Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone wire the fan to a switch ? so that i can manually turn it on and off , maybe put a switch in thru the ignition wire with a relay?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Then what happens when you forget to turn it on. There really isnt a need to wire the fan to a manual switch.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
You could always slice into the wires just before the thermostat. Run an on/off switch in parallel to it. This would allow you to turn it on manually and prevent damage if you forgot to.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
I wired mine on my 700. ON THE 700 you just tap into your head light hot low beam/high beam wire OR your kill switch (Anything you want AS LONG AS ITS HOT) Then flip the switch and it comes on. If you dont flip it. It still comes on.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Sure, it's been done... but WHY? Assuming the fan temperature switch at the radiator is working properly, the only thing you do by turning the fan on manually is make the engine run at temperatures that are cooler than ideal. If the fan is necessary, it comes on. Any other mode of operation and you're running too cool.

The Raptor's cooling system is quite efficient, when it's working properly... the fan seldomly comes on. You can test the system by idleing with a sheet of paper covering the radiator... the fan should come on within 10-20 minutes, and then go off after a couple, then cycle on and off every few minutes. If it does this, everything is working properly, no need for a switch or anything else.

If you're doing this because the fan temp switch isn't working (it doesn't come on till around 210F) then fix it - it's not much more expensive than buying a switch and requires less labor.

If you INSIST on adding a switch, simply connect your switch across the two wires on the fan temp switch (Called Thermo Switch 1 in the manual) - red/white stripe and blue wires. Close the switch, fan comes on. Open the switch, fan comes on only when it should.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
the only thing you do by turning the fan on manually is make the engine run at temperatures that are cooler than ideal.
Yep and running an engine cooler than what it is designed for is just as hard on it. Too cool of a cylinder with a hot piston will cause the clearance to be to tight.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I wired a switch into mine but DID not unhook the thermal switch just put a switch between them. My fan has never come on even when i was riding with a group that every bike was on. I am going to be putting an inline gauge and see what it is running. I only turn it on when I am riding slow with my friends and there 5 year old, little Suzuki 80's are not very fast, I never get out of 1st.

And as far as I know there is a thermostat to keep the engine at the right operating temp.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
And as far as I know there is a thermostat to keep the engine at the right operating temp.
Yea but if you have abnormally cool coolant going in to the bottom of the cylinder it is going to run cooler or have a larger variance in operating temperature.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I wired a switch into mine but DID not unhook the thermal switch just put a switch between them. My fan has never come on even when i was riding with a group that every bike was on. I am going to be putting an inline gauge and see what it is running. I only turn it on when I am riding slow with my friends and there 5 year old, little Suzuki 80's are not very fast, I never get out of 1st.

HK, I don't know why you insist on arguing... HOW do you know whether your fan SHOULD be coming on or not - answer? YOU DON'T... you've never bothered to test your system, yet assume that since some kid's Suzuki 80 fan has come on that your's should too? It just ain't so.

I'm not going to get into a deep discussion on thermodynamics or feedback control systems with you vis-a-vis thermostat controlled cooling systems, I don't think you'd get it... BUT the following is truth:

The Raptor has a VERY efficient cooling system. IF your water pump, radiator, radiator cap, head gasket, thermostat, and fan temperature switch are all working properly then the coolant will be held within the ideal operating temperatures that the Yamaha engineers designed the engine to operate under.

You can test ALL of these systems readily by covering the radiator with a sheet of paper and idling the engine - within 10-20 minutes or so, the fan should come on, then go off in a couple of minutes, then cycle every few minutes. This verifies full cooling system operation.

The ONLY rational reason to put a manual switch in the system is if you have a malfunctioning cooling system component and you are either too lazy or unable for some other reason to replace/repair the issue. Else you are forcing the engine to run at an artificially cooler temperature.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
HK, I don't know why you insist on arguing... HOW do you know whether your fan SHOULD be coming on or not - answer? YOU DON'T... you've never bothered to test your system, yet assume that since some kid's Suzuki 80 fan has come on that your's should too? It just ain't so.

I'm not going to get into a deep discussion on thermodynamics or feedback control systems with you vis-a-vis thermostat controlled cooling systems, I don't think you'd get it... BUT the following is truth:

The Raptor has a VERY efficient cooling system. IF your water pump, radiator, radiator cap, head gasket, thermostat, and fan temperature switch are all working properly then the coolant will be held within the ideal operating temperatures that the Yamaha engineers designed the engine to operate under.

You can test ALL of these systems readily by covering the radiator with a sheet of paper and idling the engine - within 10-20 minutes or so, the fan should come on, then go off in a couple of minutes, then cycle every few minutes. This verifies full cooling system operation.

The ONLY rational reason to put a manual switch in the system is if you have a malfunctioning cooling system component and you are either too lazy or unable for some other reason to replace/repair the issue. Else you are forcing the engine to run at an artificially cooler temperature.
:beer: Sounds great... Does this apply to the 700's?
I know I have a friend that has a 660 and his fan NEVER runs... I think it's broke lol. And I have a friend that has a 700 and we can ride side by side and his will be on within 10 mins and be on the rest the day and mine never kicks on. His is 100% stock and mine has some power mods. No cooling mods. I now have an over sized oil tank but have not ridden with him since.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I have no direct experience with 700's and so can't tell you what their cooling system characteristics are.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
:beer: Sounds great... Does this apply to the 700's?
I know I have a friend that has a 660 and his fan NEVER runs... I think it's broke lol. And I have a friend that has a 700 and we can ride side by side and his will be on within 10 mins and be on the rest the day and mine never kicks on. His is 100% stock and mine has some power mods. No cooling mods. I now have an over sized oil tank but have not ridden with him since.
You have never ridden with him again because of the oversized oil tank...........:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts