Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm planning to get myself a new raptor 700 sometime in the next month. I basically could spend $8500 on a 2018 700R or $6500 on a 2014 700R. I'm set on an R for the shocks, but I'm not interested in paying extra for the SE. Essentially id like to know the differences between the two models. Should I save two grand and get the older model because (I think) they are essentially the same, or should I get the brand new one?
Thanks for reading and any help is much appreciated.
Taran

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm planning to get myself a new raptor 700 sometime in the next month. I basically could spend $8500 on a 2018 700R or $6500 on a 2014 700R. I'm set on an R for the shocks, but I'm not interested in paying extra for the SE. Essentially id like to know the differences between the two models. Should I save two grand and get the older model because (I think) they are essentially the same, or should I get the brand new one?
Thanks for reading and any help is much appreciated.
Taran
I'd get the 14, personally. The main difference would be the 18 is a single port exhaust. I'd much rather spend 2g's on suspension, controls, and/or engine mods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Save the $2,000 and buy the 2014 model. You can use that extra money to customize it how you like it.

Reactions: ian77

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The 2015 and up have a slightly different motor. Compression was bumped from 9.2:1 to 10:1. The cam and fuel settings are also slightly different.

They also have an X ring chain instead of an O ring chain, and the upper
A-arms and upper ball joints are different. (You can now change the upper ball joint itself and not the entire arm)

The 2015+ have the single port exhaust as mentioned.

They also have gussets up behind the headlights which addresses a "weak point" on the 2014 and older raptors. (It will only break there on older raptors if you are really trashing it on a track and wreck or something)

The downside to the 2015+ is they do have emission controls. It's called AIS (Air Induction System) but it's easy to remove

Take your pick, I personally prefer the 2014 and older because of the lower compression, dual exhaust pipes, and no emission controls. But the 2015+ do have nice things that the older ones do not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks everyone for the great responses. I didn't know there were that many differences, but they're all fairly small things I guess, and with the emission controls, I should probably save the $2000 and use it to upgrade a 2014 a bit. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well thanks everyone for the great responses. I didn't know there were that many differences, but they're all fairly small things I guess, and with the emission controls, I should probably save the $2000 and use it to upgrade a 2014 a bit. Thanks a lot guys.
Awesome. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Post a thread when you get your bike, and any changes you make to it. We love that stuff.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
Awesome. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Post a thread when you get your bike, and any changes you make to it. We love that stuff.
If you're going to ride off road plan on getting some scuffs and scratches. Do you want that on a new quad, or save $2000? That money spent wisely can make the quad better for your riding conditions. The Big 3, suspension mods and money left over for repairs well make it yours. Oh yeah, we like spending your money, lol.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Paying more for better stock shocks is pointless, they still need sit to rider weight and riding style. I choose to buy older bikes then mid the shot out if cuz at the end of the day your not balls deep in a toy you hope to ride 12 times a years. You can own more toys also then. I'm still in the 660 world and most ppl hated them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts