Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is my problem.
Second gear is slipping when I am on the Throttle, the engine never loses power but the wheels do. I have the cases split and see no visible where. I am lost. The drive and main axle look good. Any suggestions or ideas. I have a 2003 660 raptor
Thanks in advance

Chad

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's possible it was just your clutch. Some other people may know a lil more but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd go with clutch too, did you soak the fibers before assembly or put them in dry? Ride it nice for a little while to seat the new parts or beat it the first time out? Clutch lever have the needed free play?
Bad gears or chain will clunk or bang if thats the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you soak the fibers before assembly - Yes
Ride it nice for a little while to seat the new parts - Yes (how long is a little while?)
Clutch lever have the needed free play - I thought so

There was never any banging or clunking, I have the cases split right now and every thing looks good. There is a little and I mean little wear on one of the shift forks.

I was reading on RaptorTranny.com forums about this:
http://www.raptortranny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1620

It could be the Clutch lever free Play.

also it is only in second gear. ?????

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
As for how long to break in new parts, everyone has a theory, mine is heat cycle's, get it to tempwhile riding it nice and let it cool, I do that a couple times and by then I'm about out of patience.

I'm going to stick with the clutch, if it was gears you'd see damage to the teeth or other parts.

As for it only being second gear, that could just be where it's most noticable or the ratio is just right to not hold the motor back like a higher gear might.

The clutch adjustment in the linked article is good, I also look at where the clutch starts to grab when you let it out. Make sure that there is some clearance between grip and the lever before it starts to grab.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem that I am having was happening with the old clutch, and my new clutch plates. I was thinking that the plates were worn out(which they were), that is why I changed them. I got everything back together with the new plates installed and still the same problem. I dont want to put it all together again and it not be the clutch cable.

Isnt there more torque in 3rd and 4th gear? So It should slip there?

Thanks Chad

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think thats whats happening with mine...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
There should be slack in clutch handle, according to the manual the handle should have 5-10mm of freeplay, if there isnt slack is will hold the clutch in even when you let it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
so i needto adjust my clutch if it starts engaging as soon as i move it in lol or startsgoing when its almost all the way out

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The clutch should disengage when its almost all the way out

·
Registered
37 Posts
if i pull my clutch in like 1/4in its engaging already is that bad?...and is that the reason for my gears to slip when shifting?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
How much is it engaging, enough to stop movement?

·
Registered
37 Posts
ya...i think ...what im going to do is take a video of it tomorrow so that you guys can see what its doing...and i hope this will help petersca because this was his thread...sorry haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started to piece it together tonight, have to go get some new locking washers at the dealership.

I will do the clutch adjustment when all together and post back.

Chad

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am having this sam eproblem, I just had my cases split had new shift forks put in, 1st gear, and shift cam and a new clutch, but now 2nd gear i sslipping, no other gear just second.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok i have the bike back together and have adjusted the clutch. I know it is right, and still having the same problem, just second gear slipping, Any body in Las Vegas and can help. Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Did you insert the lever into the case correctly after putting the side back on, when the marks are lined up you shouldnt be able to move the lever towards the front of the machine by hand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts