Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Brute force 750 (Kawa) if you want 4X4, KFX 700 if you want to go with 2WD. If she is riding with you on a rappy, go with the KFX 700.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Why does everyone always overlook the Grizzly (they have the same motors as our Raptors)? My neighbor has a 660 Grizzly; the thing has yet to let us down and just won't die. He jumps it off dunes and everything. Yes, a Grizzly can fly.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
Brute force 750 (Kawa) if you want 4X4, KFX 700 if you want to go with 2WD. If she is riding with you on a rappy, go with the KFX 700.
Headrope said:
Why does everyone always overlook the Grizzly (they have the same motors as our Raptors)? My neighbor has a 660 Grizzly; the thing has yet to let us down and just won't die. He jumps it off dunes and everything. Yes, a Grizzly can fly.
The Brute Force still has electrical gremlins and lags behind with the lack of EFI. The Grizz 700 is still tippy and still down on power for the segment. The 660 had it's share of problems as well.

I can't in good conscience recommend a big bore utility atv for the average female rider. They're big, they're heavy, they guzzle gas, and they can be tiring to throw around the trail all day even for a seasoned rider. I think you're in the right size bracket with the wolverine.

The wolverine is a good choice, but honestly it's just a utility quad without the racks. Actually just about everything in the midrange class (350-500cc) that has an automatic trans is a utility or a utility dressed up to look like a sport quad.

Polaris' Hawkeye is too small IMO (300cc) and is built to a price. The trailboss 330 is old, ugly, and the 330 was never a very impressive motor. It's become pretty reliable with time though. The Scrambler 500 is actually closest in price at around 6200 and it's a good machine but we're getting back into heavy territory at around 600 wet. This is the closest match to the wolverine as far as vehicle class goes and I'd likely look into it if for no other reason that increased appreciation for the wolverine 450. The 500HO makes good power and moves the scrambler around quite well. Handling isn't bad either considering what it is and weighs.

Another choice is Honda's Rancher line. The Rancher AT is a mechanical CVT automatic with selectable 4wd and just shy of 400cc. It's about the same price as the Scramber 500 (around 6200) and it's in between in weight. IMO the better choice is the Rancher 420 ES. It's a traditional auto-clutch manual transmission but has an electronic shift program that lets you change gear with an up/down push button on the handlebars. I owned this system on an 01 Rancher ES and it was extremely easy to use. Guests who'd never ridden atvs were able to operate it effectively and even my 7 year old baby sister was able to operate it. The 420 ES is liquid cooled and has EFI, a first for this market segment. It's also cheaper than the Wolverine 450 at 5500 bucks. Weight isn't bad at 560 pounds dry and the chassis is essentially the same size as the 350 I used to own (same chassis as the 400AT also) and it's a great size for ladies and smaller riders.

Kawasaki's KFX700 is as light as the wolvy at 520 dry but it doesn't have 4wd, it's expensive at 6500 bucks, and it's not exactly nible and quick handling. It's a nice cruise machine but most comfortable for larger riders and gets hard to handle in technical sections or at speed. I've had some personal experience with the electrical gremlins in the kawasaki 4wd utilities so I hesitate to recommend them. The prairie 360 4x4 is a good little machine, it's pretty cheap at 5200, and has a reliable engine but it's fairly utilitarian. The Brute Force 650 has a lot of power, and about as good as you'll see a big ute handle. It's better than a 400-500 ute in every way for the same price but it's heavy and still expensive at 6500.

Suzuki's Kingquad 450 looks like a nice bike, I haven't ridden one but I've seen them in action. The engine is good and the handling is good for an IRS bike, the biggest drawback is the dry weight of 600 pounds and to a lesser extent the price of 6500. The eiger has a smaller 400cc liquid cooled engine and has a great price of 5200 or so but it's still just as heavy as the KQ450 at 600 and handles like the utilitiy tank it is.

Bomb's line is good but the 400 model is in the 600 pound dry area and isn't a bargain at 6300 for the cheapest model.

The wolverine 450 is essentially an old kodiak in a new suit. It's light for it's class at only 520 pounds and it's a good buy at 6k. Sorry to say I don't have one but I've ridden the old kodi and it was a good machine that handled fairly well for a ute. I'm sure they've done the required suspension changes to make it handle a little more like a sport quad and less like a workhorse. It'd be a good choice both for the price and for the equipment.

Hope that helps a little, I figure anyone looking at one atv should know what the competition is doing if for no other reason than to understand why you want the one you're looking at.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Markcuda said:
Most peeps on this forum probably don't like 4x4 quads, go to a website that is into the 4x4 thing.
www.grizzlycentral.com
www.highlifter.com
I wasn't just blowing smoke up his arse when I made this comment:

Maddog56 said:
I can't in good conscience recommend a big bore utility atv for the average female rider. They're big, they're heavy, they guzzle gas, and they can be tiring to throw around the trail all day even for a seasoned rider. I think you're in the right size bracket with the wolverine.
Currently got an 04 Prairie 700 4x4, last bike was an 01 Rancher ES 4x4. Also in the family/group we've got an 00 Sportsman 500 RSE, 05 Sportsman 800, 9? Arctic Cat 454, and an 04 Eiger 400; all 4x4 utes and that's not including bikes that the family/group owned before.

IMO a good 4x4 ute is a better trail ride than most sport quads. I always opted for the Rancher when doing trail rides over 15 miles. I've learned that midsized and nimble is more important and much more fun and comfortable that all out power in the trails, and I've also learned that our Prairie 700 gets worse gas mileage than my modified 660 Raptor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.