Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm waiting to see what the 2015s will be equipped with as well as what all we have to look forward to aesthetically. With that being said, does Yamaha the Raptors in stages. For example do they release the 700, then the 700R and then the 700RSE?

Additionally, when typically does Yamaha unveil the new models?

Have any of you heard any rumors?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

~Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
Power steering, factory GPS, and slicks....

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
Nothing in stages, just all packages in one shot. I am sure there will be no big wow factor being panned out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the time cycle for updates v face lifts? 4yr? Admitting that I know very little about Raptors, when was the last major revision? If nothing major happens for the 2015s or there is no must-have Paint scheme, I might opt for an Orange & White 2014 and mod it. How much to have someone strip it down as I really want a black frame?

Morphrider, I'm hoping for a massaging seat and cup holders, probably shouldn't hold my breath?

~Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
Cup holders? Now that's a treat, lol. Not sure exactly when everything will be released though.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
With that being said, does Yamaha the Raptors in stages. For example do they release the 700, then the 700R and then the 700RSE?
All at once, save for the SE2 models which have been released mid-cycle once or twice.
Additionally, when typically does Yamaha unveil the new models?
After the dealer show, which is typically June. Last time we didn't get a June release was 2009 for the 2010 models, that year we had to wait until September.
Have any of you heard any rumors?
There have been rumors about a twin cylinder 4 stroke banshee replacement since the late 90's and back again with a vengeance when Yamaha started selling a sled with possible donor motor. It is my opinion that this is probably just like the 650EX rumor in that it will be brought up continuously but never come to fruition. I certainly won't be planning a purchase or holding off based on the idea that it may come some day.

Otherwise, the rumors are few and far between from year to year. And without significant changes to the donor engine I don't expect a major power-train change for 2015. Graphics are likely, suspension is possible, and frame changes are an outside shot. The plastics are relatively new so unless their ugliness has tanked sales I would expect the shape to stay for the time being.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Back when I was subscribed to dirthwheels it seems like they always talked about them in the August issue... that has been about 5 or 6 years ago tho, I seen the 2015 yz250 on youtube about a month ago...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments. I've been making it a point to swing by Barnes & Noble every other week or so on the off chance a magazine might have some mention. My local dealership pales in comparison to Power Yamaha in Sublimity OR so the wife and I plan trips to Portland with a scheduled stop in @ Power. I plan on pulling ton of OT this month to cover the cost of my quad as I just paid off the wife's (read - a fool and his money will soon part).

~A

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I do the 2014 route, I'd go with the Orange and White option. How much would I expect to pay to have it stripped to frame to have frame and swing arm powder coated black?

I am mechanically capable but will admit I've never undertaken such a task.

I think, Black Hipers and a suspension upgrade would do this model well and look good. It might be cheaper to just buy the 700RSE in black as it has the black frame. I think I could get the swing arm out to get powder coated. Thoughts?

~Andy

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Yamaha announces new products through its corporate websites, official information will always appear there first. The magazines are wholly and completely worthless when it comes to breaking inside information and the validity of rumors.

I would advise against a recreational rider buying a brand new bike and then completely disassembling it for powder. Either buy the model with the frame color you want and replace the plastics and graphics or buy used and take the teardown as an opportunity to go through and replace and restore any items that need attention.

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
That's exactly what I was going to say Mike. Woody on here got some new plastics pretty cheap. You can contact him for where he got them and the correct codes, then sell your orange plastics to offset the cost of the new.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
And btw it would probably be more expensive and more of a pain to strip down the orange 700. My advice is go with the midnight blue SE

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I've been making it a point to swing by Barnes & Noble every other week or so on the off chance a magazine might have some mention. My local dealership pales in comparison to Power Yamaha in Sublimity OR so the wife and I plan trips to Portland with a scheduled stop in @ Power. I plan on pulling ton of OT this month to cover the cost of my quad as I just paid off the wife's (read - a fool and his money will soon part).

~A
Check out Florence. Always quite a bit cheaper than the other dealers statewide.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
It's a small shop, you are usually dealing with the owners when buying a new bike. I was looking at buying a 2012 model last year. There asking price was 2k under the other dealers I've seen around here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
t_web,

Thanks. I'll definitely swing by that shop. Nice to know there's a local Rap'r :)

~Andy

It's a small shop, you are usually dealing with the owners when buying a new bike. I was looking at buying a 2012 model last year. There asking price was 2k under the other dealers I've seen around here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wife and I were up in Portland almost 2-weeks ago and stopped by Power Yamaha and my wife bought all her safety gear. I got my wife some new grips and some other items for her Raptor. We were given the wrong grips and Power is doing right by us and I called to confirm they have my correct address. I asked about 2015s and was told late Oct, early Nov.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts