Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just polling the audience to get some collective thoughts on the best replacement battery for your dollar that works well for a 660 Rappy. Mine’s an 01 if that relevant. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i think the grizzly batteries work pretty good
Stock Raptor battery is 200cca
Grizz Battery is 260 or 270cca
HD Grizz Batter is 310.

I run a yusa hd grizz battery. It is a pretty tight squezz but it will fit.

josh

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
03, you say you have the HD grizz battery. for the grizz application, it says on yusa's web site....

Battery Type: YTX20HL-BS
Requires use of Yuasa cover/spacer kit part no. 478651
See Battery Cross Reference Chart below

did you have to use this kit?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
No kit required. That part number you listed is all you need. Just ebay search it. I went with a GENUINE Yuasa battery. There is a reaason why all the atv mfg's use them instead of Bike Masters or other aftermarket batteries. Don't get the YTX20HL-BS-PW it is different.

Josh

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
it shows these batteries coming with the acid separately.... is that how your's were too? i guess i thought it would be a completely sealed battery...

also, when looking at this it shows the polarity being opposite from the battery in my raptor http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-MOTOCYC...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48368015a7

EDIT.....ok, i think i am seeing a pattern here. they make that same model number battery for numerous different machines. so, they make the polarity both ways for that model number. thus, i need to make damn sure i get the one for the GRIZZZZZZZZZZZ

edit again........ this one right HERE http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...860770QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Ethire one of those should work. If the polarity is different it should have a different part number. The other one I refreanced another member went ahead and bought it, before I told him not to. I dont think he as recieved it yet. It showed to have the same deminsions except that is was 20mm taller. It had a note saying that it came with a 20mm spacer. So I am wondering if it is the same battery and comes with a 20mm spacer.

As long as your battery is a YTX20HL-BS it should be fine.

Find that battery part number in the drop down window on yuasa's web page. It will bring up a list of every machine it fits.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery_search.php?action=showListing

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
As for the acid I cant remember how mine came. I think it was already filled ready to go. I dont know if Yuasa sent it out that way or if the guy I bought it from fills and charges them so you can just slap them in and go when you get it.

If yours comes dry dont put the acid in it until you can charge it. Letting the battery sit with acid and not charged will corode the battery plates and ruin them. Letting a battery sit dead is the hardest thing on them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
16,110 Posts
Damn, THAT'S why my positive cable has the giant U bend in it... the PO bought the battery with the opposite polarity - the terminals swapped, so he turned it around, putting the terminals to the rear. Always wondered why the cable was so much longer than necessary... DUHHHH.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Yea sorry the polarity is reversed from the Raptor to Grizzly battery. You just put it in backwards. You will also have to moddify the battery hold down. it is a snug fit in the battery box not much room. It wedges in pretty tight. Some guys dont even run a battery hold downiwth the grizzly battery.

I made a new POS battery cable for mine. Just went to napa and they matched up the gauge, and I bought 2 crip on lead ring termianals.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i figured so! i didnt mean to make a big deal of the situation, i just wanted to make damn sure i was getting the same battery you were talking about. we make battery cables at work, so i will just make a new cable with some 8 gauge wire. the negative cable looks long enough to maneuver wherever it needs to go...

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i figured so! i didnt mean to make a big deal of the situation, i just wanted to make damn sure i was getting the same battery you were talking about. we make battery cables at work, so i will just make a new cable with some 8 gauge wire. the negative cable looks long enough to maneuver wherever it needs to go...
Yea you can manuver the neg cable just fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
thanks for the help. just ordered one off ebay for $105.....seemed like a good deal compared to the $120-145 i was seeing other places

·
Registered
116 Posts
As for the acid I cant remember how mine came. I think it was already filled ready to go. I dont know if Yuasa sent it out that way or if the guy I bought it from fills and charges them so you can just slap them in and go when you get it.

If yours comes dry dont put the acid in it until you can charge it. Letting the battery sit with acid and not charged will corode the battery plates and ruin them. Letting a battery sit dead is the hardest thing on them.

Batteries that come dry are already charged !!
All you have to do is add the acid, and if time allows, put it on a trickle charge overnight, but this is not necessary since the battery will already be 80-90% fully charged
When the battery is manufactured, they fill them full of acid, charge them, then drain the acid out for shipment.
The acid is only an electrolyte, and is NOT where the charge is. The plates in the battery is where the charge is.
Dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I realize that this is a old thread, but still a few 660's running around.
ETX 14 is the correct battery.
No extra long cables needed.
No reversing of the terminals.
ETX14 is simply plug and play, and its what Yamaha intended.
Deka makes a great battery in my opinion.
Autozone Gold (only the GOLD) is made by Deka, and can usually be purchased a little less expensive that the same exact battery with the Deka label.
220 Cold cranking amps, is the most CCA available, for a battery this size, that I have found.
Anyway, my 660 needs a battery, and I stumbled across this old thread, and just wanted to let people know, that reversing the terminals, and making longer cables is not necessary in my opinion!
SHOCKING, I know!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts