Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding yesterday and this all seemed to start just at once. I was riding some dirt roads and was ripping up an uphill section spinning on the dirt then I went to shift to 4th and got back on the throttle a little soon before letting the clutch back out and it jerked forward and took off again when I let the clutch out. About 500ft later after throwing it sideways around a turn a slight squeaking sound started. I stopped a little further up to check it out. I assumed it was something in my front end. I limped it back home, the squeaking sound getting a little louder on the way home and not quite constant. I found it to be coming from the rear of the quad, so I took the pads off the rear rotor thinking it could be them. Nope. Then I tightened my chain figuring maybe it was rubbing something. Still not it. I did notice the adjustment bolts were a little harder to turn then normal. Took it out and now its a terribly loud screeching duck call constant sound. I'm thinking maybe it could be the carrier?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was out riding yesterday and this all seemed to start just at once. I was riding some dirt roads and was ripping up an uphill section spinning on the dirt then I went to shift to 4th and got back on the throttle a little soon before letting the clutch back out and it jerked forward and took off again when I let the clutch out. About 500ft later after throwing it sideways around a turn a slight squeaking sound started. I stopped a little further up to check it out. I assumed it was something in my front end. I limped it back home, the squeaking sound getting a little louder on the way home and not quite constant. I found it to be coming from the rear of the quad, so I took the pads off the rear rotor thinking it could be them. Nope. Then I tightened my chain figuring maybe it was rubbing something. Still not it. I did notice the adjustment bolts were a little harder to turn then normal. Took it out and now its a terribly loud screeching duck call constant sound. I'm thinking maybe it could be the carrier?
Possible rear axle bearings.............

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lifted the back end of the bike up already. Thats how I knew it was coming from the rear and figured to check to the brake and chain. I figure its the bearings. I found a rear axle carrier with bearings and seals already installed for $150 or can I just buy the bearings themselves? My brake hub and chain sprocket hub also have a little bit of forward to backward play on the axle and maybe a little side to side

·
Registered
521 Posts
i have SKF bearings for my axle..better than the chinese bearings in kits.ill get the size tomorrow if needed

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I lifted the back end of the bike up already. Thats how I knew it was coming from the rear and figured to check to the brake and chain. I figure its the bearings. I found a rear axle carrier with bearings and seals already installed for $150 or can I just buy the bearings themselves? My brake hub and chain sprocket hub also have a little bit of forward to backward play on the axle and maybe a little side to side
Just change the bearings............

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I don't need the whole carrier? Just the bearings being worn out will cause that amount of play? And also, can I add a grease fitting into the stock carrier? Sorry, so many questions.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I don't need the whole carrier? Just the bearings being worn out will cause that amount of play? And also, can I add a grease fitting into the stock carrier? Sorry, so many questions.
You just need the bearings, worn bearings can cause all kinds of play, just make sure you check the spacer between the bearings, it must be good or you will damage the new bearings, this spacer must not have changed in length..............

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright. Thanks Willy

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hay Blue250, your not far from me, if ya need help just ask..
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just bought some Pivot Works bearings and a new drilled rear brake rotor and some pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts