Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Raptor 350. Recently rebuilt motor. Runs strong. When I got it, the stator was fried. I replaced with an RM stator and it ran great for about 6 months. Then it went bad. I replaced that with an OEM, and it ran great for another 6 months. Seems like its starting to act up again. Runs great for about 3-5 minutes. After that, it will intermittently die. It immediately restarts. Dies again about 30 seconds later. Only odd thing I noticed is that I have to pull in the clutch sometimes to start it even though it is in Neutral. I don't want to keep replacing stators. Is there some mechanical issue that would explain this? Usually I have noticed that when stators go bad, they just stop. I have changed the coil, battery, rectifier and put a brand new key switch and wiring harness. Only thing I have not changed is the CDI... Anybody have a similar experience? All grounds are good. When riding it, it runs strong.... then it acts like someone turned the key off for about 2 seconds... then comes right back to life. Usually just pulling in the clutch will keep it running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I was writing the post, it occurred to me that the clutch switch may be the common denominator. I went back outside and unplugged the switch and, so far.. no issues.. I ordered another switch. Any luck, my issue was just solved with a fraction of the cost of another stator.

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
Keep us posted on how this continues please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could use some insight to this if anyone has any.. I've identified the issue... just doesn't make sense to me. I ordered another clutch switch thinking it was the problem. Put the new one on.. and back to the same old problem. As soon as I unplug it.. problem solved. What I don't understand is.. I was of the understanding that the only purpose the clutch switch served was to prevent the CDI from sending the signal to the starter if the motor was not in Neutral and was trying to be started. It appears that it is intermittently shorting out the ignition system. I would say it almost acts live a rev limiter except it completely shorts the ignition. As soon as I pull the clutch in while its happening, motor comes back to life. Is there some logic built in to the CDI that would explain this? This points me toward the CDI box. The only rev limiter I can think of on a Raptor 350 would possibly be when it is in Reverse. I think I would rather have an issue that was constant. Intermittent electronic issues are the WORST!!!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,052 Posts
Clutch switches and wiring have been causing problems on raptors for years. On the 700's we have been taking the switch loose from the perch, and tucking it out of the way. I believe the 660 is the same and yours may be to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts