Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the carb and sprayed down the main jets, float bolwls, etc.. However, when I reassembled the bike I noticed it had trouble idling. Intake system is clean, so I'm thinking since the only thing I forgot to disassemble and spray down were the pilots, I'm going to have to remove them again and spray them down. Sound right? :3question:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yeah, if they were originally dirty.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i'm assuming that the idle problem did not exist before you cleaned the carb the first time. there is a chance that you created an air leak when you put the carb back in. won't hurt to clean the pilots but make sure everything mates up

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The idling problem was the reason for the carb. removal. So now pilot jets have been cleaned, no intake air duct leaks, but same problem persists......bike will idle for a few minutes, then shut off. I noticed pipes began glowing under 5 mins, so I'm thinking the pilot air/ fuel mixtures might be dirty. Does that sound right? Are those suppose to be removed and sprayed during carb. cleaning? Or maybe they just need to be turned out a few degrees to richen the fuel? They' ve never been touched. This is a stock bike with just a slip-on exhaust. Anyways, what do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those who might encounter a similar problem here's an update: the air/fuel screw was turned just a few degrees counterclock wise in order to richen the fuel mixture. I noticed the pipes were glowing extensively after a few mins. of idling; therefore it lead me to believe the bike was running lean. Keep in mind the jets have never been modified. The extra degrees on the screws kept bike idling perfect. So even though the bike was stock, I think the WHTBROS slip-on exhaust was requesting a bit more fuel from the carb. The bike was tested this weekend and she ran GREAT!!! ;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
FYI, I use the propane technique to find air leaks. I run the torch (unlit of course) over the intake area, near the boots, on cars over vaccum lines ect, when it starts running faster, you found the air leak. Nice trick I have learned when working on cars :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.