Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Raptor 660

Votes: 23 79.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know I have already asked this in the chatbox, but I wanted to get EVERY OPINION POSSIBLE. I have a 2003 yamaha raptor 660. After I bought it, I noticed that there was an exhaust leak, which is an easy fix, the reverse sensor is acting up, and the carbs needed to be torn down and cleaned. On top of that, my fiance' HATES it. She says she will never drive, nor ride it. I don't like that, as I sold a 250ex to buy this, because I thought she would like a bigger machine. I found a guy who is willing to trade me a 2003 honda 400ex. He says it only needs rear brakes. I am so torn, what do I do? Where I ride, the raptor really is too much. I ride on dirt roads, and in the woods, no room to open it up. That being said, the 660 is a faster machine, and I like that. 660 is liquid cooled, 400 is air… But I have heard that a 400 with a big bore kit will stomp a 660 (just what ive heard) I dont know what to do, so lets have a poll. I am about 1400 into the machine as it sits… if that matters...

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
you want torque and speed keep the 660 if you want controllable reliability get the 400

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
400ex is a very reliable machine. And very torquey. Those will also wheelie all day long. However, you should know the saying... "hondas are like tampons; every pussy has one"-some member on here. :lol:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
They are both good machines. Your wife would be more comfortable on the smaller honda most likely. All the fixes that the machines need are easy. I dont see a 400 honda beating a 660 raptor unless you spent alot of money. If you put the same money into the raptor the smaller honda wouldnt stand a chance. I guess its up to what you want. You mention you dont need all the power the raptor has. If your comfortable on the honda i think i would go with that and atleast keep the peace with the wife. All that said i just cant vote for a honda. Im voting raptor. =)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The reverse sensor issue can be resolved by grounding out a wire. The carbs on any machine will eventually need to be cleaned. The only issue with reliability I see with the 660 is the one-way assembly and the 01 transmissions. You're going to need to maintain a 400ex just as you would a raptor 660 with regular oil changes, lubrication of chassis components, bearings, and wear items like chains, sprockets and tires.

You can't tell me the problem with the 660 is that it has too much power and there's nowhere to open it up and then tell me that you heard a 400ex with a big bore kit will wax a 660. Either the one you have now is too powerful or something else is the problem. Btw, a 660 with bolt ons will beat most of your "big bore" 440ex's which usually have nothing but a small compression bump, a larger piston, and a mild camshaft. You can make a 400ex faster than a 660, but only by putting significantly more money into the 400 than it would take to make the same hp on the 660. Most of these points were already touched upon.

The 660 raptor was designed to be the same size as the 400ex, and it is quite close in every way except the one that matters most, it's high center of gravity. The wheelbase, width, and other proportions are very similar. The 400ex is easier to control due in part to it's superior suspension geometry and the lower hp it outputs.

The 400ex is an excellent quad. Obviously most of us prefer the 660 but if your fiance "HATES" it then there's likely little you're going to be able to do to make the 660 into what she wants. I wouldn't fault you for buying the 400ex just don't expect it to be flawless.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I voted 400 ex. I know for my gf a raptor is simply too big for her. Yes mine is built but they are much too heavy for an occasional rider than a 400ex. My gf has a 400 ex that is very fun for her. IMO the 400ex has good durability and will keep up with a 660 fairly well on most trails. If the rider is merely occasional they will be able to keep up much better on a 400ex than a 660 simply because of the weight/handling differences. In the future you may be able to sell the 400ex for more also. Around here the 400's sell for as much or more than raptors of similar year.

Don't make her hate you and the sport... get what makes her happy. Otherwise pretty soon you will be getting rid of both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reverse sensor issue can be resolved by grounding out a wire. The carbs on any machine will eventually need to be cleaned. The only issue with reliability I see with the 660 is the one-way assembly and the 01 transmissions. You're going to need to maintain a 400ex just as you would a raptor 660 with regular oil changes, lubrication of chassis components, bearings, and wear items like chains, sprockets and tires.

You can't tell me the problem with the 660 is that it has too much power and there's nowhere to open it up and then tell me that you heard a 400ex with a big bore kit will wax a 660. Either the one you have now is too powerful or something else is the problem. Btw, a 660 with bolt ons will beat most of your "big bore" 440ex's which usually have nothing but a small compression bump, a larger piston, and a mild camshaft. You can make a 400ex faster than a 660, but only by putting significantly more money into the 400 than it would take to make the same hp on the 660. Most of these points were already touched upon.

The 660 raptor was designed to be the same size as the 400ex, and it is quite close in every way except the one that matters most, it's high center of gravity. The wheelbase, width, and other proportions are very similar. The 400ex is easier to control due in part to it's superior suspension geometry and the lower hp it outputs.

The 400ex is an excellent quad. Obviously most of us prefer the 660 but if your fiance "HATES" it then there's likely little you're going to be able to do to make the 660 into what she wants. I wouldn't fault you for buying the 400ex just don't expect it to be flawless.
Lol was just saying something someone told me man no need to jump on me. I really just dont feel right riding the 660. The clutch seems stiffer than most other quads ive ridden, its loud as hell, it is really way to fast for what I do, and I really dont want to fuck with a dual carb set up. Idk, I would rather the 660 mainly because of reverse, but like I said shell never ride it. How do I fix that sensor exactly? And wont grounding it eliminate the rev limiter completely?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I voted 400 ex. I know for my gf a raptor is simply too big for her. Yes mine is built but they are much too heavy for an occasional rider than a 400ex. My gf has a 400 ex that is very fun for her. IMO the 400ex has good durability and will keep up with a 660 fairly well on most trails. If the rider is merely occasional they will be able to keep up much better on a 400ex than a 660 simply because of the weight/handling differences. In the future you may be able to sell the 400ex for more also. Around here the 400's sell for as much or more than raptors of similar year.

Don't make her hate you and the sport... get what makes her happy. Otherwise pretty soon you will be getting rid of both.
Max, I think you misunderstand what he is saying though, this isn't a bike that he is buying for his wife and he keeps the 660. He is planning on trading the 660 for the 400ex if it happens, so he will still only have one bike. So there won't be "getting rid of both," lol. On the other hand, it's time away from the wife...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idk im so torn between the two. I like the raptor, but it has its quirks ya know? idk decisions decisions lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I have both, love both. If it's for her and she won't ride the 660, go for it. The 400ex is incredibly reliable... just one thing - no reverse in 03!

My G/F loves the 400's but, somehow is afraid of the 660 - really doesn't make sense, but she won't ride it... so I understand completely.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Max, I think you misunderstand what he is saying though, this isn't a bike that he is buying for his wife and he keeps the 660. He is planning on trading the 660 for the 400ex if it happens, so he will still only have one bike. So there won't be "getting rid of both," lol. On the other hand, it's time away from the wife...
Lol. I can stand being corrected. My brain wasn't exactly operating properly yesterday. When I wrote that I had just finished 54 pages of report in 8 hours. I know many people that had 400ex's that kept up fairly well on the trails still. I guess I'd have to ride one stock for stock in order to decide for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Lol. I can stand being corrected. My brain wasn't exactly operating properly yesterday. When I wrote that I had just finished 54 pages of report in 8 hours. I know many people that had 400ex's that kept up fairly well on the trails still. I guess I'd have to ride one stock for stock in order to decide for sure.
I'll give ya a break then lol. I've never ridden a 400ex myself either, so I don't know how they are personally. Like to see a pic of the ex side by side with the 660 so we could make a visual comparison as well.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Here ya go. Ex feels a bit smaller, but also a bit easier to throw around. The 400 is somewhat slower, although with open airbox and full exhaust (jetted accordingly) it has tons of power. I prefer the 660 for it's raw torque... the 400 is a fun machine to play around on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Couple good looking machines right there QM.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok guys, I know I have already asked this in the chatbox, but I wanted to get EVERY OPINION POSSIBLE. I have a 2003 yamaha raptor 660. After I bought it, I noticed that there was an exhaust leak, which is an easy fix, the reverse sensor is acting up, and the carbs needed to be torn down and cleaned. On top of that, my fiance' HATES it. She says she will never drive, nor ride it. I don't like that, as I sold a 250ex to buy this, because I thought she would like a bigger machine. I found a guy who is willing to trade me a 2003 honda 400ex. He says it only needs rear brakes. I am so torn, what do I do? Where I ride, the raptor really is too much. I ride on dirt roads, and in the woods, no room to open it up. That being said, the 660 is a faster machine, and I like that. 660 is liquid cooled, 400 is air… But I have heard that a 400 with a big bore kit will stomp a 660 (just what ive heard) I dont know what to do, so lets have a poll. I am about 1400 into the machine as it sits… if that matters...
This must be a joke...........:D
The Raptor will tow the 400 faster then it can go............The 400 is a more tame managable atv, whereas the Raptor is all out power and torque.......

·
Registered
622 Posts
Screw a 400 ex get a ltz or ltz 400 a much better quad

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
This must be a joke...........:D
The Raptor will tow the 400 faster then it can go............The 400 is a more tame managable atv, whereas the Raptor is all out power and torque.......
All out power & torque with 3 plugs .....:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Doesn't matter at this point, the poll is irrelevent, he sold the 660 yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Well I guess that PM I replied to from him was a waste then.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
off topic but my buddy rides a 400 bored to a 440 with LTE duals and a stage 2 cam probably some other stuff and it will not touch my bike in a straight line. his bike does handle better than mine though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts