Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I could get some more eyes on this as I didn’t know what it was when I purchased my Raptor.
I haven’t seen anything on removing this and I’m hoping I can get a little more support 😅. From what it looks like is the fuel tank is vented through the evap canister and also it’s hooked up to some kind of sensor. So if I remove this I’m worried I’ll start tripping some check engine lights. Tried to get some decent pictures to show where everything is routed. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
So there is no vent in your gas cap? That is funny because the pic of your model on the official Yamaha site shows it does. If there isn't you'll need to get a vented cap. Then remove the hoses from their sources and plug what they were hooked to and run it. No one knows if it will throw a code so you will be the first to find out :) You should only need to plug at the throttle body and gas tank. Looks like all the rest will be removed when you take it out. Does the pressure sensor or solenoid valve have wires that go to it? If not I don't see where the computer would get any information to set a code. If there are wires to one or both you may or may not have to keep them plugged in to keep the computer from throwing a code. That you will have to try and see. I would leave everything installed and just plug the two sources first and run it and see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there is no vent in your gas cap? That is funny because the pic of your model on the official Yamaha site shows it does. If there isn't you'll need to get a vented cap. Then remove the hoses from their sources and plug what they were hooked to and run it. No one knows if it will throw a code so you will be the first to find out :) You should only need to plug at the throttle body and gas tank. Looks like all the rest will be removed when you take it out. Does the pressure sensor or solenoid valve have wires that go to it? If not I don't see where the computer would get any information to set a code.
I suppose I can just unplug all the hoses and then plug the solenoid before I completely remove it all and see what happens?

the picture where you have the idea adjust screw that hose goes into I assume a solenoid?? That solenoid or sensor has a wire ram to it.

I also thought it was weird when I picked it up. Even asked the sales guy what’s up with the gas tank vent. He didn’t have a clue.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would just plug it where the hose comes out of the throttle body and plug it where it comes out of the tank and run it and see if it sets a code. You will need a vented gas cap or leave the gas cap loose so the tank can vent and breathe. It's nothing big and won't hurt anything. By the diagram looks like you could just unhook the hose at the cannister that comes from the tank and that will let the tank vent and breathe then you will only have to plug the nipple the hose at the throttle body hooks to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just plug it where the hose comes out of the throttle body and plug it where it comes out of the tank and run it and see if it sets a code. You will need a vented gas cap or leave the gas cap loose so the tank can vent and breathe. It's nothing big and won't hurt anything. By the diagram looks like you could just unhook the hose at the cannister that comes from the tank and that will let the tank vent and breathe then you will only have to plug the nipple the hose at the throttle body hooks to.
Any idea what I should plug everything with?

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you don't have any vacuum caps you can just use a hose the same size and put a screw in one end and put the other end on the nipple. If there is enough slack in the factory lines you can cut about an inch off a end and use that. Just make sure there will be enough to hook it back up if you have to

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know how it works out.
Well I’m not sure if it would run normal because I didn’t drive it. I unplugged the solenoid and removed the hose from the throttle body. Keyes the bike on without starting and the engine light came on. Fired it up and seemed to be on idling but the check engine light was on. I’ll be leaving it for now, I assume as this will become more prominent someone will have a delete kit eventually just like the Cuervo AIS.
Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated in the future!

·
Registered
582 Posts
You will need to leave the solenoid plugged in. The computer doesn't see it when you unplug it so it activates the light. Try that and see what happens. Make sure you plug the nipple at the throttle body.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will need to leave the solenoid plugged in. The computer doesn't see it when you unplug it so it activates the light. Try that and see what happens. Make sure you plug the nipple at the throttle body.
Should I just cap all of the tips on the solenoid as well?
Excuse all the questions. I’m more of an Emmett from Lego Movie if that makes sense haha.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No problem, I've been a mechanic all my life. For now I wouldn't worry about capping it, right now we are just working the bugs out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So quick update! Was waiting on my monster exhaust kit and my new vented fuel cap to come in to tackle this again. I don’t have an ETA on the exhaust but I received the fuel cap! But the fuel cap does not fit! It’s a Tusk one from RMATV, all the options were selected and it says it’s for the raptor but I believe Yamaha changed the gas cap for the 50 state compliant raptors. Even on the gas cap box it says something about 49 state compatible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the emission diagram I am thinking I should keep the fuel tank, roll over valve tube. I could just reroute it as I assume that is the fuel tank vent.
Then I would just remove cap and or plug everything else?
What do you think? ( I have also been reading about other Yamaha products with the charcoal canister and this seems to be what the others have done)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm sure sooner or later someone will find a vented cap from something else that will fit or a company will make one. That should work fine just don't unplug any wires to keep the engine light off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ALRIGHT!! Ive been waiting for my Monster Exhaust and FCI to show up before i started this again. Basically did as you suggested Sandman89 and left the solenoid plugged in and pulled all of the other crap off. Added a few photos to show the differences from the emissions compliant model to the standard. Pretty crazy to have ALL of these extra hoses and the cannister to just have the bike not vent straight to the atmosphere. I can't imagine this removes any calculable amount of emissions from the atmosphere.

So in the images you can see the fuel tank Vent is below the gas cap. I kept the roll over valve (thought it would come in handy incase it ever happened!) and i have the hose venting down towards the rear of the motor. Should i get a longer hose and route it to the front and have it pop out in vicinity of the Oil tank?

(also did the AIS delete while i was installing everything)

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Interesting they've changed the orientation of the fuel pump. On all the non emission bikes I've ever seen the fuel pump is set up with the wiring plug in the 6 O'clock positition and the fuel connection off to the right 180 degrees opposite of the wiring.

I would say to route the breather hose back up and in the hole in the key mount like all other vented cap ones are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts