Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 660R 4wheeler that runs great, but the body chassis and all is pretty well shot from hard landings. I also have a YFZ 450 that has a blown motor but the rest is mint. Is it possible to put the 660R motor on the 450? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Anything is possible with enough work but you would be better off fixing the 450 motor id think... but as far as it bolting it i'd say no way, you would have to fab up some engine mounts for sure and lots of other little things to make it work(cables,wiring,exhaust,exc. good luck if you do it and lets see some pics if you do. But if it were me i wouldn't do it unless it was a R1 motor8)

·
Registered
819 Posts
You know Ive often thought about this combination. I ride a YFZ and am not a big fan of the power band on it but love the way the YFZ is so low and stable. The power band on the 660 is awesome and would be sweet as hell on the YFZ I think. It would take some work for sure though

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The motor is taller and longer, so have fun, I like challenges, but this would be a real challenge...............

·
Registered
819 Posts
Willykiller is so optimistic :) Hahahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completely agree with you raptorforme93. That's why Ive wanted to do this for a while. The unbelievable power from the ungoverned 660R is scary. But the bike doesn't do well with turns in tight trails. With the lower stance and crazy power the bike would be unstoppable on the trails. I'm going to look at the details on the frames, motor heights, etc. If I break down and do this project ill have the pictures posted for sure.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
why not just buy a 700?...

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
He already has both. But if you parted both out you could get a good start. Is the power on a 660 seriously that great? Good Luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yea he already has the motor and frame so it kinda makes sense if he is really serious about doing it. I think that the Raptor 660 has one of the best power bands ever. I love the tons of low end torque and the long gears. Plus its so easy to get a lot more power out of the engine and the aftermarket support is endless. Have you ever ridden a raptor 660? We have a raptor 350 and two 660s. If you ever get the chance to ride a 660 you will want one. Haha. I want to ride a raptor 700 :(

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I want a snowmobile right now. If you could ride a sled, you would want one also. I know I would want a 660 or 700. But a different quad is 3rd on the list:lol:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I want a snowmobile right now. If you could ride a sled, you would want one also. I know I would want a 660 or 700. But a different quad is 3rd on the list:lol:
If I lived in a place where it snowed I would definitely want a sled. But I live in Florida where it doesnt snow at all! It was 85 and beautiful yesterday :)

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I would take 40* over 85* anyday. There is nothing like doing 75mph in 12" of powder on a 550lb machine. How is your project going?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive ridden the 700 too. My brother has an 09 Limited Edition 700. the bike is crazy fast, but not as much low end torque as the 660. Still the bike is top heavy and not low to the ground for trail riding. If you love the open road or track its awesome. But I want the power of the 660 and the riding capabilities of the YFZ 450.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The seat height of the raptor 700 is one tenth of an inch taller than the YFZ450, yet you still call it top heavy. I have some unfortunate news, the height of the 660 engine means that even if you do get it in the YFZ frame it will still feel "top heavy" like the 700 does to you because like the 700 you're using essentially the same size and weight of motor and you're not dropping that weight down towards the ground in any meaningful distance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would take 40* over 85* anyday. There is nothing like doing 75mph in 12" of powder on a 550lb machine. How is your project going?
I would have fun in 40* weather but I do not want to live in it. Haha. I would rather take a big vacation every year to go skiing and sled riding. Snow mobiles are awesome :) I dont think that he has started to project yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts