Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know this is my first post so my name is Ryan. i dont have an atv but it is a work in progress. i am 5'8 150lbs and was wondering if a raptor 660 would be a good first quad, im sure this question is repeated on a weekly basis so i apologize for that haha, i only have about 5-7 hours on any atv, the only other thing i have riden with handle bars is a mountain bike. i have riden my buddies 350 warrior and another buddies 250 raptor and ive had them both wide open and still felt like i wanted more, my buddy with the warrior has years of experience on atv's and also rides a honda cbr450r and he says that i would be fine with a 660 as long as i respect the power and exxagerate leaning into corners. sorry for the long story but i need abunch of opinions before i spend the money so i wanna get one i wont wanna replace

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
if you ride trails and dunes then a 660 would be fine. a 700 would be better. if you race look for a 450.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it would mostly be for trails and just messin around with friends i dont plan on turning into a professional rider but still want somethigng that doesnt require professional skills to ride, i have heard better things about the 660 compared to 700, but this could be personall preference, i was previously looking into a 350 raptor but my friend mentioned a 660 would be fine for me too so i decided i wanted a big boy quad

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Why would a 660 be better? I have been riding for 7 years, 1 on my 350 and I am looking for a 660 or YFZ. A 350 would be alright, but you will be looking for a bigger quad, IMO.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
a 350 is something i would get my gf to learn on before i moved her up to a 660/700/450. i wouldnt set out in search of one. go to yamaha.com and compare the 660 and 700 side by side. the 700 is wider, lower, longer and fuel injected. it will cost a bit more than a 660(fuel controllers are expensive) but probably be worth it. or if you dont mind playing with carbs and plan to buy ext a-arms and axle for a 660 then it would probably be cheaper to go that route. but its all up to you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dunno why a 660 would be better, as i said thats just what ive heard. ive heard the displacement of a 660 is closer to actually being 660cc compared to a 700 being 700cc, thats the only differences ive heard, are maitenence practices different between the 2? and yes thats what im worried about, i dont want to get a 350 and then a year or two later want something bigger, i want something i dont have to replace

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
From what I have heard, 660's have better bottom end. But then, you have to mess with carbs. A 700 is a 686cc and I am not sure what a 660 is. Where are you located? No matter what you get, watch out for the Mod Bug:wow:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
a 660 is a 660cc motor. 700's have 686cc motors. ive never ridden a 700 but i would assume stock vs stock a 700 would be a more enoyable experience with its wider and lower stance

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
a 700 has a much smoother powerband imo. I wouldn't even look at a 350. I had a 660 and it was good, but they are begining to become outdated. The 700s are awesome, and its easy to find used aftermarket parts for them if your gonna get into the modding. Someone is always upgrading. Your price range will probably be partly what makes your decision. Around here, i wouldn't pay more than 2200 for a nice 660 and nice 700s can be had for a little under 3k, just gotta look patiently!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont mind spending money on aftermarket parts, i buy aftermarket car parts all the time so spending that kind of money doesnt bother me, but i had no idea about those differences on the 2, they are all critical differences, if i were to buy either one i would probably go for the 660, but what this whole thing is really about is between a 350raptor and a 660 raptor, ive also heard alot of people are selling their 660's and getting 350's and just upgrading them because they have more control over it. is this true?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
the 660 to 350 makes no sense to me. When i bought my 660, i didn't even consider a 350, and i sold mine to get a 700 because they are better in almost every aspect. The 660s were good but the 700s are taking over, or have taken over. By more control on a 350, maybe they can't handle the power? Dont make sense to me. I wouldn't touch a 660 unless it was one hell of a deal! But thats just me.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
that would be like selling a dodge viper for a chevette

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes around in my area i see 660's goin for 2-3 and 350's from 2.5-5!! i havent seen many 700's for sale, but then again i havent been looking at them, perhaps i should scrap the 350 idea and just look for a 660 or 700, my only problem with getting one is my size, im not a big person at all. or does somebodys size not have much to do with it? does it mostly come down to self-discipline if you dont have much experience, or does that go for any rider

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
im 5'4" 120lbs and im fine on mine. its hard to keep the front end down sometimes but thats what makes it fun

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
im 5'10 and 160lbs and instantly wanted more outta my 660, and i bought it with a full exhaust, intake, a a few other little things. If you get a 660, i'd count on putting a arms, and an axle on it right away, since they are a bit tippy in stock form.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes ive read the 660 is taller than most sport quads and is tippy more than most others too, thats alright modding is fun, carbs or fuel injected it doesnt matter to me, unless one is better than the other

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
biggest thing is the current aftermarket support for the 700....every day it seems there is something new or better. The 660 on the other hand is not being developed as much anymore. Not saying its completely been given up on, just a lot less. The 700, your possibilities are ENDLESS! Whether you go the turbo route or deep in the motor, either way your options keep going and goin and going! Let some of the bigger member chime in, they'll tell ya whats up haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea ive just been looking, the 700's arent plentiful here and when where they are i see them for 3-4 i even saw one for 2.5. 660's are consistantly cheaper even modded ones, if i were ever to buy a turbo it would be for the car first haha turbo on a quad sounds rediculous ahah

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sounds like the Raptor 660 would suit you fine, I was on the fence about selling my 660 a while ago and even had it on Craigslist, but the market is crap so I decided to keep it and mod it, they are great bikes. Now I am not going to try to say that it is better then the 700 because it's not. But for the prices the 660 is selling for you can put a good amount of money into it and still be under what a 700 would cost.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i just got my 660 last summer.. engine got rebuilt ground up over the winter. now im just touching up the small stuff...
but as for aftermarket... i wish blingstar made more 660 stuff... all the billet is soo sexy ha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts