Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2004 LE 660 that I bought over a year ago. I put a Stage 2 Hotcam and Wisco Piston in it, ever since it seems like it will only start if its on the compression stroke. and even then its iffy. I have heard people say that when installing a bigger piston that they would change to a larger decompression pin. or bigger battery or larger starter wire. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Smite

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am kind of having the same prob with my 04...I installed an Stage 1 Hotcam this winter and every now and then it acts like there is too much compression for the starter to turn the engine. I have the stock piston, new starter relay, adjusted the valve lash 3 times, and a 1 yr old battery. I thought maybe the cam just needed some more time for break in since it only has 2 or 3 hours on it and it seems to be getting better with time. I did a second oil change after the cam was installed and that also seemed to help.

Has anyone else ran into a similar prob?

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
It's a common problem with not always the same solution... Many add cams and even remove their decomp and have little trouble. Some add cams, leave the decomp and have continuous problems.

I suspect it's some combination of issues including some or all of: added compression, a less then optimum battery, battery cable degradation, starter solenoid contact resistance, starter motor not performing to full capability, decomp pin worn or too short, etc...

It becomes a test and eliminate series of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cool thanks...This cam did reuse the decomp from the stock cam. I think I'll replace the battery cables first since my relay is brand new and my battery is only a year old...Should I stick with the same gauge or go thicker?

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
If you're going to the trouble to change cables, go to the largest you can get away with - every little bit counts - and minimizing the resistance in the cables is one of those little bits.

A year old battery can be toast, depending upon how it's been treated over the year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds good...Am I correct that the finer the copper braids are in the cable the lower the resistance it will have. The first battery I bought from the dealer did go bad on me after a few months. They replaced it and sold me the battery tender that they recommend. I filled the new battery and put it on the tender for 24 hours before I installed it and after last season I kept the tender plugged in all winter. It has one of those quick connectors that stays on the battery.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Another thought would it help if I adjusted the valves to a tighter tolerance. I used the specs from hotcam but if I'm not mistaken they call for a larger valve lash than the factory service manual.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm running a stage 3 hot cam W/ 11:1 wiseco piston (amongst other things:))I have no decomp & have very little to no starting trouble.I am however running a Grizzly battery, bigger cables & a highly modified motor..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm running a stage 3 hot cam W/ 11:1 wiseco piston (amongst other things:))I have no decomp & have very little to no starting trouble.I am however running a Grizzly battery, bigger cables & a highly modified motor..
What do you mean by highly modified........:D
We still on for breaky at 3am.............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2004 LE 660 that I bought over a year ago. I put a Stage 2 Hotcam and Wisco Piston in it, ever since it seems like it will only start if its on the compression stroke. and even then its iffy. I have heard people say that when installing a bigger piston that they would change to a larger decompression pin. or bigger battery or larger starter wire. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Smite
You can do all the things you mentioned and it should turn over.........

·
Registered
298 Posts
What gauge cables are you using and where did you get them? Also are you talking about a battery for a Yamaha Grizzly or is that a brand name?

Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
What gauge cables are you using and where did you get them? Also are you talking about a battery for a Yamaha Grizzly or is that a brand name?

Thanks
I use about a 4 guage wire...............

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Am I correct that the finer the copper braids are in the cable the lower the resistance it will have.
By just a tiny amount - they pack tighter so there's a bit more copper, less air... actually, for the same size, solid has least resistance (for the same reason - NO air), but you don't want to use solid in this application - it will fatigue from vibration.

Just get decent large gauge wires, don't worry about the individual strand size as it makes very little difference.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Thanks
The battery I use is for a Yamaha Grizzly.It just fits & I mean just..

·
Registered
298 Posts
What do you guys think about the valve lash should I go with factory service or the specs from Hotcam?

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
They're close to each other - either would work, neither would cause your problems.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They're close to each other - either would work, neither would cause your problems.
Thanks...I'll def get some bigger cables and if that doesn't help Ill try squeezing a higher amp battery in there. Hopefully things will loosen up after it gets some more hours on the new cam.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts