Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 raptor, 686cc, float mod, carb boot mod, P&P, Hc1, full yoshi, dynojet kit, pro flow no lid, dirt/sand drag racing and desert not woods trail riding. 14 tooth front sprocket. Hit glamis every year.

Im getting an extended swingarm this month. But im not sure if I want a 4" or 6". Never road one with either. Any info or opinions would be great!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Remember to adjust your suspension for either one, as it does make a difference.
And, I'm not a dune rider, so I cannot comment on 4" vs 6" for that application.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
As far as preload?
All of it will change as the leverage on the arm is different.
Ideally it gets resprung and revalved.
The longer the arm, on the same shock, the higher the rear of the machine will sit.

Front effects rear, and vice versa, so you may end up making small adjustments to the front as well.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,695 Posts
What's your estimated HP level? How easily does the front end come up now? How much do you weigh?
Glamis sand is soft and powdery, where a shorter arm would benefit.
Oregon sand is course and damp, where a longer arm would benefit.

IMO, a +4 is more of a play length, and still able to wheelie over obstacles. A +6 is a serious racer that wants to keep the front on the ground.

My 75HP Raptor, sand quad, had a +2.5 swingarm and +2 a-arms that worked well for me. Mostly Oregon dunes. I rode a stock Raptor 700 at Glamis with no problems.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of it will change as the leverage on the arm is different.
Ideally it gets resprung and revalved.
The longer the arm, on the same shock, the higher the rear of the machine will sit.

Front effects rear, and vice versa, so you may end up making small adjustments to the front as well.
Im pretty sure the fronts are not adjustable. I do want 450 shocks one day tho. And the rear i will adjust to lower it and play with the rebound and compression. Do you think i will need an adjustable lowering link on the rear? Maybe get it back to normal hight untill i can get 450 shocks? Great info BTW😁

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Lowering the rear loses some ground clearance.
The 450 shocks correctly set up make a huge difference, but the rear shock really needs resprung on a stretch.
You would be better off with 450 fronts first, and all 3 shocks set up as is, then add a stretched arm after.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lowering the rear loses some ground clearance.
The 450 shocks correctly set up make a huge difference, but the rear shock really needs resprung on a stretch.
You would be better off with 450 fronts first, and all 3 shocks set up as is, then add a stretched arm after.
What would it cost to get the rear re valved? I have shock therapy near my house i can go to. Just tell em im going to put an extended swing arm and they'll know what to do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's your estimated HP level? How easily does the front end come up now? How much do you weigh?
Glamis sand is soft and powdery, where a shorter arm would benefit.
Oregon sand is course and damp, where a longer arm would benefit.

IMO, a +4 is more of a play length, and still able to wheelie over obstacles. A +6 is a serious racer that wants to keep the front on the ground.

My 75HP Raptor, sand quad, had a +2.5 swingarm and +2 a-arms that worked well for me. Mostly Oregon dunes. I rode a stock Raptor 700 at Glamis with no problems.
Not sure on power. Maybe 55 or 60 if I had to guess. I weigh 240 and the bike stands up pretty easy even with me sitting far up front. Its a 14 tooth front sprocket too. If you have 75 and a 2.5 swing them im thinking a 6" is way too long. Leaning 4" now. Its mostly sand but not glamis soft sand where i usually ride.

·
11,695 Posts
ST is expensive!! We use JOGACA for reasonable shock re-valving and re-springing.

Kevin Groffer
480 262 3216

Call during the evening, free information and cost estimate.
He'll want your bike specs, your weight, riding style, etc..
His work is spot on and, very little, to no adjustments are required when you get them back.

·
11,695 Posts
Not sure on power. Maybe 55 or 60 if I had to guess. I weigh 240 and the bike stands up pretty easy even with me sitting far up front. Its a 14 tooth front sprocket too. If you have 75 and a 2.5 swing them im thinking a 6" is way too long. Leaning 4" now. Its mostly sand but not glamis soft sand where i usually ride.
You'll need a rear spring for sure. I'm 250 and and have a spring I took off mine when I sold it. I got the spring from JOGACA, and he didn't revalve the factory shock. The spring is for sale if interested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll need a rear spring for sure. I'm 250 and and have a spring I took off mine when I sold it. I got the spring from JOGACA, and he didn't revalve the factory shock. The spring is for sale if interested.
Cool. How much?

·
11,695 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I would do a +4. I had my 700 in the low 60s range for awhile on a +4 and it was great. You will at a minimum need a heavier spring, but I would just have jogaca setup the shock.

Reactions: Phx02Rappy

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Yep, talk to those guys, or Jocaga from here.
Jocaga will know exactly what you need, and if the local place is any good, so will they.
Rear stretches usually require a spring change too, not just a revalve.
As for price, it will vary by shop, and by parts needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts