Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this board. Looked around but didnt see my exact problem.
Was running fine and shut it off. Then it would just spin but not fire. Found I had no spark. Using the service manual found that the stator/pickup was bad. Replaced with a new unit and still no spark. Everything else checked out ok so ordered a CDI and a coil. Replaced both of those and now it has spark. When cranking over it will sputter or stumble like it is going to kick in, but thats it. I had the carb off a few months ago and it looked good then but took it off and went through it again with no luck. Have not measured compression, but it feels good when turning it with a socket and you can feel air blowing out of the spark plug hole. If this were an older car I would say the timing is off but I checked the timing marks and they are right on. I have not tried to pull start it but that is my last option. Any help is appreciated and I am totally stumped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just talked with a local Yamaha dealer and the only thing he could think of was compression. Keep in mind this thing was running like a champ right until I shut it off. I picked up a compression tester and will check that tonight. Could I have damaged something when trying to pull start it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
did you actually remove the jets an clean all the holes in the pilot an clean the main an the enrichment valve. check the compression with the starter cranking the motor not a wrench. mine had a similar problem and it was getting metal shavings from previous motor problems on the pulsar an was causing it to sputter every now an then but it would always start. if you got spark an fuel then you either have burnt valves or burnt rings, do the compression test if that is the problem then pull the head off, check the cylinder walls with the piston all the way down, you can check the head by sitting the head level with the piston or valve side facing up, fill the head with water mixed with food coloring an check to see it there are any leaks on the intake an exhaust side.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
CHeck valve adjustment.

Try starting with starting fluid - does it try to run?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well here is where I am at.
Checked the valves and they are moving and in specs.
Tried to check compression but the tester would not fit the hole. It will blow my finger off the hole though so I think it is good.
The new stator/pickup coil that I got had different measurements from the repair manual. I contacted the manufacturer and told them my readings. They simply told me that they use different materials and it would differ from OEM. After replacing everything else and getting nowhere I went back to the pickup coil. The manual says something like the measurement should be between 459-530 ohms or something. Theirs was measuring 186ohms. They sent me a new one and that one measures 193ohms, that doesnt work either. I ordered a pickup coil from another company and they state theirs will measure 500ohms. It will arrive on Monday. I read somewhere that if the pickup coil is not measuring correctly, it will cause the spark plug fire to be at the wrong time. Early or late depending on the resistance. Hope that statement is true because this is all I have to work with.
Keep in mind this thing was running perfectly, shut it off and it never started again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The timing marks are right on the money. I was hoping it jumped time or something, but that isnt the case. When it sputters it sounds exactly like taking an older car and putting the distributor in a few teeth off. The motor will also spin backwards and fuel and such will "backfire" out the carb.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ok here is a run down test you can try. ensure all jets and passages are clean, clear, an tight. be sure the float bowl is within specs. inspect the intake boot that is bolted to the head for any cracks or cuts, be sure the valves are adjusted properly, the bad thing is that you really need a compression test, i was working on a 06 z400 an it would blow your finger out of the hole but was not enough for the fuel to combust, i did a re ring on it an it fired up instantly. now it was running an running fine then shut it down an it wouldnt start either. not sure what readings you should be getting for the 350 but it needs to be withing 3-5%. just check over everything again an take your time, you need spark, fuel, and air. if you are cranking on it and its sparking then move on to checking something else. hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FINALLY IT IS RUNNING!! To shorten a very long an painful story it was the pickup coil.

I had diagnosed that to begin with and ordered a new stator/pickup unit off of ebay. When it arrived the pickup measured 186ohms and the manual calls for a range of 459-561. I asked the manufacturer if this was correct and why it was so different and they told me that they use different materials than OEM so the measurements would be different. Installed it and nothing. They told me to replace the CDI or the coil. Threw in a new CDI and it would spark all day long but never actually start. fast forward to last week and I received a new stator/pickup coil as a replacement. This one measured 193ohms. I knew it wouldnt work but went ahead and installed it anyway. Of course it didnt work.

Lastly I ordered just a pickup coil from RMStator company and they said that it was 500ohms. It arrived yesterday and showed 533ohms. Took the OEM stator, removed the faulty pickup coil and replaced with the 533ohm unit. It almost started and then died. Hit the button again and it fired right up. There was a bunch of raw fuel in the cylinder and once all that got blown out it was purring like a kitten. A loud smokey kitten but it was purring.

I read somewhere that a pickpup coil with a different resistance will send the pulse at different times. Mine was firing but it was acting exactly like the timing was off. With the new one it starts right up and runs through the rev range smoothly. I have not taken it out of the garage but I am sure it will be fine.

FYI dont buy a replacement stator from NICHE on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...489310QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories I am sure the stator itself is fine, but they put pickup coils in that measure around 200ohms and your raptor wont run.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Have you tried starting fluid yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts