Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air Filter Mod.

Has anyone heard or done any modifications to the stock foam air filter metal screen? I would think that with a few big holes in that thing with a UNI on top would allow for more air flow. Any one do this? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes u r wrong on two counts...1) ur in the 700 section... 2) don't drill holes in the metal screen...its there to keep stuff out of there..drill holes in the air box instead...
Didn't notice the wrong section thing, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I should take this question to the 660 section or a Mod can move it? But since I already started it here, here goes.

Thanks for the info! My thought is If I were to get a pro design type adapter to allow for a clamp on foam filter, they don't have a metal screen under the filter. As well as most dirt bikes, just a plastic cage with foam wrapped around it. So I thought having that metal screen is just adding to air restriction. Of course it also holds the filter in place and keeps its form.

Just curious if anyone has done this I guess, and if it would be a bad idea

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I read on another Raptor forum that the screen portion of the filter cage is a back-fire "protector" that Yamaha had to put there to satisfy regulations. According to this other forums post, by removing some of the screen (not structural parts of the cage) they claim to have an increase of HP on the dyno. Has anyone tried this here that can verify that claim?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well I read on another Raptor forum that the screen portion of the filter cage is a back-fire "protector" that Yamaha had to put there to satisfy regulations. According to this other forums post, by removing some of the screen (not structural parts of the cage) they claim to have an increase of HP on the dyno. Has anyone tried this here that can verify that claim?
Not sure, I threw away my stock box setup along time ago..Just get a Pro Design filter plate & K&N or foam filter..Then you can ditch the lid & re jet for some good power gains.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Threads merged.

Yank the snorkel, put some holes in the airbox lid and save up for a pro-design clamp on kit or an airbox elimination kit. Leave the cage alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the filter itself is a lot more restrictive than the cage
Maybe so, but why add to the restriction. Regardless, I'm just looking for experienced advice and will go with the consensus.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uh.... It's a Power Core 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts