty ride. It seemed back then the question was 8 or 10 paddles. Now the new thing apparently is less paddles. (6 or 7 with balloon tires on skat trak extremes) Go figure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts