Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
This came right from the Sticky about 450 shock installation.

--The change in ride height will depend on quite a few factors so not all bikes will be have the same way. Heavier riders and bikes with extended a arms will find the front end will sit lower than others. Preload is the major contributor to ride height, when you reduce preload down all of the way you will be at your lowest possible ride height but you will not have as much absorbtion when you try to land a jump. If you crank your preload way up to the top the bike will sit taller than it did with the stock shocks but you will have a much larger buffer against bottoming out. The settings you choose for this and other adjustments will depend on your bike, your riding type, your riding style, your weight, and eventually your personal preference as well. The best thing to do here is experiment.--

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Mine were ground on the bottom of the shock to make them fit, and I didn't have to grind the A-arm itself. On the other hand, it was necessary for me to cut off a small portion of the upper shock mount on the frame. That part was unavoidable for me, as I was just unwilling to grind on the shock body.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why didn't u grind on the shock and do u have any pics of it
If you have +2 A Arms or better, only grinding a very small bit on the top shock bracket is needed. Very easy install, and the preformace is well worth it!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Why didn't u grind on the shock and do u have any pics of it
Because it wasn't the top shock mount that would have had to be ground down, I would have had to cut a small portion of that actual shock body, and while I'm sure with the mm or two that were going to come off of it, that nothing would have been compromised, but I wasn't willing to take the chance. Cutting the 2mm off my frame was the better choice form me. I'll get a pic when I get home later.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
It might be more than 2mm, but it's not like you have to cut inches off. It's not a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
No, you don't have to flip your rear link, that is completely your preference.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You are still going to have to cut your top mounts on your frame, whether you get the ACE arms or something else, but as far as whether or not you will have to grind the bottom of the shock mount, I'm not sure. You don't have to do any cutting/grinding on the arm itself, that much I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.