Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 2001 660 that will jerk right or left with the terrain. It starts tracking and starts pulling. I also have a 2005 400EX that rides smooth as silk through the same trails. What can I do to fix this problem. It is very tiring riding the 660. Can the problem be caused by the front shocks. I do have a set of yfz450 for the front I was thinking of installing, but If I cant fix the problem I will install them on the 400EX instead. I am just getting beat to hell on the 660.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Suspension made a world of a difference for me. The front end use to be all over the place. I installed good shocks and +2 arms now the front end stays much more planted. The stock fronts are pogo sticks combine that with a short wheel base the the front end spends a lot of time bouncing off of the ground.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Check:
A) Front wheel for play..bearings
B) tie rod ends for play or sloppiness
C) ball joints for play or sloppiness
D) Steering stem bearing at the bottom (unlikely)
E) If the bushings in the a-arms are completely destroyed that too may be a problem.
F) Worse Senerio-a shock has gone bad..

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
It's also very possible that the steering stem or pitman arm has been tweaked and is causing your handlebar inputs to have an unnatural impact on the orientation and direction of the steering system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No wheel spacers, and the wheels have not been flipped. The front end is pretty tight. The lower nut on the stem was a little loose but I adjusted that before rideing. The wheels due not move or wobble. But I do have a shock that looks like it is leaking oil. could that be the problem. Would a steering stabilizer fix this problem?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Without riding it it's hard to say if yours felt like mine did...

One other thing to check (you probably have) is air pressure in your tires. It is possible that you could have a blown shock. Have you had the Raptor since new or was it bought used? Perhaps it's been wrecked and something could be tweaked a little? Just throwing out suggestions here.

·
Registered
735 Posts
it doesnt take much of a bend on any componant to make it pull. The fact that it jerks tells me that both wheels may be fighting eachother in alignment. Also, are your wheels bent,prop the front end up and give em a spin. If they are bent or woble at all, then your alignment will be off esp if you just readjusted it. Mine jerked when I had it toed to far in or out. If it were just a bent part, it should pull all the time. Remember to do all measurements on a level surface and with proper tools helps, and keep in mind that they should be done with rider weight on the bike...you really need two people. Good luck man

·
Registered
211 Posts
coming from an old geezer here but are you running an extended axle with stock width a-arms ?this would definetly give you tracking problems on the trail,CURE get some longer a-arms need to be same width up front as you are in the back :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I did notice a very very small play in the wheel bearings. The wheels are not bent and neither is any of the suspention or steering stuff. I went ahead a purchased some new bearings to install. I also bought some +2 arms and will be installing them with my 05 YFZ shocks. I will double ceck everything before I put it back together. I will have time tommorrow to put it back together. I will keep you guys posted. I have to figure it out. I hate riding it the way it is. My 400EX rides so much better, but NO power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.