Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help, i just rebuilt my 01 660 with a 11:1 wisco piston and put 03 tranny. I put motor back in and at idle after start up it will lock up stall almost like u engage first gear and engine stalls! I spun motor by hand there is no bind and machine fires right back up no problem i find when hot it idles much longer before stall, and when cold it happens maybe every 20 sec or so, when hot maybe minutes. Any suggestions before i take it apart again? There is no abnormal noise when running or scraping noise, and when driven in gear does not stall, will stall with clutch pressed in or disengaged.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mines doing the same thing it sounds like. after mine gets to the point it starts to idle at normal engine RPM's mine just dies

·
Registered
51 Posts
sounds like possible decompression problems

oh and possibly retarded on the timing 1 tooth. Not 100% sure what 1 tooth will do to a raptor but i know on atleast the 450 this can cause exact same symptoms you mentioned.

doubting crank locking up at this point.

id check timing after checking all the simpler things first

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Did you re-jet? Your changes might well need some mixture tweaking, especially in the pilot (idle) circuits... and the fact that it does it more when cold implies that it may be due to being too lean on the pilots - turn your fuel screws out (CCW) a 1/2 turn and see what happens.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
need help, i just rebuilt my 01 660 with a 11:1 wisco piston and put 03 tranny. I put motor back in and at idle after start up it will lock up stall almost like u engage first gear and engine stalls! I spun motor by hand there is no bind and machine fires right back up no problem i find when hot it idles much longer before stall, and when cold it happens maybe every 20 sec or so, when hot maybe minutes. Any suggestions before i take it apart again? There is no abnormal noise when running or scraping noise, and when driven in gear does not stall, will stall with clutch pressed in or disengaged.
i have seen this abrupt stall on idle on lots of Raptors, but the fact you say it happens more with a cloder engine is indicative of a lean pilot circuit.........
Are you using #25 pilots, if not, this is the most common and has the best results..............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have seen this abrupt stall on idle on lots of Raptors, but the fact you say it happens more with a cloder engine is indicative of a lean pilot circuit.........
Are you using #25 pilots, if not, this is the most common and has the best results..............
ya i def have to retune which i havnt, it just stalls like lock up almost like the starter engage again and motor lock and make click noise, it dont seem normal for fuel issue stall does it? what u think

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you re-jet? Your changes might well need some mixture tweaking, especially in the pilot (idle) circuits... and the fact that it does it more when cold implies that it may be due to being too lean on the pilots - turn your fuel screws out (CCW) a 1/2 turn and see what happens.
ya i def have to retune, but motor locks up sounds like starter re engage and
motor locks up to stall, would fuel tune cause that ? it makes a click noise when locks up is that the one way clutch?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
That noise is from the engine turning backwards, breifly, when it stops on the compession stroke (it almost always will)... and it almost always will stop abruptly because of this.

Tune your carbs to improve idle... Start by just raising idle speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That noise is from the engine turning backwards, breifly, when it stops on the compession stroke (it almost always will)... and it almost always will stop abruptly because of this.

Tune your carbs to improve idle... Start by just raising idle speed.
thanks alot for your help man really aprechiate the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a stock carb, what u recommend for my 11:1 piston, k/n, exhauST, ported head with stock vaLvetrain? I'm new to this atv thing I'm a car guy lol can I get away with just adjusting valve screw? My other question is have any of you guys ever put wide band on atv for tuning a/f ratio?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I got a stock carb, what u recommend for my 11:1 piston, k/n, exhauST, ported head with stock vaLvetrain? I'm new to this atv thing I'm a car guy lol can I get away with just adjusting valve screw? My other question is have any of you guys ever put wide band on atv for tuning a/f ratio?
Yes on both questions............

·
Registered
521 Posts
on my 11:1 101mm...cut airbox..full exhaust i run 160/165 mains, 25 pilots, screws 2.5 out

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
That (what Ocelot said) would be a good place to start for you, assuming your airbox is modified - not mentioned is aftermarket needles - you will need them with an open airbox.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh yea... Vito's needles. 3rd clip

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Tx!

·
Registered
112 Posts
maniac, arent those the same recomendations on mains you gave me.

full hmf exhaust
no lid with k&n
with the vitos needles 3rd clip
25 pilots
and 2.5 on the screws

i still havent changed from the 155/160, but if you varify this i will this week when i reconnect that red wire for ya

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Yes, as they're primarily dependent upon the airbox mods...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Vito's for the whole kit. Jets, pilots, needles, fuel screws

1 - 19 of 19 Posts