Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some lighting work on my quad which hasn't ran in a while. I finished the lights earlier today and started it up and has a sweet and bitter smell coming out the muffler. I first noticed vapor coming off of the header pipe near where it connects to the cylinder. Checked bolts, all tight. My coolant seemed to drop slightly below the full mark which happened before today. I've heard it could be a bad head gasket or header gasket. Anyone know before I tear my motor apart?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
Chances are you have a bad water pump seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip. Another problem happened recently. After a couple minutes of idling my head pipe begins to glow red. This happened a few weeks ago but went away. I replaced the spark plug a couple months ago and I took them out and the insulator was white with a hint of brown. It had some carbon buildup on the bottom and the first couple threads, so I question if it is running lean causing the glowing exhaust. Could it be running lean or is there another problem?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Could be running lean, depends what you have done to it. Add your bike and mods to your sign so we know. Glowing red header is normal for these bikes though. Don’t be alarmed. You should see what the turbo on my RZR looks like after A 15 minute ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts