Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 raptor 660. Yosh RS-3 full system exhaust with K&N filter. I drilled two 1 3/4" holes in the lid. I had the bike jetted the bike with 150's. I am sputting at the top end. I believe that I need the 155 on the right carb. I ride with 8 friends who all ride the 450r. They are faster on the top end. Some are stock and some are piped and jetted. Do you think the jetting is the problem? I am at sea level. Any suggestions?

Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,057 Posts
Jets should be staggered, right carb one size larger main than the left.

If you want to beat them, remove the lid. The raptor breathes much better without it. You could also regear if you've got room to spare off the line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,016 Posts
Depending on your altitude, you haven't used a big enough jet.

Straight out of the box, your Raptor came with Mikuni 140 in the left carb, and a Mikuni 145 in the right carb.

If you are at 3000 feet or less, run a Mikini 155 in the left carb, and a Mikuni 160 in the right. Mixture screw should be 2.5 turns from fully seated. Try switching out your factory pilots out with a Mikuni 25 pilot jet.

Like Maddog said, your Raptor will breath well removing the lid, but if you remove the lid, I would run a little larger jet. I would run a Mikuni 160 in the right and a Mikuni 165 in the right. I would stick with the Mikuni 25 pilot jets too.

If you are unsure of your altitude, send me a PM of the name of the airport closest to where you ride, and I'll look it up in my airport facility directories. If you are higher thatn 3000 feet, then I would recommend a different jet settings.

~Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I am going up to a 155 on the right tonight. I have Dynojets but I the problem persists I will get the Mikuni jets. The bike is defintely faster off the line but they take me at around the quarter mile. Now in the dirt or mud it is a different story. I'm in Miami and ride in Ocala National Forest so there altitude is not a problem.

Thanks for the help. Will let you know the results.

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,016 Posts
RaptorFreak said:
Thanks guys,
I am going up to a 155 on the right tonight. I have Dynojets but I the problem persists I will get the Mikuni jets. The bike is defintely faster off the line but they take me at around the quarter mile. Now in the dirt or mud it is a different story. I'm in Miami and ride in Ocala National Forest so there altitude is not a problem.

Thanks for the help. Will let you know the results.

Phil
Dynojets?

No worries. Florida is well under 3000ft. ASL.

A 155 Dynojet is still too small. I would run a 165 Dynojet in the left carb, and a Dynojet 170 in the right carb. I don't think Dynojet makes pilot jets (If they do, I'm not aware of them), so stick a Mikuni 25 pilot jet in each carb, and you're ready to rock! Your Raptor will scream!

~Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Flynbyu said:
RaptorFreak said:
Thanks guys,
I am going up to a 155 on the right tonight. I have Dynojets but I the problem persists I will get the Mikuni jets. The bike is defintely faster off the line but they take me at around the quarter mile. Now in the dirt or mud it is a different story. I'm in Miami and ride in Ocala National Forest so there altitude is not a problem.

Thanks for the help. Will let you know the results.

Phil
Dynojets?

No worries. Florida is well under 3000ft. ASL.

A 155 Dynojet is still too small. I would run a 165 Dynojet in the left carb, and a Dynojet 170 in the right carb. I don't think Dynojet makes pilot jets (If they do, I'm not aware of them), so stick a Mikuni 25 pilot jet in each carb, and you're ready to rock! Your Raptor will scream!

~Brian
Would the dynojet 165 and 170 you speak of be too large , i would think that you are meaning the Mikuni 165 and 170.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,
I put a Dynojet 155 on the left and a 160 on the right. Rode it last night with the airbox lid on and off. I wont be able to tell the full effect until Sunday. Judging from last night, the rejetting helped alot. I will let you know if I whip the 450's on Sunday. I appreciate everyone's input.

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,016 Posts
yamitude said:
Flynbyu said:
RaptorFreak said:
Thanks guys,
I am going up to a 155 on the right tonight. I have Dynojets but I the problem persists I will get the Mikuni jets. The bike is defintely faster off the line but they take me at around the quarter mile. Now in the dirt or mud it is a different story. I'm in Miami and ride in Ocala National Forest so there altitude is not a problem.

Thanks for the help. Will let you know the results.

Phil
Dynojets?

No worries. Florida is well under 3000ft. ASL.

A 155 Dynojet is still too small. I would run a 165 Dynojet in the left carb, and a Dynojet 170 in the right carb. I don't think Dynojet makes pilot jets (If they do, I'm not aware of them), so stick a Mikuni 25 pilot jet in each carb, and you're ready to rock! Your Raptor will scream!

~Brian
Would the dynojet 165 and 170 you speak of be too large , i would think that you are meaning the Mikuni 165 and 170.
No, they would not be too large if the airbox lid was removed. If the airbox lid was in place, yes they would be too large.

Dynojet 165 > Mikuni 150
Dynojet 170 < Mikuni 160 (but not by much!)

From what I've read in the past, Mikuni is measured by flow rate, Dynojet is measured by diameter of the hole. I've never had a problem with my settings, and I use Mikuni jets. My buddy uses Dynojets and has no problems with the settings I posted earlier.

~Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,016 Posts
RaptorFreak said:
Hey guys,
I put a Dynojet 155 on the left and a 160 on the right. Rode it last night with the airbox lid on and off. I wont be able to tell the full effect until Sunday. Judging from last night, the rejetting helped alot. I will let you know if I whip the 450's on Sunday. I appreciate everyone's input.

Phil
Be sure to put in a new plug, and read your plug to make sure your not too rich/lean.

~Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been riding in Ocala National Forest for around 15 years. They have changed the rules alot but it is still open to ride. If you look on google earth and search for Astor, Florida and scroll north you will see a navy bombing range. The area all around it is excellent riding. The major rule change is no riding at night. Or at least don't get caught. Also, no riding on numbered dirt roads. I think it is still the best overall riding if Florida. In Miami the only place to ride is near Holiday Park (borders the everglades). Flat and lots of coral. If anyone knows other spots in Florida, post it.

Phil :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian,
Should load the raptor up on your plane and fly to Florida. How's the riding where you are? Are you having any problems with the honda's?


Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,016 Posts
RaptorFreak said:
Brian,
Should load the raptor up on your plane and fly to Florida. How's the riding where you are? Are you having any problems with the honda's?


Phil
Forget flying the Raptor down! I'd love to live in Florida. The riding here in the western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma area is good. We don't have any restrictions for noise, and most places are free to ride. You can ride virtually all winter, except for late January and February.

You asked if I'm having any problems with Hondas...Not many Honda 450's here out and about. I've ran two against two and beat them both by a bike - bike and a half over a 250-300 yard stretch. I did have the opportunity to ride one that had a Yoshimura Tri-Oval installed, and it wasn't all that. I felt like I was on a kids bike. I liked the YFZ450's throttle response better, and I don't like the way that bike feels.

The only bike I have trouble with is the 700's. I can keep up until third, and when a 700 is hitting forth, it pulls away by a bike length.

~Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I live in south florida too, I ride at Croom ( an hour south of ocala ). I wanna try ocala someday, but not too excited about camping, but it will be worth it, im sure. I also ride at Seminole MX in Big cypress and Holeylands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've only read about Croom. Too many restrictions for me. Ocala is cool but they are adding rules all the time. Most of the time I stay in Orlando and drive around 30 minutes to Ocala. Just north of Eustis, Florida. You should Google Earth it and check it out. Search for Eustis. Then pan north and you will see a main road running north. Keep looking to the west side of the road. You will see the navy bombing range in the middle of the woods with a perimeter road in a circle around it. Just back south of that is a long dirt road with powerlines clearly visible. All of that area is open for riding. When I can't get there i'll drive to Clewestin, just of 80 and ride. It's o.k. but not as good as Ocala. Miami sucks for riding (legally anyway).


Phil :thumbsup:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top