Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this 660 is having some issue with the trans, me thinks. It'll go in 1st and it will want to move (I haven't take it out of the garage) but, I can't seem to get it into Reverse and when I put it in N I hear a loud clacking sound coming from the engine somewhere. And while that noise is happening, the countershaft sprocket kinda twitches like it wants to start turning. Is this gonna be an engine split? I've only done one engine split. I rebuilt a Honda 500 Foreman engine last year. That was kinda fun. I guess I can do this one too.

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
You're going to have to take it out of the garage and try to RIDE before passing judgement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I pushed it out of the garage and fired it up. It was in N. It ran for about 3 seconds, with the clacking sound, and died. Now it seems like it's stuck in gear and I can't get N or any gear. Gotta be something in the trans, huh? I had to jack it up with a floor jack and push it back into the garage. Doh!

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
Ought to be able to push it by pulling on the clutch lever... no?

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
Well, that suggests either a seized output shaft or seized axle shaft... I'd pull the chain to determine which.

Reactions: HeWasRidinDirty

·
Registered
30 Posts
This may sound silly but have you made sure that the Forward/Reverse lever is all the way in the forward position. On my 350 if I don't have it all the way it will make the clacking sound and not move anywhere. When I put it in Forward I have to release the clutch and let it engage before I can move the Forward/Reverse lever all the way to the Forward position. Hope this helps.

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
Good call Gilly - make sure the spring is properly returning the reverse lever, left rear lower side of the case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good call Gilly - make sure the spring is properly returning the reverse lever, left rear lower side of the case.
Well, I finally tackled the 660 trans problem. Definitely something inside the trans. I got the motor out an up on the bench and I'm having some real trouble getting the primary drive nut and the balance gear nuts loose. From the service manual it says to stick a pc of aluminum into the gears to hold while you loosen the nuts. From the illustration where they show the aluminum pc being put, it would mean that the nuts are L.H threads. Anyone
I don't see anything in the manual to suggest that other than the illustration. Helllllllppppp. /forums/images/RaptorForum_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png

These pcs of metal debris came out of the R side about where the shift shaft goes in. Something is definitely broken in there!

20191009_161503_1570663334714.jpg

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Regular threads. Lefty loosie, righty tightie. You can use a nickel to wedge the gears. Impact makes it easy if you have one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
Yep, righty tighty,,,,,, Oh, never mind. Depending on the picture it will show holding the gears to loosen one direction, and/or holding to tighten the opposite direction. Always use something softer then the gears, such as aluminum, or I like to use a penny. Be careful of using nickels as they aren't as soft and cost more then a penny....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Yep, righty tighty,,,,,, Oh, never mind. Depending on the picture it will show holding the gears to loosen one direction, and/or holding to tighten the opposite direction. Always use something softer then the gears, such as aluminum, or I like to use a penny. Be careful of using nickels as they aren't as soft and cost more then a penny....
Lmao! 4 cent savings! I swear, we must be related somehow...

Reactions: DEZPERADO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, LOL you are correct! I thought about that at about 3 am this morning. Depends on which nut I'm looking at in the diagram. Doh! I also thought about getting a 1/2" impact gun. Might have to do that today. :laugh

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
That doesn't look good. You'll have to check ALL the bearings as they may be trashed. Be careful with a impact, sometimes it can do more damage then good.

·
Master of the Electron
14,828 Posts
Lmao! 4 cent savings! I swear, we must be related somehow...

Hell, I save even more by using a shop rag!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks guys. So I got it apart. 2nd gear is trashed. Looking at a parts fiche these 2 gears have 18 and 30 teeth. The ones that I took out have 19 and 29. I'm confused. 20191010_140511_1570742906361.jpg
And one of the bearings in the crankcase is bad. The rest including the piston and rings, cylinder and valves look excellent. My buddy has the cylinder to measure and see if it's good enough for a hone job and some newrings. Crossing fingers.

So, it seems that I have the dreaded 2001 transmission. I figured that I better verify that engine itself isn't also an 01 before I order anything. Dealer said that an 01 engine # will be 0000002 and on 05 will be 0068737. Well guess what? My engine # is 029808. Anyone know an easy look up for the engine year?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'm supposed to get my trans parts today. So, my question is do the gears have to be pressed off/on? I kinda looked them over and I don't see how they come apart. Thanks
No press. They use circlips and snap rings...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts