Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just got an 06 700. He hasn't really got it broke in yet, so he won't race me. What's it going to take to make a basically stock 03 660 keep up with this thing? I'm hoping inexperience on his part will make up for my lack of h.p.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
VS a bone stock 700R you'll need good gearing, a pipe, filter kit, no airbox lid, and good jetting.

Once he does his "3 mods" (pipe, filter w/ no lid, ecu) you'll probably have to cam it to keep close, a piston also to make it a race and take a few wins.

This is just from my experience with the 660 vs all the other 4 strokes. There aren't a whole lot of 700R's around here yet so direct comparisons are difficult for me. My friend's 700 is still stock and it's quick but it's no match for his 01 660 with a handful of internal mods. I've never seen a 700R with more than the 3 mods so I can't say what happens when he starts to tinker in the engine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maddog56 said:
VS a bone stock 700R you'll need good gearing, a pipe, filter kit, no airbox lid, and good jetting.

Once he does his "3 mods" (pipe, filter w/ no lid, ecu) you'll probably have to cam it to keep close, a piston also to make it a race and take a few wins.
My friend picked up a 700SE 1 week after I got my 660. We raced after his was broke in and it was ugly he put 3 lengths on me and I just let off :'(. Next day ordered my exhaust,intake, and jet kit and got intouch with a good shop. After that I could toy with him(3-5 lengths with my 14tooth sprocket on). He ordered after that his "3 mods" which consisted of LTE's, pro flow, and PCIII, and 15tooth front, and now from the holeshot were dead even until 4th where he jumps about maybe a bike length and holds it until we top out. (We both side by side ran 86mph)
We both have raced MX and XC since we were 6years old, I'm 18 now.

Listen to Maddog56, he knows his stuff use your search button or ask about it on here these guys can cut the many options of exhasut etc down to the select few. Every mod purchased was because of thsi site and havent been let down yet. Every race with my buddys 700 was with the 14tooth front with teh 12 tooth I think I'd kill him until I topped. After the big bore kit adn things going on he's done for....

Its alot of rider skill, if he's afraid of the front end coming up you got him. If he can ride......mod quickly!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Im running 11.5:1 piston, no cam but good porting, full exhaust FMF, and jetted correctly, and can whup 700's with the 3 mods. geared up to 14 tooth with these mods and I still pull really strong. I have widened it too... currently 2 inches wider than a 700. Quicker off the line and I never stop pulling. Topped at 88.2 mph per gps. But skill is still the determining factor when these bikes are so close. Put them in the woods and it become closer...torque takes over and stock gearing may be more suited for your needs. I wouldnt trade mine for a 700 now, but if it were stock i would have considdered it. they are both good bikes (yamahas!), so I wont knock either. Im a die hard 660 guy though.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I own both with the three basic mods. All I can say is 700>660 any day of the week. The race can be on dirt,sand or road and the 700 wins EVERYTIME. I'm not sure how the outcome will be if I put a high-comp piston in the 660 along with the other usual mods. Its pretty safe to say that mod for mod the 700 outruns the 660 and all the 450's. 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't let this guy outrun me, I'll never hear the end of it. A 14 tooth front sprocket will give it more top end, but is it good for trail riding? I haven't re-jetted after the white bros. pipe, how much will I have to go after the K&n and air box mods?

·
Registered
350 Posts
intimidator said:
I can't let this guy outrun me, I'll never hear the end of it. A 14 tooth front sprocket will give it more top end, but is it good for trail riding? I haven't re-jetted after the white bros. pipe, how much will I have to go after the K&n and air box mods?

idk much about the white brothers pipe....but if its a full system u need to get it jetted properly.

A 14tooth is fine for the trails, thats all I do with mine. We dont have dunes where I'm from, if you really wanna jump out on him run a 12 tooth front you should have a better holeshot if you can launch in 2nd correctly.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 700 is geared differtn from stock, and runs good with a 15tooth and the 3 mods. gearing the 660 with a 14 puts the gearing pretty close with the 660 coming out in the fisrt few gears ahead and the 700 gets a few more mph potentially (per a gearing caculator) on the 5th gear. The 700 is more forgiving in the first few gears, making it easier to drag race it too. The state of engine tune is where the diff is made. If I want to be the fastest among quads, Id buy a dirt bike.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
CAROLINA_700R said:
I own both with the three basic mods. All I can say is 700>660 any day of the week. The race can be on dirt,sand or road and the 700 wins EVERYTIME. I'm not sure how the outcome will be if I put a high-comp piston in the 660 along with the other usual mods. Its pretty safe to say that mod for mod the 700 outruns the 660 and all the 450's. 8)
Im in the same position, have the three mods on both the 660 and the 700 and the 700 wins every single time but at least 1-2 lenghts, maybe more. So even for even the 700 will win but if your a better rider or he doesnt know to speedshift the 700 (since the 700 has been proven to race best if you speed shift and dont use the last bit of your rpms) then you can pull him.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
if you guys get caught up in an "arms race", whoever spends the most money will win :lol:

the first one of you to get really serious and go inside the motor will always beat the guy who only has bolt on power improvers.

there is alot of knowledge and expierence on this site though, I'm sure everyone will try to help you get the most bang for your buck if you ask the questions about the parts you are thinking about buying.

One thing I've seen hundreds of times is a guy buy three of the same part to finally end up at the best possible part. I.E. guy buys a white bros pipe(no offense :lol:) then figures out a CT or Sparks pipe makes more power but it still ain't enough and finially they buy a set of duals. Add all that up and they spent about 1600 bucks just on exhaust pipes but if they would have bought the best to begin with, they would have only spent 650.

Remember, its an arms race, you gotta go get a NUC to win it for good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i never raced one eather would like to

the other day this kid just got a brand spanking new 700

the very next day he fliped it trying to go up a hill, my buddy

told him not to go up it i guess he took it the wrong way and did it any way.

he's lucky just minor damage to the atv

i dont know if im hard headed but i thinnk i like carburator's better than

fuel injection

·
Registered
912 Posts
sucks for that kid but i'm sure fuel injection had nothing to do with that. You will continue to like carburators until its freezing outside and the 660 takes a year to start when the fuel injected 700 fires right up EVERYTIME. :thumbsup: 8)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've had mine for 4 years and kept very good care of it, it starts as soon as I touch the start button everytime since, granted it may have needed to be choked, but still started everytime,...in any weather condition. Having troubles with the one-way is the only problem I've ever had.

·
Registered
735 Posts
mine starts as soon as the button is pushed too, even in the freezing cold. All 3 700s of my friends' dont star like that, require a lil push of thumb to get em running. I like carbs because I dont want to use a scan tool to check my bike, bad enough I have to use one on the truck.

As for speed shifting as you call it, both benifit from that. The power curve falls off and you loose HP by waiting too long to shift, I let the motor do the work, not the rev limiter. Any bike that produces but loads of low end power benifits from riding this way. I was riding a KTM 525sx, and thats how it like to be rode too. I almost always trail ride a gear high too, if I need more grunt I just two stroke it a bit and go(clutch and rev).

My advice is, yup the 700 is more advanced than the 660, but its like evolution...things get better. Majorly agree with the arms race statement. Look at the LRD 700 raptor in last years DW mag. It was a 660, bored to 686 and maybe ported, but with bolt ons that would spank banshees with big mods too. Get some internals in a 700 and that would be one heck of a scary machine! These motors want to be built, just be for it. I love seeing people on this fourm build up thier bikes. Its great, love the big fish stories too. In the end we are on big happy family that loves quads and loves to tinker with things to make em better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
912 Posts
danos660r, your 3 buddys with 700s that require a lil push of thumb to get them running may want to have them checked out. No throttle should ever be required when starting a fuel-injected anything. The ecu controls all that for us if I'm correct. BTW I think the one-way in my 700 is going out. What are some tell-tell signs? 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just got the white bros muffler, aside from that, what are my best bang for the buck mods (brands & model)?  Is a full system really that much better than just the muffler? Should I e-bay the white bros. and get something else?
Remember, I'm on a pretty tight budget, just built a house and bought the wife an Envoy. I already pretty much blew my wad just getting the thing running, up from the ashes litterally. As far as my buddies 700, he's in the process of builing a drag car, so all of his extra funds are currently going into that. After the drag car is done, it'll be a whole different story. I'm just praying for snow (I own a snow removal company) so I can fund some go fast goodies.

·
Registered
735 Posts
pipe will make a dif, esp when your motor is more beefed up. At this point, a good running machine is your best bet. when i decided to remove the lid, and had only the stock filter, I just cut the rear of lid off only laving enough to hod the filter tight (its under the seat, who cares what it looks like.) next step is jetting it right. I just bought a few jets at the dealer, no need to invest in a kit as far as im concerned. moved the needle clips.

as for mods later, Id think a cam (stage one for now), if you have to take the motor apart, a piston swap isnt too expensive. Bore job if you have the funds, or "need" to. Im really happy with the port job trinity does., larger valves if you plan on really going extreme someday...if you are doing head work, may as well get it done...I went +1mm on mine. When putting head on, I got a cometic head gasket...its a wee bit thinner giving a bit more comp. The head pipe really makes a diff after these mods... thats when I upgraded mine, very noticable. Just for a ref, with all these mods I run 165 170 main jets

as for the one way noise...or failure, chk out raptor tranny website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read the carb 101 thread and got a wild hair and pulled the carbs off tonight. 140/145 main jets. With a K&N, no lid and a decent pipe, would 155/160 be a start? Or does 160/165 sound better. Thanks for all of the advice, its been a BIG help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
CAROLINA_700R said:
sucks for that kid but i'm sure fuel injection had nothing to do with that. You will continue to like carburators until its freezing outside and the 660 takes a year to start when the fuel injected 700 fires right up EVERYTIME. :thumbsup: 8)
o i was just throwing that in.

i know it had nothing to do with him crashing.

i know this off topic, i just got my bike fixed i have'nt hoped on it for about a year now
because i sold my truck and due to it siting the carbs needed to be cleaned and valves
adjusted.

i use to go all the time twice a week if not once at holister
so now im going for my first time on saturday cant wait

see if i still got it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts