Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Raptor 250. I just bought my son an 08 Raptor 250 and not sure which exhaust to get. Which seem to be the most popular and do I have to rejet? Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
lexx is what my boys got

·
Registered
836 Posts
For absolute best performance, I would go with the 2 brothers because they are the most free flowing. But they are also very noisy..

The Lexx exhaust as 250raptorx2 pointed out is a very nice exhaust as well, and there are multiple baffle inserts to lower noise output or give you more free flow for more power.

FMF makes nice exhausts

HMF also..

you really can't go wrong with any of them. Pick the one you think looks the nicest and go for it!

·
Registered
836 Posts
After installing the exhaust, jetting is a must. Not only is it bad for the engine to not rejet after you installed a more free flowing exhaust on it, but you will also loose performance...

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you don't want to spend alot of money, you could:

Un-cork the stock exhaust (remove resonator)
Remove the air box lid
install Jet kit

If money is no object you could just stick with Yamaha products for it:

Get the GYT-R head-pipe and install the GYT-R exhaust
remove air box lid and install the GYT-R filter kit
install the GYT-R jet kit

FMF and CT Racing are some other exhaust I've seen

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
They all seem pretty much the same but there can be quite a difference, where in the power band you feel the power is the difference between them. For instance, my DRD is said to be a great bottom end exhaust and I can feel it, with its stepped pipe size header which starts out smaller than stock then gets bigger and also takes a longer path through the frame (like stock). The CT is more of a top end pipe because it has a larger header diameter and goes straight back from the head instead of routing through the frame.

·
Registered
836 Posts
are you looking for a full exhaust or just a slip on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
exhast

Go with the fmf power bomb headpipe and the power core 4 muffler. I have this system on my 08 250. It works awsomeand the gytr jet kit

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Overall I say go for the HMF then if that's what he wants. Is it the new HMF with three inserts or the old one?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Overall I say go for the HMF then if that's what he wants. Is it the new HMF with three inserts or the old one?
There is no "new" and "old" HMF exhaust. There are 2 different models... There is the "Performance Series" and the "Competition Series."

There performance series is the kind of "odd" looking one if you ask me. Not a fan of the downwards angled tip they put on it.
The Competition Series HMF is the nicer looking one, and it has the multiple inserts for different power and noise level outputs...

Judging from the pictures you can probably guess which one is the performance series, and which one is the competition series..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The Comp series is the one I meant, couldn't think of the names. I like the looks of it way more than the Performance series

·
Registered
836 Posts
Get the dmc dual exhaust
As cool as the duals look. They are kind of stupid to have on a single cam 2 valve motor.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just a slip on.
Well, you really can't go wrong with either the Lexx Slip on, or the HMF Competition Series slip on.. They are both great from what I have heard from others.

Personally if I were to choose from either of them, I would probably get the Lexx, and I would use the difference in cash to do some more upgrades to the motor...

·
Registered
836 Posts
the 700 is a shoc with 4 valves. i wouldnt knock it unless you've tried it have you tried it? http://www.dmc-on-line.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=181&zenid=1a44801c32254256b97048e00d88c975
notice on how the 700 there are 2 exhaust ports? You see how there are 2 separate headers coming out of the head?
Thats because you have 2 exhaust valves and yamaha designed the head so that there is an exhaust port for each exhaust valve. Because of this cylinder head design, the 700 can really take advantage of the dual exhausts, which is why the DMC's and the Barker Duals are so popular...

On the 250, we have 1 exhaust valve, which means that we only have 1 exhaust port. So really, the duals on the 250 is kind of a waste because, the 250 can't really take advantage of the dual exhausts like the 700 can. And I don't think (don't know this for a fact) that the dual exhausts makes any more performance difference than just having a regular DMC exhaust on there...

·
Registered
836 Posts
But they do look incredibly sick! and they aren't that bad on the price either

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone try DG? I was thinking HMF or Lexx but I see DG on ebay for $149.99 free shipping. Just thought it was a great price or is it worth the extra $ for the others?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts