Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last summer i bought this raptor and rode it about four times. I let it sit for a month or two and when i tried to start it, the digital screen flickered on and off. Now, another month later, when i turn the switch.... nothing! No buzzing, no lights, the digital screen doesnt come on. I took the battery to advance and they said battery was great but needed charge. Bought a 1.5 amp charger. Im charging it now. So just in case the charger dont work what do you guys think i should do? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sounds like a battery or possibly a loose connection to me. Let us know when you get the battery charged, what it does.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Definatly sounds like a battery issue. Cold weather will murder them this time of year. Keep it on a tender when not in use, especially if you don't ride for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its connected to the charger, shouldnt i be able to start it? I walked outside after about 5 hrs of charging and turned the key and still nothing.... I have a bad feeling like its going to be something more than just the battery :(

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
If its connected to the charger, shouldnt i be able to start it? I walked outside after about 5 hrs of charging and turned the key and still nothing.... I have a bad feeling like its going to be something more than just the battery :(
It's a good possibility that your battery has taken a crap and won't take a charge. And sometimes they check good till you load them, also check all your connections real good! And no a strait 1.5 amp charger is not a tender. A battery tender charger only charges the battery when it needs it, you leave it hooked up the whole time you're not using the bike and it sences when the battery is getting low and charges it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a good possibility that your battery has taken a crap and won't take a charge. And sometimes they check good till you load them, also check all your connections real good! And no a strait 1.5 amp charger is not a tender. A battery tender charger only charges the battery when it needs it, you leave it hooked up the whole time you're not using the bike and it sences when the battery is getting low and charges it.
Ok. Well ill try it in the morning and if its still not working im going to go buy a new battery. Do they sell decent ones at advance?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The battery is good. I touched a wire to the terminals and it made a good spark. It has a charge. Any advice? What should I check first? Fuses? Connections? Which connections?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so i got it started but for some reason when i press the start button to crank it, my relay switch clicks. If i try it over and over it will eventually start. But whats the deal with my relay switch? Is it bad?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine was doing that last year, check the 2 top connections on the top and make sure they are clean, tight and issolated from each other. Also check the fuse. That relay is wierd, mine would click and not start, then I cleaned it out and have had no problems since.

Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
A nube question, but is a 1.5 amp charger the same as a battery tender?
yes it is i got one from wal-mart and it works great!!!!!!:D for only 20 buck$

·
Registered
244 Posts
yes it is i got one from wal-mart and it works great!!!!!!:D for only 20 buck$
harbor frieght has a coupon/sale right now for 5$/10$ for a trickle charger/tender. I would recommend that, i bought 6 since i have a few toys and the deal was good for 6.

keep your batteries maintained folks!

only time mine ever clicks repeatedly is when i'm low on juice..

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
while your at it checking fuses and wires and connections just check them all for dirt clean em out good its just an extra little work on your part and then you will be good for even longer. Its cheap to check and clean before something goes out again...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned the connections and checked all the fuses. Seems everything is fine but I'm still getting a bad connection. I'm probably just going to go to advance today and get a battery and see if that helps. If not I'll take a closer look at the main switch. The battery makes a good spark and everything so it doesn't seem to be the battery but I won't know for sure until I replace it I guess.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's probably the best plan. If the battery is two or three years old, it's due for replacement anyway. WalMart carries AGM type batteries for ATVs and the prices aren't bad. The little 9BS was only $38.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Mine did that also the key would just turn in butter. So all it was is that ignition screw on top of the dash i just tightened it by hand LOL. Simple but was worried when it wouldent shut off LOL.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its def not the battery. I just went today and bought a new one and it no longer makes the "clicking" noise from the relay but it still seems like there is a bad connection somewhere. When i turn the key, the digital display kind of flickers a little then it comes on and then the pump primes......:mad: UGH!!! I really dont want to but im half tempted to take it to the stealership!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Any updates on your problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts