Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, been a while since Ive been on here after getting rid of my raptor last year. I'm thinking about grabbing up another quad since I know once spring hits there will be a big itch to ride...especially with this crappy winter we've had here and my sled sitting all winter. That being said I'm tempted to see if I can find a deal with someone that would take a sled on trade. Actually found what looks to be a really nice 05' that's got some mods to it. My only concern is Ive never sat or rode a 450. I had a modded 660R and actually really liked that quad once I was done with it but is the physical size of the 450 much different? I don't want to feel like a giant on one. Ive thought of a 700R too but feel with my riding style a 450 would be a better fit. Im pretty aggresive and every so often take on a few practice mx tracks at my local riding areas. Not sure how the 700 will handle without some suspension work?

Open to thoughts good or bad. Lay them out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
well if u bought a 700 with piggy backs youd be fine jumping hell i still got my pogos and she jumps fine. 450s are deff physically smaller. its night and day from my 700 to my 450. im 6'2"-6'3" and i fit fine on my kfx which is smaller weight wise then the honda. now if i rode it all the time id deff to an extended stem or bar risers cause the bars feel a little low to me. they are very light and nimble but the 700s are just monsters and worth the time to fiddle with the suspension. if all u did was race yeah a 450s the way to go but if u trail alot id recoment the 700 aint nothing like it on the trails. plus if u liked ur 660 a 700 will feel like a dream lol least it was for me when i went from 660 to 700

·
Registered
437 Posts
heres a few shots of mine side by side. the 700 isnt a hell of a lot bigger. bare in mine i have the swaped rear link too

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm 6'7" and I hate the YFZ450's. I like the ride but it's way to crammed for me. I sure with risers and stuff it might feel better but noting like a Raptor. Even Raptors fell small for me though having rode a DS650 for 7+ years. And them Ds's are tanks to. If you not 6'2"+ they look to big for the person riding them. I have yet to even ride my new 700 but it does fell more comfortable even just sitting on it then my 660 did.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I fully understand your dilemma. I am 6'3" myself. I ride dunes and track and have owned both. Without question a 450 is better for the track. Heres the thing in your advantage. It will be a lot easier for you to controll that taller and heavier 700 than the average rider at say 5'10" could. I would recommend the 700. It will be so much more comfortable for you stock vs. stock.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kinda had a feeling this would be the response. I HATED my stock raptor when I first got it. I put on some YFZ suspension and widened it 6", and put on some meaty tires and junked the stock worn out dunlops. It made a huge difference, loved the torque of the engine tho.

I guess I'll sway more towards a 700. Is there any to shy away from? Where there any lemons out there in the 700 world? Thanks for all the replies guys. 8)

·
Registered
437 Posts
as far as i know there wasnt any significant downfall to any of the years likt the 01 tranny problems in the 660 just simply 07 se and up have piggy shocks and 09 and up have speedos after that its just preferance

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I guess I'll sway more towards a 700. Is there any to shy away from? Were there any lemons out there in the 700 world?
There were a few mentions of peoples Raptor 700's having a "vapor-lock" type of issue when they first came out, but it only seemed to happen for a short while as I haven't read anything about it in over 5 years. I have a very early Raptor 700, purchased in August 2005, that did the "vapor-lock" thing on me once in Summer 2006, but hasn't again since then. It happened in high elevation (about 8,000 ft.) and after riding the quad for about 2 hours non-stop. It eventually started again 10 minutes later.

That's the only very minor issue that is known (if it even exists really) so the only thing you should look for is if it was maintained well or not. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
If I remember right, bo said the the 08's and up have a better port job on the the head from the factory and thats why there's a decent difference between them and the 06's and 07's on the dyno..

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
My biggest concern with the YFZ was with how small it felt to me compared to my 660. I'm only 6' tall, but I'm 235 pounds, and I just felt like a grizzly bear riding a tricycle. The power was there, but I felt really cramped, even with bar risers on it. I just like the idea of a bigger bike. And I'm looking for a 700 lol, little bigger still.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am 6'5" 200 lbs and I had a 700 but got more involved into XC racing and sold the 700 for a LTR 450. I dont feel cramped on the LTR at all and I am sure the new YFZ- R/X would feel the same way. They have a larger seat and cockpit. Also, i loved the ability to lug the 700 and the endless straight line power/speed, but the LTR did not let me down at all in the power department either. As far as power mods go, both my 700 and LTR had the big 3.

No doubt the LTR handles better, but it is not as La-z-boy comfortable(as i call it) as the 700. I definitely noticed a change where the LTR was not wearing me out as much as the 700 too.

If I was not racing XC, I would still have the 700 and enjoying every second of it. If you plan to do MX, I would suggest a 450, but a 700 is adequate for the occasional trip to the track. Dunes or just open trail riding, go with the 700. Also, I must say that the 700 was a BREEZE to do regular maintenance compared to the LTR and most other 450's.

The best thing for you to do is research multiple sites to not be biased and figure out the flaws of each quad. Sit on some different quads at the stealership, and maybe go to a local track or riding area and try some out. At the very least, look up some of the quads that are for sale in your area, and just test ride them.

I have a lot more I could say about specific 450's and the 700, but hopefully this can all help you out for now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am 6'5" 200 lbs
You're a big boy!

I had a 700 but got more involved into XC racing and sold the 700 for a LTR 450. I dont feel cramped on the LTR at all and I am sure the new YFZ- R/X would feel the same way. They have a larger seat and cockpit.
I have all three of the bikes you listed above, I love them all in their own unique way. The yfzR feels more cramped from the factory because of the peg height. There are a few companies that offer Nerf bars and custom pegs with a lower peg height which is necessary for anyone over 5'8" IMO! I'm only 5'11" and I felt like I was on a 250 when I got the yfzR until I got pro-peg nerfs that lowered the peg mount by 1" and it feels good now.

Also, i loved the ability to lug the 700 and the endless straight line power/speed, but the LTR did not let me down at all in the power department either. As far as power mods go, both my 700 and LTR had the big 3.
Agreed. I have (had, actually. I just got news last night that the $3000 Pro-race head on my LTR is junk, I need a whole new built head) a built LTR and a built Raptor. Raptor high 70's in hp and LTR high 50's and the Zuk would run right along side the Raptor on asphalt until 5th gear. The Zuk is no slouch.

No doubt the LTR handles better, but it is not as La-z-boy comfortable(as i call it) as the 700. I definitely noticed a change where the LTR was not wearing me out as much as the 700 too.
The LTR geometry is one of the best in the industry, it handles everything well! Many top-name suspension builders (Walsh, LSR, Houser, JB, GTT) are offering a product in some shape or form that utilizes LTR450 spindles on Honda and yfzR 450 machines.

If I was not racing XC, I would still have the 700 and enjoying every second of it. If you plan to do MX, I would suggest a 450, but a 700 is adequate for the occasional trip to the track. Dunes or just open trail riding, go with the 700.
I can agree with this statement considering you're as tall as a tree!

Also, I must say that the 700 was a BREEZE to do regular maintenance compared to the LTR and most other 450's.
Maintenance on the LTR450 is a pain in the dick! I don't get where Suzuki's head was at. Maintenance on the 700r is great, but even better is maintenance on the yfzR! That machine is very simplified, Yamaha really got an A+ on their homework for that machine.

The best thing for you to do is research multiple sites to not be biased and figure out the flaws of each quad. Sit on some different quads at the stealership, and maybe go to a local track or riding area and try some out. At the very least, look up some of the quads that are for sale in your area, and just test ride them.

I have a lot more I could say about specific 450's and the 700, but hopefully this can all help you out for now
Well written, I'm glad you shared and hope you don't mind my input as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I'm 6'5" also, look (& feel) like a grasshopper gone wrong on the LTR & YFZ that I have ridden. However I did like the way the YFZ rode.

Has spurred me on with my build somewhat, next thing will be some really good shocks.
But the thing I need most with it is seat time.......

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm 6'5" also, look (& feel) like a grasshopper gone wrong on the LTR & YFZ that I have ridden. However I did like the way the YFZ rode.

Has spurred me on with my build somewhat, next thing will be some really good shocks.
But the thing I need most with it is seat time.......
Seat time is paramount!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.