Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there i have a 2001 raptor 660 i just boght the other day used and it seems to be really boggy through out the whole throttle,starts,idles and drive fine but just no power at all an cannot get it into 5th wer is too powerless,its all stock expet kn air filter has air box cover on it,new crb rebuild kit in it have the settings on both carbs atabout 4 and half were it is the only way it is drivable of some sort has stock jetting,adjsted the valves,pb switch is unhooked ad reverse is grounded,has 180 psi
any advice is greatly apprecaed thanks guys

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Your probably gonna have to pull the carbs off and clean the crap out of them. Make sure all your jets are open so you can see a solid circle of light through them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the plug is black carboned but did have a other plug in it wen it was at a lil more than 5 turns out on both and still ran boggy throughout the throttle but plug was a brown is color......the carbs have been takin out and been cleand about 10 times or more and brand new rebuild kit for the carbs,floats are sitting at what the book calls for as well, thanks for the reply guys :) hopefully can get it fixed soon were is starting to get nice weather here and wanna get some riding in.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Wow five turns out is alot dude. Your sure the pilot jets are clean. Does it run any better with the choke on? If its worse then try running your screws in a ways. It sounds like its running pretty rich if the plug was black.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh man ive tryd with choke and runs worse wont even stay running spit and sputter,theyr brand new jets guts in the inside of the carb ive also cleaned it like 10 or so times as i thought was dirt getting in somehow after cleaning it,
ive tryed the settings at like 2 1/2 as i seen on this forum everyone sayin to set it at around that then work out but ive tryed the 2/12 and up and only seems to run the best at about 5 turns or so for some reason burns the eyes wenever have started for awhile as well

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
That means its running rich when it burns your eyes. Can you run your idle screw ina little bit and run your mixture screws ina ways and get it to run?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh it will run with the mix screws are turned in but is still really boggy and for some reason seems to come out of the bog and have more power wen turned out to about 5 turns or so for some reason,what setting do you suggest i should try like .5 turn out on both and turn about .5 turn out each time things got me stumped..thanks again for the help guys

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Did you put the 25 pilot jets in it? How did it do with the 22.5 jets? It seems to me that if its running that rich you need smaller pilot jets. Im kinda stumped dude. It dont make sence that we know its running rich with the black plug, it burning your eyes, and the choke killing it. But it runs better with the fuel screws out that far. It should run better with the fuel screws run in tighter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeh i did happen to notice that the airbox lid has two nice size holes drilled on top of the lid would that have anything to do with it?and yeh i have tryed the 25 in er as well didnt make much of a difference with it as well with the 22.5 jets,ima try and mess with it this weekend and see if i can turn them in some and work out from about .5 turn and see if itll make any difference again.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
If your lid has holes in it then maybe you should use the 25 pilots and run your screws in a ways and see if you can get it to idle good. After that your needles will come into play from 1/4 to 3/4 and maybe your rich there. Those needles from vitos will run richer than the stock ones so maybe start at the second clip so its not getting so much fuel. Good luck. =)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Yup no problem dude. Just hope i can help. =)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went to go start up the bike the other day after i had takin it apart to check the valves and while i had it apart i had cleaned the valves seated them back in place and put back together wen was puting back togethor the timing chain had fell down and had to pull the wheel off to get at the timing chain to put back on allighned the dot on the lil cog that the chain sits on with the lil arrow on the case then put back togetor and timed it with the cam now wont start it seems like it wants to start will start for a second most time will back fire out of the carb

·
Registered
174 Posts
what clip are your needles set at?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
went to go start up the bike the other day after i had takin it apart to check the valves and while i had it apart i had cleaned the valves seated them back in place and put back together wen was puting back togethor the timing chain had fell down and had to pull the wheel off to get at the timing chain to put back on allighned the dot on the lil cog that the chain sits on with the lil arrow on the case then put back togetor and timed it with the cam now wont start it seems like it wants to start will start for a second most time will back fire out of the carb
Verify the cam to crank timing using all the timing marks..........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Make sure to align both the cam marks AND the crankshaft mark.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts