Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone that makes an aftermarket flywheel for the 660s? any pros, cons?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Trail Tech did, but they have been out of production a while. You have an 05, the flywheel on the previous models was lighter. Switch to the 02-03 flywheel and one-way setup and that will get you about 70% of the weight savings of the trail tech.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Trail Tech did, but they have been out of production a while. You have an 05, the flywheel on the previous models was lighter. Switch to the 02-03 flywheel and one-way setup and that will get you about 70% of the weight savings of the trail tech.
The early flywheels are definitely lighter and including the oneway compared to the later 660 flywheels.........
I have the 02 flywheel that I machined down as far as I dared and I could tell the difference in the performance..............

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the only reason i am looking for an aftermarket is because i NEED a flywheel. i purchased a used one off the forum from another member and its from an 01-03 engine. i have an 05 and didnt do my homework before i purchased it....i thought they were all the same.

i have a LA one way bearing that has about 5 hours on it (for a 04/05 flywheel). thus, i am looking for a stock flywheel because mine got damaged when the crank shaft broke.

if i cannot find an 04/05 flywheel in a couple days i think i will just order the kit that LA one way offers with a 01-03 bearing and matching 52t gear. i realize yamaha upgraded the starter bearing setup in 04, making the diameter larger, to help eliminate its problems.....but i think if i go with the aftermarket LA one way, 01-03 flywheel, and of course the 01-03 52t gear i shouldnt have a problem

any input on my idea is appreciated.

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
I have the Trailtech lightened flywheel and have been told not to run it. guess they have issues with some. I have not decided which to run yet, stock or the TT.... I am thinking with my 3 plug'r that the TT would really wrap out.

The TT wheel shaves off 17oz's if I remember correct and you can find a lightened one way and save like 23oz total. I have both parts but have had many say not to go that route. Most builders from what I have heard like to add weight to the flywheel to carry the motion.

Like I said I have heard it both ways, I wanted the R's but afraid the sucker coming apart and trashin motor. Who do ya believe?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Heavier flywheel increases torque and smooths idle, lighter increases throttle response at the cost of smooth idle... both will turn the same revs, heavier just takes a bit longer to get there.

I really don't see why a lighter flywheel is that important - the rotating inertia of the rest of the system is large in comparison, as is the load of the bike, drag, etc., under acceleration... it's just when you want that LAST bit that it might make a difference.

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
Maybe I should have said faster rev'n. Just thinking always trying to lighten "rotating" drive train, why not lighten the load the motor has to rotate? I feel the same in a way the amount your taking away is not that much but sure seems to make a difference, Or so many say. I am a lite weight and can't see what a lil weight off the flywheel will hurt. That said I will prob be running the lightened one way and stock fly wheel. 6 one and half dozen the other.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I weigh 260 and prefer the heavier flywheel for launching.

I tried a shaved flywheel on my banshee and hated it. It made it rev faster but it also bogged easier. Bogging isnt really an issue with the 660 but it does launch better for me.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Maybe I should have said faster rev'n. Just thinking always trying to lighten "rotating" drive train, why not lighten the load the motor has to rotate? I feel the same in a way the amount your taking away is not that much but sure seems to make a difference, Or so many say. I am a lite weight and can't see what a lil weight off the flywheel will hurt. That said I will prob be running the lightened one way and stock fly wheel. 6 one and half dozen the other.
All I know is my bike would accelerate a HELL of a lot faster if I lost 30 pounds, vs shaving a few ounces off of my flywheel, LOL.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I know is my bike would accelerate a HELL of a lot faster if I lost 30 pounds, vs shaving a few ounces off of my flywheel, LOL.
hah! no doubt. im in that 275 range, so i know i dont stand a chance racing against those little 18 year old punks that would fly away in a 40 mph wind lol.

about the flywheel.....i just went ahead and ordered an new OEM piece. i figured id pay around 100 for a good used one......so 200 for a new one isnt the end of the world.

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
Well I am in my 30's and tip the scales at 132lbs... So drop'n a few pounds is not so easy for me.. LOL

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Trailtech flywheels are trash. Not sure even if they still make em. If u want a lighter than stock fly wheel sent it to LRD they have lightened several for me i was very impressed!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys I have to change out my starter clutch bearing aswell and was wondering if there are any other write ups on how to change it out. The other sites don't work anymore . Thanks

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It's not hard at all. Drain oil, pull stator cover, then you will need a flywheel puller and you will also need longer bolts to. You can rent the tool from a Autozone but the bolts will not be long enough that come with it. I think I got some that were 120mm and they worked just fine. I can not remeamber the thread size you need though as it has been a couple years. then just pull the flywheel and unbolt the old one way and with new bolt put the other one on and the 52 tooth gear if you are replacing it. then put it all back together.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Look at sticky top of 660 General section - there's an archive of the old Raptortranny write up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts