Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post.

I’ve managed to strip the splines of the output shaft of my 05 660R, therefore I need to remove the gearbox/transmission to split and replace the shaft. Am I correct in thinking that I can’t just remove the gearbox and will have to pull the entire engine out of the frame and split it on a bench? I haven’t done this before but determined to get it done myself.

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You are correct, the cases will need to be split. Friendly tip: i find it easier to remove the head, clyinder, starter, flywheel, and clutch, then loosen primary drive gear and counterbalancer gear before actually taking it out of the frame. Much easier to wrestle around that way as its rather heavy all together

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Your output shaft is toast anyway... why not just weld a sprocket to it? What can you hurt that wouldn't require exactly what you're currently planning on doing? Might be able to put it off for many years?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your output shaft is toast anyway... why not just weld a sprocket to it? What can you hurt that wouldn't require exactly what you're currently planning on doing? Might be able to put it off for many years?

I did think of this also, but I’m a little wet behind the ears mechanically so was trying to give myself a good challenge. But if I can avoid an entire breakdown by just welding then I’d prefer to do that since I’m far better at welding than stripping gearboxes.

Do you think a weld would hold the torsion that the shaft puts on the sprocket?

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
A good weld is exactly as strong as the steel it bonds. In the future, if necessary, you can cut it off.

Weld in short beads with cool-off periods to avoid overheating the seal and o-ring just inside the case.

BUT, even in a worst case scenario - if the weld doesn't work - you're in no worse shape than you are in right now... case break time.

Reactions: Nixon cole

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's going to be difficult to get a steel sprocket welded to a hardened steel shaft, and hold up to the stress from driving the chain/wheels.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts