Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! I found a screamin deal here locally on a near new set of 25 inch 10 paddle Skat-Trak Hauler tires. I want to put them on my 08 Raptor 700. I am curious what you folks who have experience with bigger tires would suggest I do for gearing? I know Grizzly's run 25 inch tires stock, so I think I should be OK if I get the gearing right. Thanks in advance, Pete

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, IMO that's way to tall for a stock bike. Not to mention the fact that they won't fit. You would have to remove your heel guards to make them work. I would reccomend a 21" for stock bike and then maybe look at some 22" superlights if you had some more extensive mods. You'd have to remove the heel guards to run those as well though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I run 22" Haulers and they clear the healguards by about a half inch. 25s would be close to hitting your actual heals without an extended swingarm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, thx for the comments. My plan is to get a +6 or better extended swing arm. That should allow for the 25 inch Haulers. I appreciate the comments on tire size, but my actual question is gearing / sprocket sizes. Any of you folks change from stock to something else to accommodate bigger tires? Thanks in advance, Pete

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Those are some expensive tires, swing arms aren't cheap. IMO, you would be better getting some 22's and staying with the stock swinger. That rollout is WAY too big. To each their own. I just hate to see you spend all this money and hate the setup.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Most people who run 25" tires have the power to turn them regardless of gearing, and only change gearing to fit the sand and hill conditions that day to keep their quad in the best RPM range.

A 10 paddle 25" tire will put a lot of unneeded stress on your driveline, and won't do anything better than a set of 7 or 8 paddle haulers in the 21-22" range on your quad (which is what you should be shopping for). Yes, your quad will turn them...but why?

But if you are dead set on getting them, you are going to have to play around with the gearing to see what works...not many people have experience with that much tire on a 40hp quad, so asking for advice is somewhat pointless. 13/40 gearing may be a decent place to start, but don't expect to win a lot of races.

And do us a favor, post a few pics...I could use a good laugh. Not every day you see a raptor with a stock pipe sporting 25" 10 paddle haulers :lol:.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
its not a grizzly...
u wont like how it rides with 25's (center of gravity is too high)
u can gear it all you want but u will not have any tire spin
even with a 6 inch arm 25's are too tall with a lot of hp

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All, thx for the constructive and not so constructive comments. Seeing what I am seeing tells me there is no one here (broad statement - sorry) so far that has ever tried larger than 22 inch haulers on their 700. I mentioned the Grizzly because it essentially has the same motor as the Raptor 700 and it sports 25 inch rear tires stock. Yes, I realize they are not the same bike, but the engine displacement and compression on the Grizzly and Raptor 700 is identical (according to Yamaha's web site), so they should be putting out the same HP. I added a K&N type filter and am getting ready to add a new slip on exhaust. Between the two I should be looking at an extra 5 HP over stock. Also, a 25 inch hauler does not weigh much more than a 22 inch hauler (1.5 pounds max) unless you increase the wheel size, which I am not.

I really appreciate the comments, but honestly after a ton of digging and reading I found web sites that discuss gear ratio / sprocket sizes in detail. It looks like Langford was correct in recommending 13/40 (3.08 Gear Ratio) or higher ratio for larger tires. In general I found the higher the ratio, the more torque / speed you have in the lower gears (1-3). This is great for hill climbing, wheelies and racetracks with short straights. From what I understand, you guys who race long straight stretches need a low ratio for more top end speed. I dont race and primarily use my quad for hill climbs, side hilling and technical sport trail riding where there are lots of deep ruts.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
All, thx for the constructive and not so constructive comments. Seeing what I am seeing tells me there is no one here (broad statement - sorry) so far that has ever tried larger than 22 inch haulers on their 700. I mentioned the Grizzly because it essentially has the same motor as the Raptor 700 and it sports 25 inch rear tires stock. Yes, I realize they are not the same bike, but the engine displacement and compression on the Grizzly and Raptor 700 is identical (according to Yamaha's web site), so they should be putting out the same HP. I added a K&N type filter and am getting ready to add a new slip on exhaust. Between the two I should be looking at an extra 5 HP over stock. Also, a 25 inch hauler does not weigh much more than a 22 inch hauler (1.5 pounds max) unless you increase the wheel size, which I am not.

I really appreciate the comments, but honestly after a ton of digging and reading I found web sites that discuss gear ratio / sprocket sizes in detail. It looks like Langford was correct in recommending 13/40 (3.08 Gear Ratio) or higher ratio for larger tires. In general I found the higher the ratio, the more torque / speed you have in the lower gears (1-3). This is great for hill climbing, wheelies and racetracks with short straights. From what I understand, you guys who race long straight stretches need a low ratio for more top end speed. I dont race and primarily use my quad for hill climbs, side hilling and technical sport trail riding where there are lots of deep ruts.
if you are not going to take peoples advise then why ask for their opinion...

I say buy them and when they dont work like u expect sell them for cheap to someone who can use them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DL700... I was asking for advice because I thought there might be folks answering who have had experience with larger than 22's on a 700. Unfortunately everyone who answered didn't have any experience with 25's or anything larger than a 22 and only wanted to throw in their 2 cents just for the sake of commenting. I welcome advice from folks who have experience with the question I asked and still hope someone who has tried 25's will chip in.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
DL700... I was asking for advice because I thought there might be folks answering who have had experience with larger than 22's on a 700. Unfortunately everyone who answered didn't have any experience with 25's or anything larger than a 22 and only wanted to throw in their 2 cents just for the sake of commenting. I welcome advice from folks who have experience with the question I asked and still hope someone who has tried 25's will chip in.
I'm sure DL does have quite a bit of experience with 25" tires on 700's, but you can't make a comparison between a high HP drag quad and a basically stock one. My rears are 23.5" and they work great for my current setup, but they would be horrible for you...all depends on the build they are going on.

A 25" 10 paddle tire is WAY too much for a 40ish HP quad...we aren't telling you that just to be a dick or to get our post counts higher, we are trying to save you some money and time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm sure DL does have quite a bit of experience with 25" tires on 700's, but you can't make a comparison between a high HP drag quad and a basically stock one. My rears are 23.5" and they work great for my current setup, but they would be horrible for you...all depends on the build they are going on.

A 25" 10 paddle tire is WAY too much for a 40ish HP quad...we aren't telling you that just to be a dick or to get our post counts higher, we are trying to save you some money and time.
DL with experience on fast bikes or 25" tires....???

:grin_nod::grin_nod::grin_nod:

These guys know what they are talking about and I would definitely respect thier opinions. Especially DL700 who builds some of the baddest and fastest bikes around!!! They are just too tall and you dont have the power to use them to thier fullest potential. But hey its not my money :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All, no disrespect was intended. If DL700 has had experience with 25's, my ears are wide open. I am glad to know someone has had some experience with a size larger than 22 like Langford (23.5 or do you mean 23's? Skat-Trak does not officially make a 23.5 Hauler). I honestly appreciate folks trying to help me save time and money. Thats what this forum is about... everyone helping each other in this sport.

That said, I guess the only way to really find out if the 25's will work on a slightly modified 700 is to find someone with a Grizzly and see if they will let me bolt on a set, then run them for a day. This way I can let everyone know if I am a moron or if I have discovered something. I am not afraid to admit to being wrong. I am going to do a +6 swing arm no matter if I end up with 25's or 22's. The +6 swing arm is perfect for serious hill climbing. Many folks here at the Oregon Coast run a +4 or better swing arm.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
All, no disrespect was intended. If DL700 has had experience with 25's, my ears are wide open. I am glad to know someone has had some experience with a size larger than 22 like Langford (23.5 or do you mean 23's? Skat-Trak does not officially make a 23.5 Hauler). I honestly appreciate folks trying to help me save time and money. Thats what this forum is about... everyone helping each other in this sport.

That said, I guess the only way to really find out if the 25's will work on a slightly modified 700 is to find someone with a Grizzly and see if they will let me bolt on a set, then run them for a day. This way I can let everyone know if I am a moron or if I have discovered something. I am not afraid to admit to being wrong. I am going to do a +6 swing arm no matter if I end up with 25's or 22's. The +6 swing arm is perfect for serious hill climbing. Many folks here at the Oregon Coast run a +4 or better swing arm.
Alright...I'm no expert here, so if somebody else wants to step in with more information, contradict what I have said, or just tell me I'm an idiot ;), please do so.

Ok...to start, a 22" tire doesn't mean squat, just because they call it a 22" doesn't mean it is actually 22". They categorize their tires more accurately by "roll out", aka circumference. They actually start at a point, make one complete revolution of the tire, and measure how far of a distance it covers, ie roll-out.

My tires are technically called a 22x11x8, but the roll out is over 74". If you take a measurement of the actual diameter, they measure 23.5" tall. A 22" skat track tire can vary from a mid 60's roll out up into the 80's...which means they also vary in an actual diameter from right around 20" up to 25" or larger....so calling them a 22 isn't very accurate as you can see. It all depends on which tire carcass they start with. So when looking at tires, it is more important to find out the RO instead of what they are calling the diameter.

Now, with that being said...any idea what the RO is on those tires you are looking at? For a stock to slightly modded Raptor, you don't need anything much over 70" RO IMO...I ran a set of 70 RO 8 paddle haulers on my old setup, and they worked perfect. You can step up the size slightly if you want to, but it won't do you a lot of good unless you have the power to turn them.

With paddles, you don't want them rotating at the same speed you are traveling...you need to spin them to make them worth it. You could bolt a set of 25" paddles on a grizzly like you mentioned to see if they will work...but that is like pinching a stripper in the ass to see if her tits are real, it may be fun, won't get you any closer to finding out the truth (sorry for the crude analogy ;) ). That is comparing apples to oranges. Yes, your quad will be able to turn them. Yes, you will probably be able to gear it down so you can get around alright. And yes, you will probably get spanked by a similar quad with the proper tire setup. You won't be able to spin the 25's fast enough to do you any good....

You mentioned the 25's only being slightly heavier than the 22's. Well, there is more to it than that. The further away the weight is from the axis of the rotation, the harder it is to turn that weight. Reach your hand out and pick up a bucket full of water by the handle...not too hard. Now grab a broom stick that is a few feet long and try to pick up that same bucket of water with it...much harder. Yes, that is an exaggeration of what is happening by adding a few inches of diameter to a tire, but the same principle applies. The paddles on a tire are reaching down and throwing a scoop of sand back every time they go around, the further they are away from the center of the axle, the harder it is to do. You are adding unneeded stress to your driveline by adding larger tires than what is needed, in turn...slowing you down and putting more stress on everything.

You need to find a good compromise with your tires, you want them large enough so they float on top of the sand and won't just dig holes, but you don't want them to be overly large where they put too much burden on your engine, trans, sprockets, etc.

Like has been said, a 22" tire (with a roll out of around 70") is ideal for a stock to mildly modded Raptor 700. Paddle count is another issue...7-8 paddle is more than enough for what you have.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts