Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a quad. My friend just picked up a 660 last week and it is sweet. I really like it. Im wondering if it would be a good trail quad though. Its more of a racing quad right? Im looking for something that is both race and trail capable. Is this a good quad over all.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
bgmac said:
Yes :thumbsup:
X2 i asked this question and looked at so many other threads pertaining to this before i got mine and im glad i did....this is the shit!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now is the stock setup good for trails. I know skids would be high on my first mod list. But is it decent stock besides not having good enough skids. Also How well do they do in mudd and such. Thats the only thing im afraid of and thinking maybe a utility with 4x4 would be better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i have an 03 660 great trail quad thats what kind of riding i do majority of the time. I have two sets of tires a set of 22 inch gators and it does alright as long as ground clearence in not a big factor. In other no deep ruts just the soupy stuff. Very hard to keep clean though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
the stock set up should be are great for trails and yes depending on what the terrain is skid plates would be very important to get.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I say it's great in the trails. Plus, the more you ride it, the more comfortable (obviously) you will be and the more you will be able to get out of it. My Rap was my first four wheeler and my first time with a clutch. At first I reversed a lot if I couldn't turn sharp enough on a tight trail. Now, it's a matter of power and body english to whip the back end around to turn as sharp as I need. And once you pipe and jet, that gets even easier.

The one thing I don't like about it is the rev limiter in reverse but there is a thread going on right now on how to bypass it.

The one thing that stops me cold is getting getting hung up on the swing arm skid because the ground clearence under the sprocket and brake rotor isn't that great. If it's just mud though and no deep ruts to high center on, I just sit my butt way back to keep the front end light and hit the gas.

Get a Raptor and I seriously doubt you will be disappointed. I sure haven't regretted it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it like most everything in life has its limits biggest limit, is to know that li

will it do alright ontrails depends on skill of the rider and how tight the trail and whats it made of. I have a 660R, My wife has a 250 Recon, my son a 250 blaster, a buddy a 4x4 rancher, can I run them in the trails, most likely no, in the mud, I'm usually last, open fields can you say gone in 60 seconds..sometimes smaller, lighter is better. sometimes just bring on the beast and let it rip.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I ride on trails with many folks with 4X4 quads and as long as we don't run into mud I will take them every time. I changed sprockets and that helped with climbing. It allows me to basically stay in 2nd and that helps out a bunch, but I think that the rush from riding a raptor blows away the 4X4 anyday.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: it like most everything in life has its limits biggest limit, is to know that li

stroke1 said:
will it do alright ontrails depends on skill of the rider and how tight the trail and whats it made of. I have a 660R, My wife has a 250 Recon, my son a 250 blaster, a buddy a 4x4 rancher, can I run them in the trails, most likely no, in the mud, I'm usually last, open fields can you say gone in 60 seconds..sometimes smaller, lighter is better. sometimes just bring on the beast and let it rip.
you can take the raptor on tight trails but also ride on your expierence level.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have never rode a quad that is this much fun, no matter what i do with it. Way better than alot of the others EX. all the 450s NO REVERSE!! that just sucks. early 400 ex's same problem. Z400 just flat weak on power compared to the raptors. lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
flamed03Raptor said:
I have never rode a quad that is this much fun, no matter what i do with it. Way better than alot of the others EX. all the 450s NO REVERSE!! that just sucks. early 400 ex's same problem. Z400 just flat weak on power compared to the raptors. lol
There's an old saying (I'm probably gonna butcher) that goes: Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So, get a Raptor and prepare to be corrupted!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jeeperabe said:
I want something that is more geared toward trail, but can be raced if i wanted to at some point

if that's what your looking for than dont get a utillaty quad u will
regreat it, try the rpator 660 & 700 or any of the 450's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride on trails with many folks with 4X4 quads and as long as we don't run into mud I will take them every time. I changed sprockets and that helped with climbing. It allows me to basically stay in 2nd and that helps out a bunch, but I think that the rush from riding a raptor blows away the 4X4 anyday.
What sprockets did you go to.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Chwalter, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, this thread was almost 15 years ago... I suspect he's not going to answer.

Start your own new thread and I suspect you'll get quite a few recommendations..

Reactions: Crosbys660
1 - 17 of 17 Posts