Raptor Forum banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'm back. I actually got it running.......sort of. After all that messing with it, I went and got a new spark plug, and low and behold, she fired right up. I went back and read this whole thread, and I think Hemi43 is the "winner". Now to pick your brains about the new issues. I guess while turning this thing over for so much, I wore out the starter one way bearing. So I replaced it with a new gear from LA Designs. It helped. Now, when I hit the starter button, most of the time it just grunts to turn over slightly, and the starter relay starts clicking. I have tried a fresh battery and still does it. I can pull the spark plug and everything turns over nicely. So that leads me to believe that it is not the one way bearing or anything in there. I can put the spark plug back in, and sometimes it will start right up. Once started and riding, it will usually start and restart for a while. If I hit the starter button repeatedly, sometimes it "backfires" through the intake and then starts up. It's extremely annoying and hard to figure out.

Is there a decompression mechanism or something that relieves compression on startup. Can this go bad and if so, how do I test for it. Where is it? I practially gave up on this thing for a month and just started messing with it again. I appreciate everyone's help on this again, and apologize for being such a p.i.t.a. Any suggestions?
Check the voltage at the battery cable on the battery. Then check the voltage at the battery cable at the Relay. Then check the voltage at the starter cable at the Relay with the key on and the starter button pushed. Then check the voltage at the starter cable on the starter with the key on and the starter button pushed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well my bike did this a while back right before I fried the actual start button. I would hit the button but it would just click, so I jumped the 2 wires in the ignition switch and it worked. But just my experience im throwing out there.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Mine just clicked and it ended up being the solenoid. Did it a couple times before it quit working all together. Try using a good battery and jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. Also check all of your connections for corrosion. I melted a terminal off my battery (cheap one that came in it) last week because there was corrosion between the connections.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts