Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems my 2010 700R seems to have acquired a taste for oil...
Wondering how this is going to effect my autotune...
:D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
is it smoking at all in the exhaust?

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only when it revs at high RPMS and it appears to be no more than what it did when it was brand new (after break in).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
if you bought it brand new you might need your valves adjusted. after awile that new metal loosens up after awile. i think the manual says to adjust them after 20hrs of riding.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you bought it brand new you might need your valves adjusted. after awile that new metal loosens up after awile. i think the manual says to adjust them after 20hrs of riding.
Hmm good thinking I have 3031 miles on it.
And it was brand new. @ 40 HRS I did the valves... I guess it is time to do it again by the book :)

Do you think this could be the cause?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
No that will not cause you to burn oil unless your valves are soooo far out of adjustment that they allowed a lot of heat from the combustion chamber to smoke your valve seals. You would have had a hell of a time getting it to even start let alone run if that were the case.
Make damn sure your not leaking anywhere!!! My guess is that your either leaking oil OR you aren't checking the level properly. It's a bitch to get an accurate reading from the dipstick. There are a lot of variables that affect that reading. I think you should find a container and drain the oil COMPLETELY and put it in empty oil containers to see how much you actually have in there. Should be around 1.96 qts. ;)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok carp I put in 2 quarts (when I changed it) and then added some...

Well I drained it and had more than 2 quarts lol I don't think it's burning oil...
I am putting 2 quarts in and I'm done lol.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
unless your controller is running rich and what your seeing is fuel smoke and not oil. idk sounds like u figured it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
can it be the head gasket? i remember when mine blew, or it was blown dont rember very well, and i had some white smoke coming out of my exhaust

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
a head gasket wouldent cause oil burning just water burning or getting pressure into the system. i guess the head gasket couldve blown in the right spot causing it to go into the oil. but he didnt say it was milky or anything.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Without giving us the proper information this thread is just a waste of our time and yours.

Why do you think it has a "taste for oil"? How do you know? Did you measure it, If so how did you measure it, how often do you measure it, how often do you ride in that period of time, do you notice any leaks, wetness around the engine/accumulation of dirt/sand around seals/gaskets/etc, or notice any smoke out of the tail pipe?

ETC ETC ETC.....Please take the time to share relevant information.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is an old thread guys we found out it is just very touchy on when and what temp you check it at. Turns out it isn't.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Sharing solutions is a great way to contribute to the community, I'm sure now reading your follow up others who had similar concerns will have one more thing to think about when doing their own troubleshooting.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, you are correct.

I also can't stress the fact enough that when you check the oil is VERY temperamental.
Be sure to check it at precisely the same temperature to see if it is staying at the same level.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Have you changed the piston rings? or done a top end rebuild?

With that amount of miles, you are probably about due....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.