Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Raptor 700 with a FMF powerbomb header, K&N filter without airbox lid, and a FMF programmer. It will not idle or run. You can get it to run for like 5-10 seconds by messing with the throttle. The TPS is .6v at idle and 3.9v at WOT. The valves have been set and the timing marks are in line. Compression Test is 90psi and manual says 64psi. Fuel pressure is 47psi, and even tried running it off a canister set at 50psi and made no difference. It just pops out the intake and wont hardly run. I have also unplugged the FMF programmer and it made no change. Im running out of ideas any help is greatly appreciated!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,695 Posts
Popping out the intake could be a leaking valve. Buy, or make a air fitting to fit the spark plug hole. With valves closed, presurize the cylinder. You shouldn't hear any air out the intake, exhaust or crankcase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So did a leak down test and it was good, less than a 5% drop. Also pulled the side cover off to check the flywheel key as the flywheel nut kept coming loose during the leak down test. So still runs crappy and wont even really idle, with or without the programmer makes no difference.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Have you tried a NEW spark plug?

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
More info needed. Did it just start doing this out of nowhere? After a crash? Did you buy it like this? Did you just rebuild it? Is it all original? (internally)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info needed. Did it just start doing this out of nowhere? After a crash? Did you buy it like this? Did you just rebuild it? Is it all original? (internally)

The kid was messing with the FMF programmer and since then it wont idle or runs like crap if you can get it to start. But with or without the programmer it doesnt make a difference. Has a powerbomb header and K&N filter without an airbox lid.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Put the airbox lid back on and see if it runs better. If so, either your tuner settings need to be changed to richen it up, or the tuner isnt working at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the airbox lid back on and see if it runs better. If so, either your tuner settings need to be changed to richen it up, or the tuner isnt working at all

The ATV was bought without an airbox lid so i dont have one. I will try richening the tuner up and see if it will make a difference, but its kind of hard as it wont really stay running long enough to adjust the programmer, as it has to be running to adjust.

·
11,695 Posts
Be sure the air cleaner is clean and not over oiled.

Recheck the TPS, not just minimum and maximum, but also a slow, swing, all the way thru.

What color is the plug?

Check for intake manifold leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure the air cleaner is clean and not over oiled.

Recheck the TPS, not just minimum and maximum, but also a slow, swing, all the way thru.

What color is the plug?

Check for intake manifold leaks.

Air Cleaner looks new and not over oiled. If i take the air filter off and spray carb cleaner down the intake every few seconds it will idle. I pulled the injector and its spraying a fan pattern.

Also verified the TPS and its .65v at idle and 3.9v at WOT and smooth raise in voltage as you apply the throttle.

The plug is a light black color as its fairly new. The old plug was a black color.

Soaked the intake boot with carb cleaner and still didn't make a difference.

So its clearly not getting enough fuel, im just unsure as to why. If its too far from stock to idle without the programmer and the programmer is bad and doesnt change anything while its on there. I even tried blocking off part of the intake tube while the filter was off and it still wouldn't idle on it own.

·
11,695 Posts
Disconnect the fuel pump hose, at the tank or injector, and connect a hose going to a remote container. Disconnect the electrical connector, then jump 12 volts to the fuel pump. Check for continued flow from the tank to the container for at least 30 seconds.

I once had a internal leak on a fuel pump hose that drove me batty for a day.
Or the sock could be dirty.

Of course, do this carefully and have a fire extinguisher handy!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disconnect the fuel pump hose, at the tank or injector, and connect a hose going to a remote container. Disconnect the electrical connector, then jump 12 volts to the fuel pump. Check for continued flow from the tank to the container for at least 30 seconds.

I once had a internal leak on a fuel pump hose that drove me batty for a day.
Or the sock could be dirty.

Of course, do this carefully and have a fire extinguisher handy!!

Tried this and it always pumps fuel, also fuel pressure is within spec. Also tried running it off a fuel injection canister set at the correct pressure and still wont idle. It will half ass idle for a few seconds when cold but when hot its even worse. Do you think stator or pickup could cause this? (I dont see how as spraying carb cleaner down the intake will make it keep running.)

I got a scanner and hooked it up and there were a few codes of stuff that I've unplugged other than the crank sensor. But i erased them and they havent came back. I also checked the ECU TPS and it said 16 degrees at idle to 95 degrees at WOT. IAT and Coolant temp also read correct. The map sensor read 100kpa which is correct but it wouldn't change while cranking and it should. So im thinking this might be the issue but i checked the MAP again the next day when it was cold and it was reading on the scan tool then.

·
11,695 Posts
A new plug shouldn't be blackish unless the fuel enrichment is adding to much fuel after starting.
Have you checked the plug "gap"?
You never mentioned battery voltage. It should be around 13.5 to start, and 14+ volts when it runs.
Maybe, jump the battery from your wife's or girlfriends car.
You mentioned 'crank sensor', how did it test?
Check the TB as well as exhaust for obstructions or critters nests?
Bad coil?
Bad coolant temp sensor?
Ignition timing?
ECU?

Whatever you find, I have most electrical parts you might need.

Where do you live?

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Ya, where do you live? Maybe someone is close and can let you borrow some parts to swap out, like an airbox lid or an old programmer laying around. I still think its thirsty for more fuel because you say it runs fine when sraying into the intake. Ive been wrong before though! Lol. Hey, another member recently had start and idle problems too. Turned out his throttle was slightly stuck open causing it to idle terribly or not start at all

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts