Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im lookin to buy a sport quad and its either the 350 or the 250.... i would get the 250 but i think i will outgrow it.. im 14 and 5' 10", and what are the top speeds of these and acceleration like 0-30 mph or somthing like that.... i weigh 140.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You definalty would want to get the 350. Im 5'5 160 and its perfect! The 250 would be way to small. I sat on 1 a couple months ago....pretty small. The 350 has some great acceleration. I can get through the gears in under 8 seconds! Its a beast. But if you want something little get the 250. youll out grow it fast and want something bigger!
No offence to you who have 250's. They pretty beastly for being small!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just got a speedometer and ill beable to tell you exactlly in 2 days. But i think around 65!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
that sounds about right, 05raptor350. my 250 after rejetting is between 55 and 60.

yami4life, it really depends on what riding you will be doing. he you want to just ride around in trails and open area the 350 is all you. but if you want to race, jump, better trail riding (size), and have the newest thing then go with the 250.

as for size you can stretch it and raise it.

it all depends on you, man. your style, what you are going for, looks, modability, et cetera.

everyone will tell you million reasons as to why you should ride their machine.

[i say go with the 250 ;) ]

·
Registered
363 Posts
if your gonna jumps or be stupid get the 250. it also great for tight trails. I agree with Bamaslamma. Never thought about raising it!

but if your gonna free ride or wheelies the 350 is great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and 170 lbs and 32 years old, I got a KFX450R and just wanted a 250 Raptor to mod. I bought a new 2008 Raptor 250 SE and spent another $1000 and got all the GYTR goodies that yamaha offered, Shock Covers, Jet Kit, Full Exhaust, Nerfs, Tach/Hour meter, A-arm skids, belly skid, rear skid, air filter and adaptor plate, all for about the same price as the 350. Only downfall....no reverse, but you can flick the 250 around on a dime. It's a better trail machine than my 450. A 400 EX Honda was pushed to the max just to keep up with a buddy of mine when I let him ride the 250 for a weekend. If it's a solid machine with good power, suspension and reverse you want go with the 350, if you want a machine with good power, suspension and want to mod it up with accessories, then go with the 250. If you put the same things on a 350 you'll have over $6000 in it and if your gonna spend $6000 you could get a new fuel injected 400 Suzuki or something.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as top speed goes, the 250 will run mid 50's stock, but with the exhaust, jets, and air filter with a $20 dollar front sprocket with another tooth on it you'd be blazin a trail at 60-65 mph. If your gonna leave everything stock on your new machine though, I'd recommend the 350, it has reverse and is a solid machine. The bottom line is you can have a blast on both the 250 and the 350, but where do you want to put your $5000 a 250 with all the goodies or a 350 with reverse and a little more size. Hope this info helps dude.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have you decided???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I had a 350 when i was 15. It was a fun quad, but i outgrew it quick. If I were you, I would look for an older 660 to start out. JMHO. :thumbsup:

btw my 350 was stock and i could get 64mph out of it and i weighed about 130 then.
Now im about 150 and can get about 74 out of my 660.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why are people so worried about top speed its all about your acceleration. Hell you can put any size front sprocket on anything to make it have a high top speed.

·
Caribbean Raptor
937 Posts
i was 15 when i started riding my 660. it threw me around alot. but one thing is for sure i wont be outgrowing it at all.

im 16 now and i dominate it.

it has a Full Alba pipe, K&N no lid, Stage 1 Cam, 14/40 gearing. and it is fast as hell on the accel. i cant keep the nose down in a dragrace untill i shift into 4th.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd go with the 250. I'm 5'8" and about 130 and it's perfect for me. I've rode 350's and as stock goes, the 250 has way better handling and suspension. Much lighter too. I can throw mine around easily. And like slim said, you can put all those mods on it, be faster than a 350 by far, and not spend more than you would for a 350.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would say neither one, from the information you provided, I think you need a 450.

I own a 2008 700 and 250. I know that he 250 is not a 700 but it handles very well in the trails. As far as top speed it doesnt concern me b/c I dont drag race. I do trails and the track (just for enjoyment, no racing) and I love this little machine. I bought it for my girlfriend and the ONLY negative about it for HER is that it doesnt have reverse but I think that the 250 looks a lot better than the 350. Stay tune for pics b/c I just receive my 250SE LED tailight that I will be adding to my 250. Here are a few pics just to wet you appetite

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seems like I heard a rumor about discontinuing the 350 and doing a Raptor 450 w/reverse (maybe Wolverine 450 motor?) anybody heard of this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would say neither one, from the information you provided, I think you need a 450.

I own a 2008 700 and 250. I know that he 250 is not a 700 but it handles very well in the trails. As far as top speed it doesnt concern me b/c I dont drag race. I do trails and the track (just for enjoyment, no racing) and I love this little machine. I bought it for my girlfriend and the ONLY negative about it for HER is that it doesnt have reverse but I think that the 250 looks a lot better than the 350. Stay tune for pics b/c I just receive my 250SE LED tailight that I will be adding to my 250. Here are a few pics just to wet you appetite
I now where your coming from here, I ride a 2008 KFX 450, but I can't take my heart away from my wife's 250, it's a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Slim do you ride the 250? You seem like a big guy for a small bike how does it do? I'm really considering one of these for my gf.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Slim do you ride the 250? You seem like a big guy for a small bike how does it do? I'm really considering one of these for my gf.
Yeah, I ride it all the time. It has room on there for a 6 foot fella. It's wheelbase makes it so I can fling it around easily. Stiffen up the shock settings and I can jump pretty well too without bottoming out. To my wife..this 250 is the same as a 450, she'll never push it's limits. Don't get me wrong though..my 450 is night and day different, but the 250 is an excellant choice for teens, wives, girlfriends or just the average trail ridin joe that doesn't need that neck snappin power of the 450, it's a cool 250...never seen a 250 this cool since the 250R days of glory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i heard that you were wondering how fast the 350 Raptor goes.
mine hits around 70 at around 9000 RPMs but it is fuel-injected.
so id say that its is around 65 maybe if its stock.
Also my 700cc Raptor goes about 85 and it is fuel injected and has turbo and Leovince exaust. Ive invested around 18k for both of my toys but it is worth it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts