Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Raptor 660 and I was just wondering if there is a big difference in the 700 and 660. I like the new looks and was thinking about getting a 700, but I'm not sure if I want to trade my 660 for a 700. Does anyone know if it would be worth it?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I cant say much other than it`s a 686 not 700 just like the 660 is not a 660 its a 658/659 i forgot.
There are some 660 and 700 owners who post here who own both and should help you out better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fuel injection.....big difference. The 700 is also a 4 valve and I've heard it is a hell of a lot faster than the 660. Suspension is also much better on the 700 especially if you get the SE with the piggyback rezzie shocks on it. The overally height is also lower on the 700 which got rid of the "tippy" feeling on the 660 and vastly improved handling. The 700 is far superior to the 660 in many ways stock vs stock, no question about it, I'm already trying to sell my 660 for the new SE.

·
Registered
735 Posts
iver rode the 700, not impressed. If your 660 is stock, ok, id sell and get the other, but mine is wider, lower, and has a suspension yfz owners would be jealous of. power wise they are pretty close at stock....with same mods, again pretty close. the big diff is the gearing is differnt, you can get pretty close, if not better by changing sprockets (i was playing with the gearing calulator)...the power of a 700 is very smooth and linear, the 660 is more adrupt, has a curve....hits hard right off the bat, gets stronger from there, then falls of at the top.... just try and decide, you cant go wrong either way...they are yamahas!

·
Registered
912 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I own both machines. I can tell you that my stock 700r was faster than my piped 660. The 700 rides 10x better than the 660 and the throttle response is unreal. Just to clear up what akawilliam said, the 660 really is a true 660cc motor while the 700r is a 686. I haven't had problems beating any quads I've run against. One just happens to be a '04 trx450 with p/p, high-compression piston and sparks exhuast. Kinda contradicting myself, I have caught hell outrunning a '05 yfz 450 thats been p/p, bored from a 439 to a 450 with a sparks pipe and different gearing. I think its just the fact that he's a better rider because he keeps telling me my 700r will give any other 4-stroke hell. I know my 700 can beat him as soon as I learn how to take off in the street without lifting the front wheels. All in all, I think you will make the right decesion if you trade your 660 in for a 700. 8)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
It doesn't matter in the least, but if you check the 660 you'll see it's stamped "659.x", can't remember the decimal but I think there is one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I traded in my 660 for a 700 se. I like the 700 alot better. I dont really like the smooth running sound and the throttle does feel different. Some LTEs should correct this problem though. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts