Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I go with 22" rear tires (for more ground clearance) can I keep the stock fronts or do I have to increase those also? Which tires are the best for primarily trails and some MX?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryans Roostin Raptor said:
No you don't need to change fronts if you don't want to, I like Razr's for mx.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the best size for the fronts 22's? 23's?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
For the front you always want to go one size larger then the rear. It makes it ride better as well as doesnt make it look like it is nose diving as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got 22" rears with 23" fronts. It doesn't handle as nice as it did with the 21" fronts. When I replace these (hopefully not too soon) I might think about going with 22" fronts and 22" rears. I don't think I'd want my fronts to be smaller than my rears though.

My sand tires are 22" front and back, and it feels to me like it handles better than having the 23" fronts.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Desert Racer said:
It will push in the corners a bit and feel a little funny when the rear is higher then the front. For the most part you should be fine.
I agree. The geometry of the smaller tires up front will definately make it push. For the best geometry go with 23" fronts to keep it bigger in the front. Not that you have to just would be better.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I went 22" front and rear and it feels great, really didn't feel that bad with stock fronts aside from the terrible tread design.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I run 22 fronts and rears as well.

Just make sure that your ride height ( measured at the frame with you on the seat) is about 3/4 " higher in the front compared to the back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
type36 said:
I run 22 fronts and rears as well.

Just make sure that your ride height ( measured at the frame with you on the seat) is about 3/4 " higher in the front compared to the back.
What's the reasoning for that? Is it just so that obstacles will slide under the skids easier?

What tires do you recommend getting?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
In terms of an XC setup, this is generally how they are run for best performance. There are other factors, like shock sag and ride height , but basically, you need the front a little higher, especially if your front tires are the same size as the rears. You can juggle your shock preload a little to achieve this. If you have ever seen any XC races, you will see that the bikes are generally a little higher, front to back.

As for what tires to run, it will depend on what kind of terrain you are riding. The trails here are much like XC courses, muddy, rocky and tight. Punctures can be a problem. I run 6 ply Razr2's all around.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
when you go with bigger tires do you have a re-gear anything? i am big into R/C and if you put bigger tires on your truck or car its a good idea to re-gear it for the extra rotating mass. and also if you have bigger tires can you go any faster? i was told that once by someone i just was wondering if it's true.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i know this topic has been dead for awhile but I'm new here and i need some help I'm looking into some (22's Rear) {23's Front} i have a Stock 2007 700r SE with Nerf bars and i weigh 150 i want to know if i could get away with Stock gearing i'm going to be doing alot of trail riding also some drag racing but against blasters and right know with my stock 06 blaster I'm undefeated so with my new raptor I'm not gonna have any comp but as far a gearing go's i know nothing so any info will be real helpful Thank You

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It does alright with the stock gearing and 22" tires.

My GYTR is stock as sin and it feels like a rocket-ship on the street with the stock gearing and 22" rears. I did notice that on the trails I missed the slower creep speed. On the street I would normally start in 2nd but doing so with the 22" rears it was a bit much. It was much better to take off in 1st.

I put a 13T front sprocket on this morning and got the chain adjusted. I haven't ridden it since doing so but I'm hoping to have got my slower creep speed in 1st back for the trail riding I do. The 13T front with the 22" rear tires should be pretty close to stock gearing and stock tires.

FWIW, I took the quad out with the 22" rears and the stock fronts and didn't like it. It feels really uncomfortable on downhill sections and it would push a lot in fast turns. I've since picked up the 23" fronts and it feels a lot better, at least on the streets. I haven't had it out on the trails yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Shawn

·
Registered
793 Posts
Keeping stock gearing and going 22's in rear is almost just like regearing to 15t with 20. Only thing your adding more wieght with the bigger tire. It would be better to do the 15t and 20 because you're not adding but maybe 2 oz. You should be good to go either way. I have 22's with the 15t but Ive had a lil more than the big 3 done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shawnz said:
I put a 13T front sprocket on this morning and got the chain adjusted. I haven't ridden it since doing so but I'm hoping to have got my slower creep speed in 1st back for the trail riding I do. The 13T front with the 22" rear tires should be pretty close to stock gearing and stock tires.

Shawn
What do you mean by slower creep speed just relaxing ??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ice4me said:
Keeping stock gearing and going 22's in rear is almost just like regearing to 15t with 20. Only thing your adding more wieght with the bigger tire. It would be better to do the 15t and 20 because you're not adding but maybe 2 oz. You should be good to go either way. I have 22's with the 15t but Ive had a lil more than the big 3 done.
is 15T with 20 Good ??? I'm going with 22 rear & 23 front for the ground clearance and because the stock tires are probably weak i know with my Blaster i have like 4 plugs in the rear tires and the bike only has 20 hours or so, so i wanna replace my rappy tires and my blaster tires I'm gonna go up 2 inches for my raptor and 1 inch for my blaster

Also how many T is the stock gearing ??

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sniper55 said:
Shawnz said:

Shawn
What do you mean by slower creep speed just relaxing ??
The speed the bike moves when idling in 1st. It's important to me for rocky / technical sections of the trails I frequent. On my ride with the stock gearing and 22s I was slipping the clutch and coasting in a lot of the technical sections that I would have just left it in 1st through previously.

I planned on trying a 13T for the dunes so I figured I'll try it on the trail. If it doesn't make a significant difference I'll switch it back as I really do like the taller gearing on the street.

Stock is 14T in front.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 30 Posts