Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone at my track rides 450s. Hondas trx 450s, yzf 450s, and there is a polaris 500 with a big bore 586 kit. I played with the honda a little bit and it didnt seem like I could pull on him. We were dead even. He says his bike is stock, and it looked stock. I said I was breaking mine in (taking it easy, which I am doing), but in fact I was running him hard for the few gears we lined up on. I have a stock 07 SE. I already have a gytr filter, pcIII, and some pipe, not sure what yet on the way. Should I go to the 15t as well? Im gonna have to race these $hit heads one day and I want to keep the 700 reputation. I dont have money for internal mods yet and not sure if I even want to do that. 3 mods and 15t? That is my question. Will I be able to beat these turkeys? I will be pissed if I cant beat a damn honda 450 even with a stock raptor 700, after today, Im not sure it will do, but it should, its a fukin 700!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
From my experience in drag racing. You shouldn't have any problem beating the 450's with: pipes, air filter, and slight internal mods. If your Raptor has the 3 mods plus the 15t sprocket. Now For the Predator with the 586 Big Bore kit i am not to sure about that as i haven't raced any bored out Predators. But around the track you might have a rough time beating the 450s. Hope this helps out.

Jamie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying one i have the 3 mods and "get the 15t" I should be able to beat them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeap :thumbsup:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Rappys, I'm running dead even with my friend's yfz and his quad has port & polish, high-comp piston, sparks big core exhaust, cam-mod and a 16t front sprocket. Him and I both have trouble keeping our front ends down. I usually just ride the clutch halfway through second and bang third. If I do it just right, we usually end the race side by side. I'm very impressed with my 700 as is for what little money I have into it for performance gains. My friend spent well over two grand on engine mods and thats not including exhaust. I'm pretty sure after I get the new ignition dynatek has coming out next spring along with a stage 1 webcam, I won't have a problem beating him. From what I seen, a piped. filtered and jetted 450 shouldn't be a threat for a piped, filtered and PcIII/Dobech or whatever you decide to use 700r. When I say 450, I'm talking about all three of them as of right now. Not sure how the Kawasaki going to run or the outlaw 525. I almost forgot to mention the 15t sprocket I'm running. Remember this, when you're racing 450 vs 700, most of it depends on the rider. 8)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
From my experience with dragging most of the 450 class. You will be had pressed to be any modded 450 with a stock 700. Once you put the 3 mods on it is a different story. It also helps if you learn how to shift the 700 right in drag racing to get the most potential out of it.This is just my experience and nothing else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys!! :thumbsup: Now, I have decided 3 mods and i'll try the 15t. My next question, shift points, are you running these things all out or shifting 3/4 through the rpm range cause the power drops off after about mid range? Hopefully with the mods and sprocket I can handle myself, otherwise I might have to look into a cam or something later. I just dont see how these 450s hang with our 700s. I just want to rape that honda. Guys a cocky little shit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you runnin these guys on dirt or concrete? If on concrete strap your suspension down so you can leave harder without pullin the front end up. Try leaving in second gear...works good for me. My .02

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
rappys, as soon as you feel it start to nose over shift,dont hesitate, you will get used to the sound, try to keep it in the powerband and hang on 8) 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Shift early and often. The 700 will out torque the 450. I do LOTS of drag racing and you should do well with what you have. Also lower the machine so you can launch hard. If your on dirt lower the rear tires down to about 3lbs for a good hook. And it never hurts to be fast on the lights. ;) Also remember tire spin looses races, so if you have to feather the gas so be it, and you will be faster

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rappys said:
I just want to rape that honda. Guys a cocky little shit.
Yeah, I've met him before........ ::)
You should be able to beat him stock for stock. Like said before, practice your short shifting cause it does make a difference. Plus your Raptor will run a little better once its fully broke in. After the 3 mods it should beat the 450s with the same mods. The 15T definately helps in drag racing. The rest is up to you. These quads will still be fairly close in performance and if your not on your game, they can beat you. Yes, we have a bigger motor but its not as race oriented (sp?) as the 450s. That Honda guy will always be a cocky little shit (ake;Well, you have 250ccs more than me) but handing him his ass will serve him a slice of humble pie!.......... :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the track again today and watched a few motorcross races, they had a 4 wheeler race too. It was nice to watch. All of the bikes were twice as wide as mine. No rappys, all 450s and ltrs with a honda here and there. How much would it cost me to get all that done to my bike? im guess 3k for elkas, 2k for widening it. I smelt race fuel out of every bike out there, does it help to run race fuel with a stock engine? Because most of those guys dont have engine mods. Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to belong out there. Maybe I should find a new track. I wouldnt mind doing mx though, I just cant really see dumping 6k into a bike I havnt even paid for yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention. Our drag area was grass, but owner doesnt like us on there, so we have to stick to dirt. Its pretty bumpy and somtimes I have to get out of the throttle and just do a restart. I have been trying to keep away from racing right now cause the bike isnt ready, I have been sizing it up against a few though just to see where it stands. Most of the guys Im racing are the mx riders.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did some draggin on sat @ Pismo Beach and it was the first time since I installed my 3 mods.I beat some 450's and got beat by some,same for the banshee's.The Honda's were the problems for me ,but the ones I couldn't beat had internal motor mods.The kawasaki 700's that I ran had pipes and not sure of other mods,but needless to say they got their asses handed to em just as the DS 650's.I'm almost positive I would beat most of the 450's if i would have had a better paddle tire for drags. I couldn't get "the launch" like the guys that had the haulers,and also the fact I weight in at 235 lbs can't be in my favor.Anyway still had a kick ass time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep, and if you lose its... my little 450 beat your big 700. :mad:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wolverine said:
The problem, I am having with my friends 450YFZ is that every time, I beat them they :'( you got a 700 and we got a lil 450.
well, there "little" 450 has more technology and R&D thrown at it then our 700's could ever hope of having. Yamaha has been working with that motor since 98, and they have a lot at stake with that motor. Its there racing motor!
The 700 motor hasnt had the same attention thrown at it...obviously....when a "little 450" makes the same hp as a 700cc engine. That says a lot about these 450 engines...making that much power with that much less cc's.
HOWEVER, if you or your trusted racing shop wants to throw some attention toward the 700 motor, they can be made into beasts. 450's wont be able to touch them in a drag...not without power adders like turbo or alky/nos.
Once you mod the 700's motor its all over. Yeah...they are close with equal mods but you do anything to the motor and the 700 will start walking.

I have a 450 (yfz) and I ride with them all the time. With my setup and knowing how to shift and put the power down on these 700's, the 450's dont stand a chance. We race them all the time....and we have raced my yfz against our 1st 700.
even though the yfz has a better power/weight ratio....and is pretty much even in the HP arena both stock and with bolt ons...they DO NOT have the torque nor can they as efficiently put the power to the ground (atleast where we ride).
I was on the other side of the fence for a long time on this. I was such a Devout 450 rider, it wasnt even funny. I had my 450 tuned up pretty much as far as you could take a stock bore, without going to power adders.
Well, I tuned my yfz down for selling purposes and sold pretty much all my parts to my buddy. I have more of his motor on my quad than I do of mine. Its down to cammod, gytr clutch, fresh stock 11.9.1 piston, spot on jetting using the yz needle, WB intake w/o lid, stock exhaust with cork removed and various weight saving parts made of aluminum. This quad will still hand a stock 06 450 its ass, so its running strong. We ran it against out 1st 700 (ladies) bone stock, show room condition. Absolutely nothing was touched on the 700. Raced on asphault and it was 50/50 out of the hole, and the 700 ALWAYS passing by third if it didnt get the hole shot. After riding them back to back and racing several times, switching riders and getting the same results I went to the other side of the fence and purchased my own 700!
I ride with another friend that has all bolt ons on his 05 yfz, vs my all bolt ons 06 700. 700 walks him every time. Gets embarrasing at the end of third and into 4th! :thumbsup:

............you made a good choice with your machine, dont worry about that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
135boom said:
Wolverine said:
The problem, I am having with my friends 450YFZ is that every time, I beat them they :'( you got a 700 and we got a lil 450.
well, there "little" 450 has more technology and R&D thrown at it then our 700's could ever hope of having. Yamaha has been working with that motor since 98, and they have a lot at stake with that motor. Its there racing motor!
The 700 motor hasnt had the same attention thrown at it...obviously....when a "little 450" makes the same hp as a 700cc engine. That says a lot about these 450 engines...making that much power with that much less cc's.
HOWEVER, if you or your trusted racing shop wants to throw some attention toward the 700 motor, they can be made into beasts. 450's wont be able to touch them in a drag...not without power adders like turbo or alky/nos.
Once you mod the 700's motor its all over. Yeah...they are close with equal mods but you do anything to the motor and the 700 will start walking.

I have a 450 (yfz) and I ride with them all the time. With my setup and knowing how to shift and put the power down on these 700's, the 450's dont stand a chance. We race them all the time....and we have raced my yfz against our 1st 700.
even though the yfz has a better power/weight ratio....and is pretty much even in the HP arena both stock and with bolt ons...they DO NOT have the torque nor can they as efficiently put the power to the ground (atleast where we ride).
I was on the other side of the fence for a long time on this. I was such a Devout 450 rider, it wasnt even funny. I had my 450 tuned up pretty much as far as you could take a stock bore, without going to power adders.
Well, I tuned my yfz down for selling purposes and sold pretty much all my parts to my buddy. I have more of his motor on my quad than I do of mine. Its down to cammod, gytr clutch, fresh stock 11.9.1 piston, spot on jetting using the yz needle, WB intake w/o lid, stock exhaust with cork removed and various weight saving parts made of aluminum. This quad will still hand a stock 06 450 its ass, so its running strong. We ran it against out 1st 700 (ladies) bone stock, show room condition. Absolutely nothing was touched on the 700. Raced on asphault and it was 50/50 out of the hole, and the 700 ALWAYS passing by third if it didnt get the hole shot. After riding them back to back and racing several times, switching riders and getting the same results I went to the other side of the fence and purchased my own 700!
I ride with another friend that has all bolt ons on his 05 yfz, vs my all bolt ons 06 700. 700 walks him every time. Gets embarrasing at the end of third and into 4th! :thumbsup:

............you made a good choice with your machine, dont worry about that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet!! Lte just told me they would dent my pipes and send me a set that would fit.... so it begins. Im with ya boom. Im going 15t as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.