-stage 2 hot cams
-wiseco 11:1
-fmf full exhaust
-removed lid
-12 front 44 rear gearing

My friend has a new raptor 700 with
-fuel controller
-hmf pipe

Off the line shooting up sand mountain i take him pretty good but then about midway up hes about 2 bike lengths behind and just pulling me and by the top of sand mountain hes maybe a bike ahead of me. Are the 700s just that much faster or is my exhaust a bottleneck his hmf is quite a bit bigger in diameter than mine. I also must add im running a 160 jet and use pump gas 91 octane and im at 5200 feet, i may go with 95 octane however my bike runs fine with 91 ie no knock etc. should i mess with my gearing any? Im just kinda frustrated after putting all that money into my bike, wanting to get a 700 now or a 450

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I would think with your mods they should be close. I think you are geared to low for the power and the torque the raptors have, you can pull alot higher gear without much loss down low and gain alot where he is catching and passing you. The 700 really shines in 3rd and 4th gear and tends to be the place they take over a race if they are going to win. A 450 isnt going to solve the problem, I have no problem out running my buddies equally modded 450. Alot of us on the 700's have went up to a 15 tooth front simply because with mods and stock gearing you couldnt put all the power to the ground. Going up a tooth actually improved my take off and gave me more top end. Maybe you can find a little help in there some where lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Stock is 13/40

With the 12/44 you must be shifting all the time. I'm running a 13/42 with the stock cam and piston still.

Cheap experiment would be getting a 14 for the front.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dont know if this will help, i have a 700 and a 660, fiance got the 660 of course... lol i ride the 700, i went to the lte duals, pro flow air, jet kit and 1 down in the front sproket. We first took it to sand mountain and she would get me out of the hole but like everyone said i would reel the 660 in and by the top be ahead. my 700 at the time only had a gytr pipe. no other mods and both have same style paddles. then i later went to the 690 kit ,je piston,cam, ltl head work.... 700 went to the lte duals, fuel controller, air kit, sproket change...... same result 700 out of box is just faster and takes less to keep up with the 660, but 660 is still a great bike and not all bikes run the same and riders are a diffrence too.. just my .02 :grin_nod:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 02 with almost the same mods as you except I am running a white bros full system.
I run 12 / 40 you are running your gears to low, you have a torque monster but with no staying power.
I would change your front back to 13 or your rear to 40, of course your front would be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I agree with "FirstRaptor". Put a 14 on, leave the 44(for now). I think you'll like it!
(IF your chains not long enough go back to a 13-40 almost same ratio as 14-44.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts