Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding in the snow the other day, I was going down the street and I was approaching a street I wanted to go down. Pulled the clutch in, down shifted a gear to slow to powerslide the turn. All the sudden the motor just cut out. Lights out, all electronics are out. Motor didnt lock up, it sounded like I just turned the key off. I turn the key on and no headlights, no nothing. I checked the fuse under the seat and that was good. I dont reall no where to start to diagnose and fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can we get a little more info on what does and doesn't work? Is there no power anywhere anymore? Neutral light come on? Solenoid make a click? Motor turns over but doesn't start?

I'd start by checking your ground and power cables off the battery, all the way down to the engine/starter, and make sure they are in good condition and have clean connections. Check and see what your battery voltage is at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean there is zero electronics. No neutral light, no anything. Its as if there is no battery installed right now but there is. Battery is brand new as well. Put it in at the end of summer and only been out once or twice since. Went from running great to just 100% no electric anywhere in a second while riding. Its an 04 660 raptor as well. All exposed connections I can get to without taking any body panels off are all clean and tight. Il have to put a meter on the battery to see what it reads.

·
Registered
435 Posts
start with the battery even if its brand new.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Check battery voltage (and charge if necessary) and battery connections - remove, clean contact surfaces of battery and cables with wire brush, then retighten with a wrench... still have symptoms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I was taking the battery out to throw it on the charger and check voltage, I noticed the positive termal was loose. The nut that tightened the clamp down to the battery came off and I lost power. Put a new one in and everything came back to life. Glad it was an easy fix. Thanks guys

·
Registered
587 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was confused tho because the cable was still on the battery just as if it was tightened down. Still making contact to the terminal but not providing juice untill it was bolted on. O well, glad it was an easy fix.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Very common problem. Glad it was easy.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Vibration works wonders at times.......and sometimes frustrations.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts